@Riot: A proposed solution to the language probrem

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

10-05-2012
1 of 1 Riot Posts

We've discussed a few times having some sort of solution that helps people play with people of their own language. Obviously, we've launched some platforms to help with this. But, we've also discussed either language preferential matching, or sub-territorial matchmaking. Recently, we instead built other features with those resources (most recently honor and spectate). We think that the rate at which this significantly impacts the enjoyment of players globally is actually a lot lower than you'd expect. These do come with trade-offsf -- if you have this, you will increase everyone's matchmaking queue times because there are less players doing 'the same' thing. (obviously there are ways to mitigate this somewhat). You also give people an incentive in some cases to lie about their language for ranked play in order to play vs a territory with less league of legends experience.

These tradeoffs are solvable, and mostly serve to increase the amount of effort we'd have to put in to do a good job -- which thus far has made other stuff like honor and spectate higher value for players.

That being said, I think it's an area we could improve, and I know we periodically assess if it's the right time to do it (usually by looking at chat log data, surveys, etc, and comparing to the other goals we are trying to support). We do have a lot of developers on social systems and player behavior, and this is the sort of feature they do periodically consider vs the other options.

PowaLegend

10-05-2012

Since the number of south america players, can we get our own server?

Seriously, I think that give BRAZIL their own server is just stupid, they are the only country of south america that speak portuguese. And anyways, that server is hosted in Miami, so the biggest problem, the ping, is not solved.

Goodtimes18

10-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
You also give people an incentive in some cases to lie about their language for ranked play in order to play vs a territory with less league of legends experience.
Let's queue up against the Canadians to boost ELO, they suck at LoL!

Taikero

10-05-2012

It would be nice to be able to set your preferential language (predominantly English, Spanish, and French for the majority of North America) to help with communication.

I've been matched up with many Spanish-speaking players and it is incredibly frustrating being unable to work with your team to accomplish things. I wouldn't mind being matched with the occasional Spanish player if I set my preferential language to English, but most of the time I'd prefer being able to communicate with all members of my team.

Sharag

10-05-2012

Quote:
We've discussed a few times having some sort of solution that helps people play with people of their own language. Obviously, we've launched some platforms to help with this. But, we've also discussed either language preferential matching, or sub-territorial matchmaking. Recently, we instead built other features with those resources (most recently honor and spectate). We think that the rate at which this significantly impacts the enjoyment of players globally is actually a lot lower than you'd expect. These do come with trade-offsf -- if you have this, you will increase everyone's matchmaking queue times because there are less players doing 'the same' thing. (obviously there are ways to mitigate this somewhat). You also give people an incentive in some cases to lie about their language for ranked play in order to play vs a territory with less league of legends experience.

These tradeoffs are solvable, and mostly serve to increase the amount of effort we'd have to put in to do a good job -- which thus far has made other stuff like honor and spectate higher value for players.

That being said, I think it's an area we could improve, and I know we periodically assess if it's the right time to do it (usually by looking at chat log data, surveys, etc, and comparing to the other goals we are trying to support). We do have a lot of developers on social systems and player behavior, and this is the sort of feature they do periodically consider vs the other options.
Aww, duuude... you just ruined your troll post streak with this. I am disappoint.

On topic:

I actually play on EUNE server and we have way more languages than the 2-3 you have on NA servers and I don't think language barrier in itself is the problem, it's just that you have encountered a toxic player who just happens not to speak English. But ask yourself this, would the game be any better if he spoke English? Probably not. So as Zileas said, it might be better to focus on general behavior improvement rather than language filtering.

Yaddar

10-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaafGrohiik View Post
What I propose is simple: Allow players to select (once per account, per lifetime) which languages they speak, or which languages they are comfortable playing with.

what If I learn french in a couple of years?

people can learn leanguages, you know.

GaafGrohiik

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaddar View Post
what If I learn french in a couple of years?

people can learn languages, you know.
read the whole post before you look like a jackass - someone already pointed this out without reading the whole post, and I cover it specifically in the original post.

Quote:

Thank you for your input. I understand that queue times would be effected - but that is why I propose making it a choice - those that are absolutely fine with a longer wait to ensure they play with English-speaking teammates have the ability to select that trade-off. I really don't think it'll have much of an effect on Normals - my queue times are usually less than 20 seconds.

I think the honor system was very well executed and I've already seen a significant drop in the number of jackwagons in my games. I hope that tweaking this system remains on your teams' radar- from what you said it seems as though they're considering exactly the kinds of steps I'd like to see taken. Also, when it comes to lying about language selection - I doubt those people would have much success in ranked if they are unable to communicate with their team. I'm not sure how region determines skill base..?

Also - I hope it's clear that I think the language selections should (of course) overlap - English-Only speakers would be matched with people who selected English as one of their choices, and not just English-Only selections. Just wanted to clarify that bit.

selfmurder

10-07-2012

On forums i waist time
so im going to buy a waste to look fine

Talesdro

10-07-2012

Quote:

Just dont force us to matchmake only with our region.

Alistar is Amumu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

Quote:

I would gladly wait 10 minutes for a game instead of 30 seconds if it meant that my match would be free of people who cannot understand the words that I am typing in a game based entirely on which team communicates better.