Riot's approach to Canon

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BusuTabby

10-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fomorian27 View Post
I completely understand the need to change old lore because some of it doesn't make much sense. Nothing in Warwick's gameplay and appearance shows that he is actually an alchemist. And it doesn't make sense that Singed, who is the archetypal mad chemist, only plays second fiddle to warwick. It was perplexing to me to find out he was just an apprentice to warwick. Didn't make a whole lot of sense.

I have no attachment to the old lore just because it happens to be old. Nor to I miss the quality of it. The problem is that some of the new lore isn't much better than the old. There are some contradictions, big and small, that occur in the new lore, the most obvious one being warwick cutting soraka but still not having any blood for his potion. It was good that riot acknowledged their mistake and changed the lore to make singed's potion require soraka's heart rather than her blood, but a mistake like that you'd think they'd catch on the first readthrough, rather than having fans point it out.
what kind of ridiculous reasoning is it that someone cannot be one thing in their past and something different in the present because "it's not reflected in their gameplay"?

seriously, this is so beyond weak that it's way beyond laughable. what's character development, can you eat it???

the idea that he has gone from a man who probably has never seen physical combat to someone who rips the faces off of his foes and relishes in bloodshed caused by his own hand is 1000000x more compelling than 'some kidnapper who is doing the same **** as always, only with more fur' and only has soraka as a reason to be there, rather than quelling his intense desire for general bloodshed without the concern that he would be put down was was alluded to in the joj issue where he was drugged and murdered a bunch of people in zaun)

ww does in no way overshadow singed any more. the student has surpassed the teacher and the old story still puts that point of contention between them where ww can be like 'you're only better known than me for alchemy now because i was taken out of the running'. the new lore is herp derp we're "friends" and warwick has no discernible reason to fight for anyone but himself and it STILL makes no sense because now he has a time limit on how long he'll be sentient.

there is nothing good about warwick's new lore. nothing. it and soraka's is contrived, poorly put together, black and white and above all dull.

Joystick

10-04-2012

Kitae, are there any chances of a League of Legends novel? Though Halo started as a simple shooter, the Universe that it uses is very rich in part because of the tie-in novels. Could not LoL take a similar approach? I personally could tell you that I definitely would read a League of Legends novel if one existed.

Cerubois

10-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpert Rigged View Post
Kitae, are there any chances of a League of Legends novel? Though Halo started as a simple shooter, the Universe that it uses is very rich in part because of the tie-in novels. Could not LoL take a similar approach? I personally could tell you that I definitely would read a League of Legends novel if one existed.
I'd like to turn Guiding Light into one, if permitted. Would be cool to be published under Riot.

Ecclessian

10-04-2012

Do you guys plan to continue with the current story model (ex. We are summoners using these champs in the league)? Because, at least to me, that approach to the story is getting weaker and weaker as more champs are released.

I simply don't believe the likes of renekton, syndra, varus,xerath and those similar to them would live under the yoke of the summoners.

As time passes for us in the real world, i would assume time is moving along in runeterra as well. How have those oh-so-kind summoners been making progress in helping xerath out of his coffin? How is fiddlesticks still stuck in his room? Why did varus accept the blight, essentially putting a time limit on his life before being consumed, just to put a hurt on Noxians that won't actually die for real (which is what I would imagine he wants)?

I could go on with several of the champions but I'm already rambling. To sum things up though, it made sense when champs like ashe and irelia were there for political purposes and to prevent their countries' destruction or even sivir who is just a bounty hunter in it for wealth. Now though the motivations don't mesh well with the league, not to me at least.

creedda

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-04-2012

Quote:
When your only tool is a hammer every problem looks like a nail. At launch the only way we had of communicating lore was bios. We're working on new ways of communicating this greater context.
The Journal of Justice was a pretty good tool IMO.

kitae

Lead Designer

10-04-2012
6 of 6 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpert Rigged View Post
We're definitely open to this when we find the right author. Many video games books are not that great, we'll be careful about who we work with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerubois View Post
So does this mean Riven and Lux are officially a pairing? Because they should be. And you know it. And everyone knows it.
If you can show how that is clearly concluded from Riot published lore by all means please do so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorryza View Post
At this point, what is determining Canon from Fanon (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Fanon?
I think you guys are discerning enough to see the difference. You can always ask "what's the source" in any discussion if it isn't clear. Like the term though, I may use that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerglinator View Post
kitae, I have to ask: could something be done to expand to lore tab under a champion's profile? Like including certain questions from the AMAs you do? When Soraka and Warwick's new lore was released on live, it seemed like NO ONE had read the AMA at all. It could also include stuff like the champ sneak peeks...maybe pls?
We would like to improve the information shown on the champion profile page on the web site to include more information. Actively working on that. In client I am not a huge fan of putting a lot of info I would prefer to make it easier for players to access stuff on the web site from client.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HideousZipleback View Post
First of all, I really appreciate you taking the time to talk to us about this stuff - I have to believe you could be doing other things with your time, and so coming here and putting your plans out there for us fans is a big deal, and it means a lot.

That said, and I hate to be one of the "new lore delivery WHERe" folks, but we've been hearing the "we're working on new ways" line for a long time. We used to get a fairly good sized chunk of lore 2-3 times a month (with JoJ and Judgements). Now we get a snippet 1-2 a month (with bios; and the AMA's add a bit of flavor, to be fair).

Is there anything you can share with us at this point? I know you're playing this close to the vest with this stuff, but can you at least give us a status update? Are you any closer to unveiling new lore delivery methods now than you were a month ago? Six months ago? A year ago? (I have to believe you are, but as far as I know nothing has been said about it other than Soon).
I realize you guys want more lore, and updated bios while better than no new lore is not as satisfying as new stories occurring outside of bios. We're working on them, yes we are closer than we were a year ago, and I'll tell you guys when I'm confident something is coming soon. So give us some time, but I understand it is frustrating to wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryptomine View Post
I understand this, but keep in mind that you've been saying this for, I believe, quite literally a year now and we have no more details on it now than we did then. By all means keep working on whatever it is until you're satisfied, but you also have to remember people's frustration when they keep being told "We have all this cool stuff we're writing that we'll show you, someday...."
Is your name Zilean because you are SPEEDING UP TIME! My first word on this topic was July 31st 2012. So start your clocks from then. Not saying that nothing was happening before that, but if you want to talk in terms of what I've been telling the community that's the official date. I'll see you July 31st 2013 and hey by all means, feel free to ask me for a one year update on that date.

Zuphlas

10-04-2012

All I'm going to say is go and fix mordekaiser's lore to say he's from the shadow isles again, he is NOT from noxus and you guys had no business changing it. He is less of a BAMF for this senseless change, so kindly go fix what you messed up. Sorry if that sounds rude, but morde was the first champion that really interested me when I joined the game years ago so this one is personal.

Waafu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-04-2012

Would a rough ETA be too much to ask for? I don't care how broad it is - do you think there will be new lore elements, say, by the end of the year?

mackman

10-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitae View Post
We're definitely open to this when we find the right author. Many video games books are not that great, we'll be careful about who we work with.
Is there a way to apply for this? Is there a way to send in a sample chapter or two to get it looked at?

Dorryza

10-04-2012

Also, Kitae, does this change potentially mean that if (to give an arbitrary example) a fanfiction story is written well enough, and builds well off established canon, it could be considered true Canon? Or if enough fans (at least, say, 80%) support an idea, could you guys make it a reality?

AKA could http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph.../AscendedFanon be somehow become a reality in LoL?