Updates to Legal Jibber Jabber

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LiegeWaffles

10-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreampod View Post
Both are viable from a technical standpoint since the client main page loads a webpage. From a usefulness standpoint they will almost certainly be using the client since the majority of the playerbase never visits the website and they want the broadest data available.
That's just a silly idea...
- other websites don't link to the client, but do link to the website
- it's highly unlikely that you're using the same software components for PVP.net browsing and general webbrowsing, so there isn't the strong link there needed to make 3rd party cookies and tracking pixels effective (for just PVP.net they could just look through their weblogs. I really should download and look through my weblogs again to see what oddball search engine search terms got people to my website... )
So most likely your LoL website browsing getting correlated with your browsing of other websites that are using the same 3rd party cookie/tracking pixel service.

Enofel

10-04-2012

Lol, putting arbitration linked to dictionary! Teaching those 12 yr old boys n rarely girls about spelling

El Greevo

10-04-2012

"i've read and agreed to the terms of use"

yeah, u can bet I read them all.

Dreampod

10-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiegeWaffles View Post
That's just a silly idea...
- other websites don't link to the client, but do link to the website
- it's highly unlikely that you're using the same software components for PVP.net browsing and general webbrowsing, so there isn't the strong link there needed to make 3rd party cookies and tracking pixels effective (for just PVP.net they could just look through their weblogs. I really should download and look through my weblogs again to see what oddball search engine search terms got people to my website... )
So most likely your LoL website browsing getting correlated with your browsing of other websites that are using the same 3rd party cookie/tracking pixel service.
Third party tracking pixels and cookies are not designed for tracking one-step distant incoming traffic because they already get that information from the HTTP referer. What they are going to want to be tracking is what you do outside your LoL time - where do you do online shopping, what hobbies or interests do you follow, are lots of players strongly interested in politics, etc for the purposes of getting sponsors and selling advertisements for their season 3 weekly circuit.

The reason however that they would harvest this information through the client rather than the website is that the population that visits the website is not a majority and is not representative of the playerbase as a whole. If they collect only from the website they are only going to see the most dedicated chunk of the playerbase rather than a realistic view of what all their players are interested in and doing.

SupremeDeity

10-04-2012

What's the big deal about this whole new contract thing and why are there people saying they don't want a "big brother system" (obviously I know what that is and that it's bad but can someone explain it in layman's terms?)

Kazerioth

10-04-2012

Yeah, while I do play your game, piss off Riot. Like other smart users, I use tracking cookie blocking programs. Already get enough of this tracking **** from google alone.

Deftlet

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-05-2012

wheres the part where its now legal for riot to use champion concepts!!!!!!

Dèíty

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-05-2012

Happy to see I'm not the only one who is bored to tears in Contracts.

LameBlade

10-05-2012

Don't read it!!! They can't hold you to it if you don't read it!!!

painl3sss

10-06-2012

Uhmm does this remind anyone of that south park commercial lol " i will agree to let riot do experimental experiments on me"

"i will agree to let riot sew ones anus to another ones mouth" hahahahah lol