Updates to Legal Jibber Jabber

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Malurth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-03-2012

Whew. Was scared you were changing the Youtube/video ads stuff one (because its URL is actually /legal-jibber-jabber/)

Which I am STILL in disputes with YouTube about. Sigh. They never respond.

Tenmar

10-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomar View Post
Hey Summoners,

We wanted to give you an early heads-up that we’ll be making a few changes to those massive documents of legal jibber-jabber that you agree to when you play League of Legends – the Privacy Policy, Terms of Use (TOU) and End User License Agreement (EULA). The changes will be taking effect in the next patch (scheduled for October 9th), and today we’ll outline some of the key changes you can expect to see. It’s not a lot, but if you’re interested, read on (and of course, be sure to familiarize yourself with all the changes when the complete docs are posted):

Privacy Policy

• We’re now TRUSTe certified, which is the highest standard of privacy protection out there. You’ll see their seal on our website in the near future. You can read all about what that means at [url2="http://www.truste.com/products-and-services/consumer_privacy/privacy-programs-requirements#WPS"]TRUSTe’s website[/url2].
  • We want to understand where new League of Legends players are coming from, so we’re gonna make use of more 3rd party cookies as well as tracking pixels, and the updated policy reflects this.
  • Riot collects data/information associated with making a payment (rather than simply passing it along to third parties). We don’t do anything with that info except charge your card when you purchase RP (thanks!). We’ve added more clear language regarding refer-a-friend, newsletters, how to change your account info, and other services Riot provides.

TOU and EULA

• We’re the only ones who have access to personally identifiable information you provide directly to Riot.
  • Like in the privacy policy update, we collect and store payment data.
  • In the event of a dispute, you and Riot agree to binding, individual [url2="http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Binding+arbitration"]arbitration[/url2] of your claims (except for in certain, limited circumstances).

I’ll check out the comments section and try to answer any burning questions.

I would really appreciate a way to opt out from the arbitration. I'm sorry but I really do believe in our US justice system than having to go through a private company deciding what should be the decision of an actual judge appointed by our federal government.

I don't care if I have to deliver a letter in the mail. There should be a way to opt out because I don't care how you want to spin it, if I had a choice between our legal system that is backed by the US constitution or a private arbitration company that gets to play fast and loose with the rules I'll stand by my constitution and my rights.

So my question or I should say request to you is this Lomar. Would you please include the ability for players to opt-out? Riot should pride itself by giving consumers the option to maintain that player rapport knowing that you truly do believe in justice through both the US legal system and through private arbitration.

hakumen o

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-03-2012

I present
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warden_%28software%29
**** you riot.

CupcakeTrap

10-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenmar View Post
I would really appreciate a way to opt out from the arbitration. I'm sorry but I really do believe in our US justice system than having to go through a private company deciding what should be the decision of an actual judge appointed by our federal government.

I don't care if I have to deliver a letter in the mail. There should be a way to opt out because I don't care how you want to spin it, if I had a choice between our legal system that is backed by the US constitution or a private arbitration company that gets to play fast and loose with the rules I'll stand by my constitution and my rights.
In fairness, in a single-plaintiff suit, you're much more likely to get a small-claims court or state local judge than a federal district judge.

I would also add that (to me) the biggest concern is not impartiality (though that's important) but instead whether they'll, e.g., require travel to LA to bring your claim.

I can't imagine ever suing Riot. But people often can't imagine suing until things go bad in a way they didn't expect. I suppose there might be something with data privacy.

Anyway, I'd really just personally like to see Riot take the lead and be the Good Guys here. A lot of software companies are trying to abuse consumers with quasi-legal intimidation. The courts so far seem willing to accommodate them.

I think a lot of people have a paranoid, conservative-influenced view that "lawsuits" mean "some guy in a suit walks up to a courthouse, 12 jurors scream EMOTIONAL DAMAGES! and everyone goes bankrupt and an eagle cries." (Check out the wildly misreported summaries of the "McDonald's coffee case", then read what actually happened there.)

I sometimes think companies are so afraid of this legal "bogeyman" that they think they have to find some way to prevent lawsuits from happening ever. That's not healthy. If companies take their customers' concerns into account, they won't be sued. Honestly, I think that if a company does something wrong and someone is injured in the process, they should compensate that person appropriately: if you do $100 of damage to somebody, you should be voluntarily offering them $100 to make it better.

It's not arbitration itself I have an issue with -- it's companies using it as a way to prevent injured customers from getting compensation, e.g. by requiring travel to a distant location.

Lomar

Associate Producer

10-03-2012
2 of 7 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoshioPeePee View Post
reading this post during a law school contracts course :P
That's a good use of your time in Contracts. There is no sarcasm in this reply.

thegreatall

10-03-2012

As stated before by others... remove the arbitration please! Arbitration is an evil thing designed to keep companies from being sued... Back your product fully, remove arbitration!

LiegeWaffles

10-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Gobball View Post
You mentioned wanting to know where league players are coming from... will this in any way accelerate the formation of Australia/Oceania servers? I am very keen to hear of some progress towards that.
"where they are coming from" isn't your physical location (they can get that from the IP addresses), but which other websites you visit...

PLT

Recruiter

10-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiegeWaffles View Post
"where they are coming from" isn't your physical location (they can get that from the IP addresses), but which other websites you visit...
yup
that's why i have a bad feeling about this

ThaddeusMike

10-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatall View Post
As stated before by others... remove the arbitration please! Arbitration is an evil thing designed to keep companies from being sued... Back your product fully, remove arbitration!
The problem is that failing to include such clauses means they are effectively surrendering control. RIOT could choose to offer compensation to injured parties (if, say, the game causes my computer to break or they accidentally give away my credit card info), and for PR considerations some companies will occasionally do such things. However, if it comes to a fight they have things stacked in their favor. On the flip side, it does offer protection from frivolous litigation.

pimpsht

10-03-2012

broo LoLs so buffed up right now!