Compete with Honor!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Primanocte

10-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griddlez View Post
Why does there need to be a reward for doing the right thing?
Because Riot can't be bothered to police their own game, so, they us do it for them and call it Honor and Tribunal. The more we do, the less resources they have to devote, the more money they make and the more overpriced skins and over powered champs we get.

RockHonorRoll

10-01-2012

Hmm... I like it

Master Shue

10-01-2012

Hey Dr Lyte,

Its me again. I've got a serious question that hasnt been answer yet and i posted this in your previous forun "introducing honor". I dont know if you've already seen this, but i really want to know. IF you can answer me plz do, if not plz tell why:

When a player recieves the honorable status, will s/he be more likely to be que'd up with other honorable players? Or will honorable players still have to deal with the toxic players and lose their honor points? Because these days there seems to be a toxic player in every game, and it's growing by the day. When there's a toxic player, there is a very low chance that people will even consider to distribute the honor points. These toxic players have an infection rate of over 9000, and I don't see how the honor point is going to be viable, given that a toxic player can infect the whole team.

Scarey

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praetor View Post
You know what, I do like the idea of just being happy with myself after receiving praise. I just have very little faith in humanity, as a whole, that this is enough. Half-hearted attempts need to be scrutinized more, and that is why I am so adamant this is not enough.
You just have to pick your battles here man.

Half-hearted attempt in a non-essential service such as an online video game: meh.

Half-hearted attempt in a government program that effects your day to day life: yes please.

uberfamous

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-01-2012

Lyte, what happens if I'm playing with friends who are much lower skilled than I am, but they continuously honor me? will either of us see a ban or suspension coming our way?

I wonder because I am always trying to help friends over skype and such, so it might seem like they are just trying to send me honor for no reason.

Sisuwolf

10-01-2012

This new honor system is great. It has so much potential depending on how it is used. I know right now since it is new it won't affect much but in the future there will be more rewards/punishments based on honor and this will be great. It will give incentive to not troll, the one thing that ruins this game more than anything else. Another thing that I would think would be great to implement with this honor system would be to match up players in randoms according to honor. You could try matchmaking strategies where people with more honor get matched up with others with a similar honor level and people with low honor get matched up with others with low honor. This would devastate the trolls since, over time, the trolls would just end up getting matched up with other trolls. People who are nice, and players who at least try, and don't troll would get rewarded by being matched up with others with high honor. To me this would be the greatest reward possible, way better than an exclusive skin for being honorable or RP or IP. To be fair I will try to see the downsides to this possible implementation, yet the only downside I can see is a new kind of "Honor Hell" similar to the so called "ELO Hell". I don't believe ELO Hell exists though. At 100 wins, I thought I knew it all. Then I hit 200 wins and I thought "Wow I really knew nothing at 100 wins." Then at 300 wins I'm sure I will realize that at 200 wins I knew nothing compared to what I know at 300 wins. My point being that I feel the more games and roles you play the better you get and you will be given a higher ELO if you truly deserve it. I feel with this system the same rules would apply and if you truly are a honorable player, over time, you will be placed with other honorable players and this "Honor Hell" would just be a fantasy that the trolls complain about because they will get no pleasure from trolling other trolls. Now I don't have a PhD and many have been playing way longer than me but these are just the thoughts of a logical thinking person and I hope many will agree with me that this would be a great system.

For those that say TLDR my basic message is about implementing a system where, in randoms, you get matched with others with a similar honor so that eventually trolls will just get matched up with other trolls. Everyone will be happy ... except the trolls of course.

Ghan04

10-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primanocte View Post
Because Riot can't be bothered to police their own game, so, they us do it for them and call it Honor and Tribunal. The more we do, the less resources they have to devote, the more money they make and the more overpriced skins and over powered champs we get.
I highly doubt that's the case. It would be more cost-effective for Riot to have hired all of Team Player Behavior to just police the game and ban trolls than to pay them to develop, code, and implement these systems.
The whole point here is to make League of Legends more enjoyable and a positive experience for everyone.

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

10-01-2012
18 of 81 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praetor View Post
He is not my professor, past or present. He did chuckle, and then, what I didn't tell you, he went on to explain a few studies conducted in the 1970s, 80s, 90s, and on a few he's been keeping up with fairly recently. Most of the conversation was brief and a tad over my head, but the chuckle was nice to hear. I was promptly pleased to hear the chuckle, as that was my response and being vastly uneducated in the field of psychology. Then, after it was explained very briefly, I was more shocked that this was greenlit, an experiment on a customer base, but I was assured it happens often, to which I was more disgusted. Also, Howard Hughes was a great man. I hope you appreciate his philanthropic pursuits, as well as his condition.

In a world without incentives, we may have utopia. In a world with incentives, we may have utopia as well. One thing is for certain, the governments lacking incentives also lack a positive outlook when they're easily viewed among the trash heap of history.
There's several problems here:

Having been immersed in the field of neuroscience and psychology, I'm very familiar with the studies you are alluding to. However, you lack major pieces of information. For example, do you know how intrinsic versus extrinsic rewards influence behaviors? Which one is more likely to encourage permanent change?

Compare the following: Who would the system identify if we announced tangible rewards? Is this the same population that the current system (without rewards) would identify today? If these two populations are different, why would we choose one over the other?

Secondly, this is game development. It's not a lab where we can control every variable. This is the difference between academia and industry. Players will try to abuse the system and unexpected behaviors will be born. The key is iteration. In a perfect world, you assign a team of 20 machine learners and predictive modelers to try to predict every possible outcome of the Honor Initiative, then launch everything at once and no iterations are required and the system is perfect. Is that reasonable? No.

You have to work on these systems and iterate over time. Release features. Collect data. Analyze data. Iterate. Collect data. Analyze data. Re-iterate. Repeat. It's how a scientist would do it and at Team Player Behavior, this is how we do it.

Ghan04

10-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberfamous View Post
Lyte, what happens if I'm playing with friends who are much lower skilled than I am, but they continuously honor me? will either of us see a ban or suspension coming our way?

I wonder because I am always trying to help friends over skype and such, so it might seem like they are just trying to send me honor for no reason.
If they continually Honor you in every game, then their Honor pool to hand out will likely run out quite quickly, but it is unlikely you will be punished by the system.

BrokenCrown

10-01-2012

YES! I've been wanting them to do something like this since The Tribunal!