League Judgments: Constructive Criticism

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Blackhandsaint

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-18-2010

I love that League Judgments are being released. Having an extra bit of back story for every character is a really nice addition to the lore. However, the rigid formatting of the League Judgments is beginning to lose its appeal. I realize that the League Judgment (as far as I can tell) is supposed to be a standardized procedure, but having each and every character relive X traumatic event/experience Y thematic hallucination is, for me, a little boring. It seems like every judgment consists of:

1. Character walks stylishly into the judgment chamber

2. Character experiences a hallucination of a past event

3a. Said past event is extremely traumatic and horrifies the character

3b. Said past event turns into a hallucination of what might have been and/or a dark reflection

4. A significant person from the character's hallucination starts asking probing questions

5. A judge asks "How does it feel exposing your mind?" And "good" characters smile and say thank you and "evil" characters lose their cool and say something to the effect of "I must kill X!"

This formula, while it can work, has been done several times now. My suggestion is to make League Judgments more than just flashy re-enactments of past glories/tragedies and make their format a little more personal. A mysterious interview, a quest given and performance evaluated, a committee dedicated to rooting out the champion's past ties with the Communist party, etc. It just seems that with all the different kinds of champions in the League, there should be all different kinds of evaluations to suite each one's unique story and keep each Judgment fresh.

Those are just my two cents, does anyone else have any thoughts?

Morrowlife

09-18-2010

I think the formula for Judgements is a comforting thing. We know what's coming, so we can better analyze the character after receiving the information. It also gives us insight as to what it takes to Join the League. It is, in and of itself, a personal interview; the champions are introspecting, what's more personal than asking questions straight from your mind? They are basically answering their deepest questions, responding to their fears, and discovering their one true purpose through the League's inspection.

It's like the League took a class on Psychology. It's pretty amazing.

Petrichor1

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-18-2010

I agree, the league judgement are well written but they lack any creativeness.

Morrowlife

09-18-2010

Lack of creativity? I don't think so; each champion has a unique back story. Sure, the means of which they are presented are similar, but even still they all don't have the same story. Maybe it just doesn't suit all of our tastes.

Zzilb

09-18-2010

Hmm.. Im torn.
In some ways I want to side with Morrowlife in saying the formula doesnt impact the true point of the Judgements. Besides this, they are restricted by size. The lore team doesnt wanna pump out a novel with each champ. In operating in a pattern they can save a bit of space. They hardly have to set the stage anymore. They hardly have to introduce anyone irrelevant. They can focus on simply embellishing on the Champ's driving motivations in a way they didnt for the profile.

In saying "X traumatic event/experience Y thematic hallucination", youre attempting to take away the adequately unique parts by implying they dont matter at all. Youre saying "Oh, its just another Western movie, YAWN". You know what? Yeah there are cowboy hats involved. Good observation, now pass me the popcorn.

Yet, on the other hand, I dont want the Lore team to restrict themselves. We're getting up there in champ tally and theres no sign of stopping. If they relax and lose themselves in their pattern, we may see the day where each new Judgement is truly just the bio scrambled about; no demonstration of personality or added detail on their motivation. Little thought given to who this person really is.

Morrowlife

09-18-2010

Zzilb, when you put it that way, I can somewhat agree. Assuming we keep going with champions (and it's a given) we will one day run this well dry. Even so... the way that each was written so far indicates a very different light. When I read Xin's, I can get a lot out of what he feels is important. When I read Sona's, I was amazed at the skill it took to write a mute character's thoughts without words. When I read Miss Fortune's, I was shocked at the story of her origins.

The fact remains that no current Judgement is very much like the others, and that's good enough for me.

Floats

09-18-2010

I think the judgments are a little too predicatable you know? I really like the champion bios because we get to learn more about the history of the champion.

The judgements just go over the dramtic part of their bio, so we don't really get to learn any new info about them most of the time(or at least very little extra is told).

I guess I just don't like reading the characters bio and then thinking "Oh well I can't wait to hear about THAT again in the judgment". You know? I wish I didn't know what was coming. I wish the judgments told us something that wasn't generalized in the bio.

WolfSummoner

09-18-2010

The judgement revelations aren't really mentioned in the bio. The bio may give us a hint as to how the character acts and a little insight into their personality but having the judgments from the champ's perspective gives us so much more. And since, like Morrowlife said, the procedure is standardized, we can see how each champ reacts to the same thing and really understand who the champion is. Not sure if anyone will get this reference, but it's like the George R. R. Martin books of A Song of Ice and Fire where there are so many different perspectives on the same event letting you know their traits that much better.

Blackhandsaint

09-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzilb View Post
In saying "X traumatic event/experience Y thematic hallucination", youre attempting to take away the adequately unique parts by implying they dont matter at all. Youre saying "Oh, its just another Western movie, YAWN". You know what? Yeah there are cowboy hats involved. Good observation, now pass me the popcorn.
Sorry for not being clear, but I'm not trying to diminish the uniqueness of each champion's story. What I'm trying to drive at is that while formula can be convenient and efficient, it also deadens freshness and sympathy. After reading through the League Judgments, I really became inured to the traumas that each champion experienced because they were presented in the same fashion with the same consequences. In essence, repetition cheapened the experience for me.

AstorSapolsky

09-19-2010

I'm planning on writing a judgment for Singed that may be more your style.

I did one for Teemo, and yeah I have to admit it was easier to write since such a strong frame has been built. Granted, I didn't have to worry about the implications of my lore or the impact on his character (especially since it was ultimately leading up to a joke), but I can see how the formula can get repetitive.

The difference is, though, that for a lore junkie, you may end up reading all of them. A normal player might read a few for his mains, and won't be tired of seeing the pattern.