Lux's Face Icon [With Solution]

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ask the Megling

09-28-2012

I don't like the new Lux art, but since it's happening anyway, I want it to be as good as possible. Bump.

Nyrone

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************1 View Post
Can you do the same with Miss Fortune's? The zoom on her summoner icon makes her face look like she's pressing it against a glass pane.
Cannot Unsee

Now that's all I will see, I hate you.

Alma

09-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
I agree with this specific problem a lot - a lot of what makes a good splash doesn't always translate into a good face icon. This causes a problem because you might have to make compromises to one or the other (in this case, Lux's face portrait in-game looks strange because of the sizing).

I'm not an artist (and by that I mean I'm so terrible at art I'm like a nega-artist), but I'm going to kick up some dust about how we might be able to make these different. I think there's two goals for these two pieces of art:

* Splashes should be intricate, high-detail renders of characters so you can get a cool idea of who they are and what they do. It's basically shippable concept art! It's job is to look super sweet.

* Icons present information to players in game. Its job, first and foremost, is to communicate information to players. Additionally, it should "look right" in some way that likely draws little attention to itself outside of the information factor.

Not only do I think separating the assets would solve the problem you lay out here, but I think it also can help make our icons look more clean and readable. And then the artists can focus on making stuff look great, and not hold back when these problems leer about.

three cheers for the Nega Artist!!!!

turrdfergason

09-28-2012

Quote:
I agree with this specific problem a lot - a lot of what makes a good splash doesn't always translate into a good face icon. This causes a problem because you might have to make compromises to one or the other (in this case, Lux's face portrait in-game looks strange because of the sizing).

I'm not an artist (and by that I mean I'm so terrible at art I'm like a nega-artist), but I'm going to kick up some dust about how we might be able to make these different. I think there's two goals for these two pieces of art:

* Splashes should be intricate, high-detail renders of characters so you can get a cool idea of who they are and what they do. It's basically shippable concept art! It's job is to look super sweet.

* Icons present information to players in game. Its job, first and foremost, is to communicate information to players. Additionally, it should "look right" in some way that likely draws little attention to itself outside of the information factor.

Not only do I think separating the assets would solve the problem you lay out here, but I think it also can help make our icons look more clean and readable. And then the artists can focus on making stuff look great, and not hold back when these problems leer about.
So basically what you are saying is you are'nt going to do a damn thing about it because you are too busy working on 1350RP skins

DrSleuthXIII

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-28-2012

face icons are kind of stupid for the entire roster imo way too big unecessarily. Main concern is probably map but there can be two icons ffs.

Xpyder

09-28-2012

Lux's new art is one of, if not the best in the client currently, its unlike any other, true, but i like it much more than pretty much all others as well!!! Dont change it! And the chinese art? ahahaha **** when compared to it!

Quenton

09-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauryl View Post
I dont know why they didn't just use the vastly superior original Chinese art. I mean just look at how much of an improvement that is over the version they just added.
No. Just. No. In the Chinese art, Lux looks completely wasted. Look at those eyes. Blech.

No, the new art is much better.

Apollinarius

09-28-2012

Quote:

I agree wholeheartedly. While the connection between portraits and classic splash art makes sense on some basic level, I feel it's really starting to hold back some of the newer artwork. The new MF and Lux particularly suffer here because their poses are so significant that when you remove the context and just use the face, it looks downright ridiculous. I love the splash, and while I still prefer the new portraits to the old ones for MF and Lux, I feel that they could have been much better if the portraits were drawn independently.

So... Is there anyone at Riot actually working on creating this separation between splash and portrait? Or are we still in the "throwing around ideas" phase?

Apollinarius

09-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpyder View Post
Lux's new art is one of, if not the best in the client currently, its unlike any other, true, but i like it much more than pretty much all others as well!!! Dont change it! And the chinese art? ahahaha **** when compared to it!
I love the new art for Lux. It's the portrait that looks a little funny. But still, so much better than the old one

Sageoffire

09-28-2012

the QUALITY of the new art is spectatular

The theme that it trys to capture however, doesnt match with how a large number of players see Lux. Unless you are a loyal Lux fan, you really dont know much about her other than "OMG THE LAUGH!!! STOP STOP STOP!!!!"

The new splash fits THAT theme, but the many of us who play Lux are disappointed because that just isnt what shes really like.

and as for the minimap icon, and the portrait .. those are just a terrible terrible accident of the splash looking really realy weird when scaled down that small.