Lux's Face Icon [With Solution]

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Morello

Lead Designer

09-27-2012
2 of 6 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbushIntheDark View Post
While youre at it can you tell the art team to just use the Chinese Lux art instead?

That new one is an abomination
No, because everyone has an opinion on art and it differs. The opinion on whether people like this or not is scattered, where the old one was a mess objectively from an art standpoint :P

I'm only here to comment on the face icon problem; not opinions either way on the splash. Not only do I not know enough about art to explain anything in-depth, but I also don't really have interest in that subject. This argument will be a bunch of subjective statements thrown around, which in and of itself will drive me to drink.

Lauryl

09-27-2012

I dont know why they didn't just use the vastly superior original Chinese art. I mean just look at how much of an improvement that is over the version they just added.

Morello

Lead Designer

09-27-2012
3 of 6 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauryl View Post
I dont know why they didn't just use the vastly superior original Chinese art. I mean just look at how much of an improvement that is over the version they just added.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello
No, because everyone has an opinion on art and it differs. The opinion on whether people like this or not is scattered, where the old one was a mess objectively from an art standpoint :P

I'm only here to comment on the face icon problem; not opinions either way on the splash. Not only do I not know enough about art to explain anything in-depth, but I also don't really have interest in that subject. This argument will be a bunch of subjective statements thrown around, which in and of itself will drive me to drink
^

RemyReaper

09-27-2012

i like the zoomed out version better too

AmbushIntheDark

09-27-2012

Quote:
Nope, better to give her a huge forehead, psycho smile, and turn her spine into a slinky.

Dorotheus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
I agree with this specific problem a lot - a lot of what makes a good splash doesn't always translate into a good face icon. This causes a problem because you might have to make compromises to one or the other (in this case, Lux's face portrait in-game looks strange because of the sizing).

I'm not an artist (and by that I mean I'm so terrible at art I'm like a nega-artist), but I'm going to kick up some dust about how we might be able to make these different. I think there's two goals for these two pieces of art:

* Splashes should be intricate, high-detail renders of characters so you can get a cool idea of who they are and what they do. It's basically shippable concept art! It's job is to look super sweet.

* Icons present information to players in game. Its job, first and foremost, is to communicate information to players. Additionally, it should "look right" in some way that likely draws little attention to itself outside of the information factor.

Not only do I think separating the assets would solve the problem you lay out here, but I think it also can help make our icons look more clean and readable. And then the artists can focus on making stuff look great, and not hold back when these problems leer about.
Like I said, I really do like this Art for Lux, its just something I believe people that don't like will warm up to with more new art that it bound to be incoming.

As for the Icons presenting certain parts about a champion, YES. Thats ALLL about the design, you're absolutely right. Miss Fortune's works because they flow of the way her hair is in her face, is part of her character. I can look at it, and not be distracted by it, and recognize its Miss Fortune.

Lux's current icon says nothing about her. If I had to be specific about what in the picture could show her character, its her headband. Its something associated with kids, and gives an essence of, "this person like to be playful." I had believed it was her hair, but I really think now...its her headband that gives her icon that feeling of her character. The reason I included her hair in my recrop was because it contrasts the open area of her forehead. Which by itself looks really big in the current icon.

And thanks a lot for responding, by the way ^_^

Deljase

09-27-2012

Small side question for you Morello:

Has a concept art ever came back in that's changed your idea of a champion so much you redesigned their style to reflect this image?

Kayleorfeed

09-27-2012

Quote:
lux has a slight buzz

HunnyBadger

09-27-2012

All I can add to this discussion is that the first time I saw the new Lux face on the minimap, I thought it looked like that Ecce **** "restoration". The are looks good, its just to much blank white face which looks somehow off...

Ravechaosknight

09-27-2012

Wait. . .the Nega-artist Lead Game Designer is going to look into Art assets? Next thing you know what little damage Lux has will be gone. . .

No offense, and I feel like I've been kicking you while your down these last couple night Morello, but I think we summoners need to invoke our Rite of Iron Solari on this one.

Haven't seen the Parrot in days anyways, he's usually on top of these type's of questions. >.>

I think it's time for matter and anti-matter to work together again. <.<

If you know what I mean.