Lux's Face Icon [With Solution]

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dorotheus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

09-27-2012

bump

AlienSexRanger

09-27-2012

If they aren't willing to do this then as a backup plan they could just switch Ezreal and Lux's in game icons. So Ezreal is a boy again and Lux is a girl. Just saying.

Dorotheus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

09-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienSexRanger View Post
If they aren't willing to do this then as a backup plan they could just switch Ezreal and Lux's in game icons. So Ezreal is a boy again and Lux is a girl. Just saying.
Neeh.

Ferezilla

09-27-2012

Bump

ImAPixie

09-27-2012

Way better job on the second icon. The first she just strikes me as a rodent..

Tekojovishi

09-27-2012

Bump

Antarctica

09-27-2012

/singed

Morello

Lead Designer

09-27-2012
1 of 6 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorotheus View Post
Ok...I LIKE THE ART. Its very well done, but it doesn't really match League's other art, I do have a feeling that'll change, so that point is moot.

However, Lux's Face Icon just TERRIBLE! Its nothing but a focus on her forehead and its really heavy near the bottom.

SOLUTION: Just Zoom it out a little bit, show some of her hair to frame her face better, its really off-putting at the moment. Really easy and a small change that would just look much better, and even adds more character.

Image 1 is the current way and image 2 is just cropped with more information.
EDIT: I actually noticed that this way will work better with the circle icon on the minimap as well. ^_^

Please bump and upvote this if you support this small but dramatic change.

Attachment 532855Attachment 532857

EDIT:
@9 hours A large response in a very short time ~500 views with ~50 upvotes
I agree with this specific problem a lot - a lot of what makes a good splash doesn't always translate into a good face icon. This causes a problem because you might have to make compromises to one or the other (in this case, Lux's face portrait in-game looks strange because of the sizing).

I'm not an artist (and by that I mean I'm so terrible at art I'm like a nega-artist), but I'm going to kick up some dust about how we might be able to make these different. I think there's two goals for these two pieces of art:

* Splashes should be intricate, high-detail renders of characters so you can get a cool idea of who they are and what they do. It's basically shippable concept art! It's job is to look super sweet.

* Icons present information to players in game. Its job, first and foremost, is to communicate information to players. Additionally, it should "look right" in some way that likely draws little attention to itself outside of the information factor.

Not only do I think separating the assets would solve the problem you lay out here, but I think it also can help make our icons look more clean and readable. And then the artists can focus on making stuff look great, and not hold back when these problems leer about.

Thunder Oak

09-27-2012

bump

AmbushIntheDark

09-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
I agree with this specific problem a lot - a lot of what makes a good splash doesn't always translate into a good face icon. This causes a problem because you might have to make compromises to one or the other (in this case, Lux's face portrait in-game looks strange because of the sizing).

I'm not an artist (and by that I mean I'm so terrible at art I'm like a nega-artist), but I'm going to kick up some dust about how we might be able to make these different. I think there's two goals for these two pieces of art:

* Splashes should be intricate, high-detail renders of characters so you can get a cool idea of who they are and what they do. It's basically shippable concept art! It's job is to look super sweet.

* Icons present information to players in game. Its job, first and foremost, is to communicate information to players. Additionally, it should "look right" in some way that likely draws little attention to itself outside of the information factor.

Not only do I think separating the assets would solve the problem you lay out here, but I think it also can help make our icons look more clean and readable. And then the artists can focus on making stuff look great, and not hold back when these problems leer about.
While youre at it can you tell the art team to just use the Chinese Lux art instead?

That new one is an abomination.

I mean you used MORDE'S Chinese art for crying out loud, why not use one thats actually better than the original.

Next thing you know we're gonna get window-licking small head Chinese Garen .