Introducing Honor!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Weirdoooh

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-25-2012

cool

DualAxes

09-25-2012

Riot please!! make a Paladin Leona skin.

Kedali

09-25-2012

I'm still curious if there is any real tangible benefit from gaining honor, like bonus IP, RP, skins, etc.

I'm fairly certain I fall into the edge case that you are targeting of people who could go either way in any given game, and I've been trying to imagine how I might interact with the system. If I saw a team mate do something I didn't like, I'd think to myself, 'ok, I could say what I want here, but if I don't, then my honor might go up'

So then I'd think, 'what would I get from my honor going up?' If it's just seeing the number go up and feeling some kind of social acceptance as a result, I'm fairly certain I'd just say what I wanted any way. But if it were 'well I could say this, but if I don't, then maybe I'll get more IP,' I'd seriously consider it.

So ya, at least for me, I'm pretty certain the only way this would change my behavior is if there were some kind of juicy reward for doing so.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

09-25-2012
79 of 99 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedali View Post
I'm still curious if there is any real tangible benefit from gaining honor, like bonus IP, RP, skins, etc.

I'm fairly certain I fall into the edge case that you are targeting of people who could go either way in any given game, and I've been trying to imagine how I might interact with the system. If I saw a team mate do something I didn't like, I'd think to myself, 'ok, I could say what I want here, but if I don't, then my honor might go up'

So then I'd think, 'what would I get from my honor going up?' If it's just seeing the number go up and feeling some kind of social acceptance as a result, I'm fairly certain I'd just say what I wanted any way. But if it were 'well I could say this, but if I don't, then maybe I'll get more IP,' I'd seriously consider it.

So ya, at least for me, I'm pretty certain the only way this would change my behavior is if there were some kind of juicy reward for doing so.
The initial goal of Honor is to identify the positive pillars in our community. This is why we aren't talking about rewards right now. However, if you know me and understand psychology, you know that positive reinforcement comes in many shapes and sizes. We won't use rewards to encourage your participation in the Honor Initiative, so if you feel like there isn't enough 'value' to being good in the current iteration of the initiative, that's fine for now.

The end goal of Honor is to shape player behavior more positively--to help encourage and nudge players to lean good instead of bad when it's an emotional game.

Munchlord

09-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedali View Post

And that would be why they haven't released Judge Trundle yet

Or at least, it'd be a cool thing to save it for, along with some knight/paladin skins.

ploki122

09-25-2012

Lyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
I will neither confirm nor deny the magic that Team Player Behavior can do. Credit to the team, they're the ones that make my designs happen.
Wat r u doin?
Quote:
Credit to the team, they're the ones that make my designs happen.
Lyte
Quote:
Credit to the team, they're the ones.
Stahp
Quote:
they're

Piltover Express

09-25-2012

I think this is a good idea. When I carry games hard, ping when my top is getting ganked and he goes "Oh thanks mate, didn't see that" (He actually said that, it was early in the morning when I played this game.), when I coordinate dragon grabs and baron fights, give blue buff to the middle and he says "Hey, thanks." I honestly try my best when I play, and my last few games with Shyvana I felt I have done really well with the randoms on my team. My ganks have 90% percent of the time been good, "nice job!' and "good play!" were given out to each other, and overall a positive experience. I have more than once had people ask me if they can add me to their friends list when I do good.

I feel like this honor system might be seen as "stupid" at first because it will just be people begging for the honor points or whatever it is going to be, but after a while the truly good players will be seen as "good" and actually gain these honor points by doing good with their team and being a team player. I, for one, accept this new system, I feel like after a while it will hopefully help people recognize who is good, and I really hope that you eventually make it so that people with more "positive" karma than negative will be placed together in matches.

I love it when I get into champion selection and everyone is immediately talking to each other, planning out strategies and setting up picks. I feel like a match filled with people all in a high "positive karma" would have this happen nearly every time, and I would have a much more positive experience.

/rant

LapizDragon

09-25-2012

If anyone can answer this, that would be great. When does the honor system launch?

Joenz

09-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LapizDragon View Post
If anyone can answer this, that would be great. When does the honor system launch?
As the OP said "Keep an eye out for Honor with the next PBE update, and expect to hear more about it in an upcoming patch!"

Boswick

09-25-2012

The other day i played a game as top lane. I lag out in the middle of the lane. The enemy player jumped me, got me to half hp, noticed i wasn't responding, and backed off. I totally would've honored that guy.