Garen

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BrickE

09-24-2012

So I like playing Garen but it seems that I have a hard time closing and even a harder time finishing once I get there. Should I be playing another champ? Are there better chamos that play like Garen but last till the end? Does Garen need a buff?

yec

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-24-2012

In blind pick it's luck of the draw but for draft mode, he's a really good counter to some bruisers and can wreak havoc if they are unable to kite him.

BrickE

09-24-2012

Whats kite mean?

Mavrik V

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-24-2012

New Garen is really ****, especially in 3v3. Previously he had his early game power, now he doesn't even have that. He's like an Udyr without the sustain or reliability now.

Eanruig

09-24-2012

Garen is definitely still a great Champ. Just keep practicing and trying different builds. Just make sure to buy at least 2 good items for HP. Don't be afraid to have some bad games.

You say you're having trouble closing the gap/catching to kill them. Use spells like Exhaust or Ghost, or both. Also, don't forget you can buy those extra speedy boots of swiftness. Other boots may seem more useful but what good are they if you can't catch anyone to use their buff. I don't see too many Garen's using Frozen Mallet but I'd say it's never a wrong purchase for melee champs. One hit from you and they have to commit to a fight because they won't get away until someone dies. It's you or them!! F. Mallet keeps opponents from kiting you. Which means they do a little dance to and fro and back and forth (as if they were a Kite attached to a string, attached to Garen), just 3 steps away from you and poke at you with some range. Don't Chase them too far, and counter the kite with a bit of your own by moving back and staying moving.

Good luck, Brickey.

P.S. Garen isn't supposed to be (doesn't mean he can't be) a super great 1v1 champ. And don't be afraid to use his Ult a step too early. It doesn't have to be the killing blow. With a bit of a Tank blend build Armor and HP and let a teammate help do some of the initial ranged damage so the fight starts with the enemy at 70% health.

ThrillOfTheBlunt

09-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Logan View Post
New Garen is really ****, especially in 3v3. Previously he had his early game power, now he doesn't even have that. He's like an Udyr without the sustain or reliability now.
the game isnt balanced around 3v3 but garen is on the weak side

FeelMyJohnson

09-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by QQ0oQQ View Post
the game isnt balanced around 3v3 but garen is on the weak side

Disagree - my friend played garen in 3s rank up to 1800.

So he is definetly strong - his build based on the game is very important imo.

BrickE

09-25-2012

thanks Ill stick with it currently building with berserk boots, dorans blade, phantom dancer, frozen mallet, then infinity edge - and suggestions from there?

Shadowkirbyness

09-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickE View Post
thanks Ill stick with it currently building with berserk boots, dorans blade, phantom dancer, frozen mallet, then infinity edge - and suggestions from there?
Yes, my suggestion is not to build such a static item set. it's gotta be flexible. Beserker boots aren't really the greatest since Garen's damage comes from his skills.
I would start boots 3 pots > 1-2 doran's blades > brutalizer/hexdrinker > use your own judgement from here.
the build you suggested is very expensive and you won't be able to snowball from an early level like Garen is supposed to.

BrickE

09-25-2012

alright I changed it up and had my first really good game since I started LOL. Thanks for all of the encouragement just went over an hour at 19/8/6