Season Two World Championship Format

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Disillusion

09-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherms24 View Post
Again, not a random drawing. All 4 teams with byes won their respective regional tournies. The only one that won, that didn't get a bye is Frost, and i believe that is because they don't have as many teams in the OGN league as are in the other ones. But i am not positive!
That's not what he meant. He knew the byes were earned and not random. But where each team with a bye gets placed is random. IMO, they should be distinguished. Some of the bye teams are stronger than others. I would rather play against Taipei Assassins than M5 for example (I think the bye should have gone to Frost or Sword over Taipei). The stronger teams should face the 2nd place group finisher, while the weaker team plays the 1st place finisher.

As it is, since it's completely random, it doesn't matter if you come out of the group 1st or 2nd place, and it could lead to throwing matches in the group stage just to get paired with the weaker team in the elimination stage.

They can solve this problem by giving the 2nd place finisher a one map disadvantage in the best of three, like they did at Dreamhack last year. Then it will matter whether you finish 1st or 2nd in your group.

StrawChewer

09-21-2012

Can any Red explain why iG has to play back to back games in the early morning whereas in the other group teams that play the first game gets a break?

IonCannonKarthus

09-21-2012

Hoping to see M5 vs Azubu for the championship! Would be an epic game!

Go M5!

GrizlakMonger

09-21-2012

Unfortunately the favorite to take it won't be able to go because the toughest region in the world was only allowed two teams... I guess Frost will just have to take it down for the team. But really, CLG.NA will be there and not Azubu Blaze. Anyone else think this is kind of funny? Was looking forward to see Blaze play against M5 after the 5-0 massacre of TSM, but the only thing in their way were the other unstoppable Korean teams.

Exacerberus

09-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus View Post
Casters for the event will be:

David "Phreak" Turley
Joshua "Jatt" Leesman
Leigh "Deman" Smith
Rivington "RivingtonThe3rd" Bisland III
Jatt...oh lord... /mute

Cheeky Squid

09-21-2012

Is there no loser bracket? All the teams with byes will get at minimum $75,000?

Kaizen Ulraa

09-21-2012

Holy Tiamats! The Final is on my birthday!

Lacriga

09-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawChewer View Post
Can any Red explain why iG has to play back to back games in the early morning whereas in the other group teams that play the first game gets a break?
SK also has to play back-to-back games, as does CLG.NA, Najin Sword, and Saigon Jokers.

lastchancexi

09-22-2012

The random bye is really lame, in my opinion. And yeah, Azubu Frost got screwed when they're clearly a top 3 team, and TPA haven't shown that at all (and neither have World.Elite) for that matter.

So, let's rate the teams 1 through 12:
Favorites
1. Moscow Five
2. Azubu Frost
3. CLG.eu

Contenders
4. Najin Sword
5. TSM
6. SK Gaming

Can win a match or two:
7. TPA
8. Dignitas
9. World Elite
10. CLG.NA
11. Invictus Gaming

Lucky to win a game:
12. Saigon Jokers

StrawChewer

09-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastchancexi View Post
The random bye is really lame, in my opinion. And yeah, Azubu Frost got screwed when they're clearly a top 3 team, and TPA haven't shown that at all (and neither have World.Elite) for that matter.

So, let's rate the teams 1 through 12:
Favorites
1. Moscow Five
2. Azubu Frost
3. CLG.eu

Contenders
4. Najin Sword
5. TSM
6. SK Gaming

Can win a match or two:
7. TPA
8. Dignitas
9. World Elite
10. CLG.NA
11. Invictus Gaming

Lucky to win a game:
12. Saigon Jokers

You have SK Gaming as a contender while putting Invictus Gaming at a lower tier?
You do know Invictus Gaming beat Azubu Frost and constantly beats CLG NA right?