Update on Dropped Games

First Riot Post
1234511 ... 35
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bellissimoh

Producer

09-20-2012
1 of 40 Riot Posts

Hi Summoners,

My name is Bellissimoh and I’m a Producer at Riot Games. My primary responsibility is to maintain the health of our global live service and ensure the quality of everyone’s League of Legends experience is as high as possible.

As some of you have recently experienced, a handful of players have been attacking our live service to kill games that are in-progress. They’re doing this through a form of Distributed Denial of Service attack (DDoS) and not a hack.

As of yesterday’s hotfix, we’ve put some changes in place that prevent games from dying. Players in a targeted game will still experience lag and possibly be disconnected, but the client should now be able to reconnect to the game automatically and resume where it left off. To spell this out a little, if your client suddenly lags and presents you with a “Connecting screen” you should allow it to try its magic and reconnect you to the game. When it is successful this will allow you to rejoin the battle much quicker without reloading the client.

We have taken steps to identify these attackers and remove them from our service permanently. Additionally we are pursuing legal avenues and working with the proper authorities.

We’re doing everything we can to implement short- and long-term solutions to fight these types of activities. When someone’s intentionally ruining the experience of other players, we take it very seriously.

I’ll be watching this thread for the next hour or so to answer questions along with Akov, one of Riot's Network Engineers.

At the end of the day, our goal is to maintain a reliable and fair League of Legends service for everyone.

sdjaks

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-20-2012

Thanks for the help.

ZodiarkSavior

09-20-2012

Hurray!

EDIT: Your name is awesome.

Ima steal it for an idea, cool?

Mediocre Top

09-20-2012

Yay, Riot got rid of LoLDrop. Never been dropped myself, but thank gosh it's gone.

EDIT: Oh, would you mind explaining why you couldn't reconnect?

jacksexkate

09-20-2012

front page in a legendary thread

But thanks for addressing the issue, I just wish more could have been said WHILE the attacks were going on. It felt like Riot was completely ignoring the issue, from the community's point of view

Innamora

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-20-2012

this is cool but i mean cant u prevent it period even with the disconnect that could change the outcome of the game

8EqualsCapital D

09-20-2012

PRAISE THE LORD!
I can play ranked now.

Minjo Master

09-20-2012

Good, good.

Razor 9mm

09-20-2012

Excellent.

DrMrStark

09-20-2012

Awesome.

1234511 ... 35