Creative Design AMA - Syndra, the Dark Sovereign

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Opreich

09-20-2012

How does Syndra feel when she see Veigar summon a black hole.

Her years of study have not even brought her close to conquering such a force of gravity.

get dat birdman

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-20-2012

You've alluded to how Syndra might feel about Xerath. What about how Xerath would feel toward Syndra?

What would Maokai feel toward Syndra?

PenguinPaladin

09-20-2012

How does Syndra feel about the rune wars and restrictions on magic since they've ended?

Pandaris

09-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
We would love to, and we are working...these things take time. Sorry, I know you've heard this a lot =(
Ok i can accept that considering you are probably threatened with death if you reveal your juicy secrets :P

But in terms of the "ama" Syndra's lore "if" fleshed out and given a future... Where would you take it would it be a story of redemption and forgiveness or a story of victory and triumph... Or would you have her defeated and shackled? No specifics if you don't want to but how would you like her story to play out ?who would be her nemesis, and who would be her allies?

Harrow

Writer

09-20-2012
5 of 8 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine Tog View Post
In what way is Syndra a sympathetic character, or intended to be a sympathetic character? That sounds like a loaded question (and I suppose it is to an extent, since her lore makes me think her a petulant child), but I suspect she wasn't intended to be just a monster. I ask because this is honestly the number one reason I'm not interested in playing her. Like, I play Singed, who is a monster, but he's got that "magnificent *******" thing going for him.
Sympathy is a personal thing...not everyone is going to empathize with every character. But I sympathize with Syndra because she was a young person with no malice or ill-will in her actions, just a joy for exploring the gifts she had been born with. But the response from the Elders, while understandable in its own way, was extremely heavy-handed. They basically decided that she was never going to mature in her use of her talents and took her from her home and family.

Who's to say what would've happened if she'd just been left alone? I feel like the Elders never saw her as a person, just a problem that needed to be solved. Maybe they were right, and she was a legitimate danger to everyone around her. But I can't help but wonder if they've just created the thing they feared she would become.

Now, while she's outwardly controlling and selfish, it seems like a lot of her actions could be driven by fear. From her perspective, they tried to control her and then, when they couldn't, tried to take the one joy from her life.

But this is all open to interpretation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoS Trojan View Post
Why does Syndra's power materialize in the form of a sphere?

Is there a meaning to Syndra's headpiece? or is is just decoration?

Syndra's visual design of her model and abilities seems like it could fit the role of Kassadin's daughter, some people thought that's who she was going to be before she was revealed. Was she ever considered to be Kassadin's daughter at any point during her design?

Would Syndra get along with anyone else in the League?
It's just a stable form of condensed magic. Maybe she also finds a perfect sphere to be beautiful.

Her headpiece is very Ionian in nature, but unlike the crests that other Ionian characters keep behind them, Syndra placed hers front and center, emblematic of her rejection of restraint.

She wasn't ever considered to be Kassadin's daughter, no.

Initially, no, I don't think she would really "get along" with anyone; too mistrustful, too aloof. That might change over time, and I've talked about champions she would be interested in or could make an alliance of convenience with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eph289 View Post
Syndra's title is "The Dark Sovereign." Okay, dark, I get. But sovereign? She's not queen of anything except her floating home. Why that title?

Syndra might be powerful, but she's not a summoner. For all her """""immense potential"""" (another boring cliche), why doesn't she learn the summoning magic or rune magic that appears to be top dog in Runeterra?

Why is Syndra's lore so similar to Xerath, or does that not matter to you guys?
Sovereign has a number of meanings that I thought were appropriate for her. Her story is about asserting control over things that were held from her - her own fate, her magical ability, and yes, her current home and fortress. Sovereign also implies a degree of supremacy, which she believes she has because of her power and her position in the world, literally and symbolically.

Syndra's not an academic, she's unlikely at this point to go and study runes and tomes. I also doubt that she sees rune magic and summoning as inherently superior to her own instinctive, innate approach to expressing power in the world.

I don't see their lore as that similar, besides great magical power which people tried to control. Xerath was an arcane scholar with a lofty goal. Syndra was just a young person who wanted to play with her power. Xerath destroyed himself to attain more power and was imprisoned for it and now seeks a way out of that prison. Syndra's story is about a person seizing their own destiny from people who wanted to prevent her from doing so. There are similarities, sure, but I don't think the two are going to play the same role in future stories at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowieneko View Post
Is the monk who took care of Syndra related in any way to the monks who helped Udyr harness his own power?

If she had any chance to socialize, which champ do you think would be most likely to be her friend?
No - Udyr's monks were martial artists from a different part of Ionia.

I think Syndra would have a really hard time making friends and being social, to be honest. I think she would keep people at a distance. But maybe in the future, she'll begin to trust people, especially if she manages to sway people to take a place within her floating temple. The more I mention a story about Syndra and Annie in this thread, the more I want to think about it. Hm.

Pandaris

09-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
The more I mention a story about Syndra and Annie in this thread, the more I want to think about it. Hm.
plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz?

moogle890

09-20-2012

Does Syndra ever get lonely in her castle? I'm sure she'd want someone to be with her eventually. Either friends or lovers.

Yojimaru

09-20-2012

How well do Syndra and Ryze get along? As I understand their lore, their backgrounds are somewhat similar. Authority figures saw both of them as a "liability" (as per Ryze's judgement); they both had to take their fate into their own hands so to speak. Would she be intrigued by his thorn magic, or perhaps try to learn the contents of his scroll?

Also, I know that alternate skins aren't considered canon, but is Justicar Syndra what she could have become if the Ionian Elders had embraced her instead?

AmbushIntheDark

09-20-2012

I know its reaching but, since shes Ionian and doesnt like authority. Does she know Zelos (Irellias brother) and was she responsible for his disappearance?

I really want Zelos to be a champ =(

Swak

09-20-2012

Sorry if this post seems a bit random, but I am kinda eating up all of how Syndra would interact with the rest of the league.

One character that jumped out at me was fellow Ionian Varus, and how he and Syndra seems polar opposites and alligned at the same time. Varus having taken power through his rage at the loss of his family and Syndra fostering the growth of power and the quest for more absolute power. But both seek this absolute power for their goals in my view at least; Syndra to prove to the world she is right (Correct me if I am wrong here), and Varus to slaughter those who defiled his village in righteous vengence.

The interaction between these champs seems something of interest to me, because it would almost seem to me Varus would be disdainful of Syndra due to her unguided use of power (Varus' quote at the end of his lore comes to mind) while my judgement of Syndra would have her look on Varus with an sort of... curiosity. One who has apparently turned from the Ionian creeds and diciplines and traditions to the quest of absolute power; simmilar to her own.

As an expert on Syndra's lore/personality, could you give me insight on how the two of these champions may interact? It just seems a really cool and... awkward relationship between two really cool champions IMO.

(Wow that took longer to explain than I thought it would... the short version is how do you think Syndra and Varus would interact?)

Edit: And what about Wukong, now that I think about it. Her quest for power and the exploitation of it seems simmilar to the story of Sun Wukong(Though I do admit I am no expert on the subject and correct me if I am wrong here), and brings to mind Wukong's cokiness and his will to not fail. Would this bring an almost rivalry between the two in the league (I would see Wukong constantly challenging Syndra but Syndra never giving him the time of day). Could also Syndra act as an opposing force to Wukong's teachings of the Wuju style and force him into a conflict in between power and what he has learned? Or am I reading into this WAAAAY too much?