Creative Design AMA - Syndra, the Dark Sovereign

First Riot Post
12345678 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AmbushIntheDark

09-20-2012

PLEASE let Syndra become Annie's mentor. That would be awesome.

OneSixthIrish

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-20-2012

Why did Syndra steal Diana's valkyrie helmet?

Vulking

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-20-2012

Wouldn't Syndra fell the need to help in freeing Xerath of his prison? He is basically what would have happened to her if the Old Mage were strong enough to contain her,

I mean, the new lore direction want to give more freedom to the league champions, and in this I see a very symbiotic relationship, Xerath move to Syndra's floating fortress and become his tutor (since he is the result of pure arcane power knowledge unleashed) in exchange of Syndra's help to find a way to break free of his shackles (since at this point I'm sure Xerath realize how the league is not really interesting in free him form his coffin, only use him for their needs).

Blaine Tog

09-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
We haven't told the story of her joining the league yet, but I can think of a few ideas. Given that her primary joy in life is her magic, she could see the league as a playground, a place where she can truly push her limits and see what she can do.
Why can't she do this out in Runeterra? She has a flying castle in the sky, after all. As I understand it, the twist with the Fields of Justice is that they're a place to safely exercise your power without nasty side-effects, and Syndra doesn't strike me as someone who especially cares about that sort of thing.

Dr Toenail

09-20-2012

Does Syndra have any sort of lore connection with Varus? If so, what is it and what is their relationship?

Amathris

09-20-2012

Quote:
One can see it as petulance, but she was never really allowed to become a well-adjusted adult in a normal environment.
True, a monastery for magical training is hardly a normal environment. However, all we know about her experience as a student is that she "learned much during her time there" before she decided she wasn't getting strong enough fast enough, started making demands of her mentor and threatening him, and then killed him when he tried to bring her under control by threatening to remove her power.

Were there other students at the monastery? Did she get frustrated when she saw them beginning to surpass her in power (because her potential was being secretly limited)?

Quote:
She sees the elders that sent her away as just a part of a greater Ionian philosophy that she now despises. In a way, her paranoia is justified - I think it's likely that Ionia will try and bring her back into balance.
Yeah, I guess the concern I have is that the events of her bio seem to happen on the very outskirts of Ionian society (a small village and a remote monastery). If her treatment is the way that most or all mages in Ionia are treated, her bio could do a better job of expressing that. Her story sets up a personal struggle between her and her teacher, but it's lacking the societal context that could better explain her disdain for Ionia as a whole.

Ionia obviously places a great deal of value on physical martial prowess, and their philosophy of discipline and balance would not lend themselves to a charitable view of arcane magic. If the nigh-inhuman tranquility, serenity, and balance of Karma is the only way mages are allowed to exist in Ionia without being magically lobotomized, then Syndra starts to make more sense and become more interesting/sympathetic. A young girl whisked off to a place where she suddenly has to curb every excess of emotion, every inkling of passion, with the threat of permanently losing her beloved magic hanging over her head until she finally snaps.

DHNinja

09-20-2012

Can you see Syndra as becoming a potential summoner within the league. How does she view the void like champions like Malzahar?

Harrow

Writer

09-20-2012
4 of 8 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Kassad View Post
1) Why didn't you want to just make her a void champ? Her dark spheres look like they come straight out of the void. Why doesn't her lore tell us what the heck those things are? The whole champion revolves around dark spheres but they are completely unexplained...

2) Syndra's lore places her in almost a "Dark Queen" sort of archetype. She is a power-hungry sorceress that lives in a floating castle and wants to destroy the kingdom of Ionia (It all sounds very Grimm Brothers or Lloyd Alexander-esque). So, does she have any minions to speak of? Some sort of army or something? How exactly does she plan on taking down the Ionians?

Thanks!
1) Void was just never a part of her development. I liked the opportunity to show how far Ionia might go to maintain their philosophy of balance, and how that might affect a single person caught up in that. As for her power, it wasn't an important detail for the bio - through playful experimentation, she learned she could create powerful spheres of raw magic and never questioned why she had this power. In the future, she might well do that, but in her early life she never thought to question a good thing.

2) As of the end of her bio, she doesn't have any minions, but as I alluded to earlier with Annie, I think it's possible that she could enlist the help of or mentor others that she sees as kindred spirits. I worry about how she'd act as a teacher, though...

As for how to take down Ionia, her first thought is to see how far she can take her personal power now that she's unrestrained. I think she's currently very mistrustful of pretty much everyone, and it might take some time before she considers moving on to that "next step" of reaching out to others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baneson View Post
Quick question about Syndra's former master:

If he was so powerful that he was able to dampen her growing powers why does it seem like he was so easily bested by Syndra in the lore? He was slammed against the wall. Understandably fatal for an old timer, but its kinda anti-climatic.
I think there could be an emotional component here - Syndra's sudden rage may have allowed her to push against the magical dampening. I also don't think he was ready for a confrontation with her, and was acting mostly out of fear. He hoped his threat would scare her back into obedience, but her reaction was so swift and violent that he couldn't protect himself. So his frail body broke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerfaust View Post
Who was her mentor? Do we know any of his previous students or family? Will someone be coming to seek vengeance for his death?

As her magical power increases, what is the chance that it will start to put strain on her body?
He wasn't related to any notable characters - just a person with the magical understanding and grounds to carry out the task requested by the Ionian elders. He lived a fairly monk-like existence, so it's possible that he had no living family...but I wouldn't rule it out. For now, it's really the Ionian authorities that will be planning to bring Syndra back down to the ground.

Syndra's power doesn't seem like the kind that tears at the body - it feels to me like she has command of forces external to her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naraxy View Post
How old is she? Her model is actually pretty small, I'd think she's about the same age as Lux, no? I imagined her to be relatively young.
She's older than Lux, she reached young adulthood while living in the care of the old mage. Some time has passed between her origin story and the character you see in the game, so I don't want to give specific numbers, but yeah, not a teenager any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandaris View Post
we must wait in peace.... also since its a "ama" will there be attempts to flesh out the lore and expand the story beyond bio's ? all us lore lovers would probably play a heavy lore intensive game if you made one :O
We would love to, and we are working...these things take time. Sorry, I know you've heard this a lot =(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xemorus View Post
Since Syndra is all about embracing and utilizing her full power in order to get revenge against the elders of Ionia would Syndra ally herself with Noxian leaders like Swain or Darius because the Noxian ideology of "only the strong will survive" seems to align itself well with Syndra's own beliefs of power or would she act alone in the belief that she could get revenge without any support?

Are there any champions that Syndra would ally herself with or that she is looking to defeat?
I think that while Noxian beliefs do initially seem like a good fit for Syndra, a lot of their power comes from organized military hierarchy. Syndra would not like to take orders. It is possible, though, that Syndra and someone like Swain could find themselves with aligned goals and a temporary alliance...though only as long as it suited Syndra. I feel like she sees herself as above everyone else. (literally too.)

I think Syndra would most like to make an example out of an Ionian authority figure like Irelia or Karma. Like I said above, I think any alliances she made would be fleeting, and she'd be more interested in learning about champions like Annie and Xerath out of...curiosity, I suppose you'd call it.

VforVinDiesel

09-20-2012

Syndra's lore sounds like a parallel of X-Men 3's Phoenix. Any inspiration there and/or what else inspired her design & lore?

Thryale

09-20-2012

So, what does syndra think about ezreal?

what does ezreal think about syndra?

same with lux and syndra and syndra and lux.

My reasons: Ezreal was considered to be a prodigy in the arcane arts, but due to a great dislike for studying, he muchly prefered to spend his time adventuring instead of studiously honing his magical skills.

Would syndra see him as a contemporary or a traitor? Would ez see her as a threat, comrade, or indifference?

Lux is a powerful light mage, and if I remember correctly lux is/was known for 'borrowing' spells she had seen before and modifying them for her own needs. How would she and syndra interact?

12345678 ... 10