Introducing Honor!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Barnem

09-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
To be honest, we're not sure what the standards should be. Generally, if someone made your game more enjoyable and they represent a player you would love to play with again, they are worth Honoring. We'll figure this out together with the community and adjust Honor accordingly.
Lyte,

I really like this idea, but one thing I fear is that people will confuse doing well in the game with being worthy of "honored." Do you think that there's going to be a strong correlation between being the victor/having a strong score than just being a fun person to play with?

DiscworldDeath

09-19-2012

Right now it sounds like if someone is consistently amazing, and he gets all other 9 players to give him Honour several games in a row, he might be caught in the anti-abuse features. Especially if he tends to premake often?

What if someone is consistently that awesome?

eerum

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yenn View Post
What can I do with this?

This sounds like 'I better be nice, so I can get internet points that don't benefit me in any way what so ever!'
everyone thumbs downed this, but this guy doesn't care.

BelligerentGnu

09-19-2012

Quote:
In almost all of the last few cases, you'd run out of Honor soon. We purposely made the exact amounts of Honor you have to give invisible so we could make adjustments to your Honor 'pool.'

Hang on, just making sure I'm reading this right - you're saying that each player has a finite amount of 'honor', and giving it away reduces one's own? Wouldn't this de-incentivize people from honoring each other?

Milanda

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-19-2012

So happy to see this. Made a few threads long ago about something similar and am looking forward to how you set it up

Dedramun

09-19-2012

So is there anything in the works that possibly ties honor in with 'preferred players'?
For example I give player A honor because he was in general a good teammate and player. Does this mean that I might for instance have a higher chance of playing with him again because I found that he improved my gaming experience? If so, can I honor this player multiple times if he is just generally an awesome guy/gal?

Dantus

09-19-2012

What happens if I give Honor to someone that was nice that game, but that person got banned because of other games? As you said, we dont wanna give honor to people that dont deserve it, but what if he deserved for one game, and still got punished? do we get punished too, or you'll look at the logs for it?

Also, if lets say, im nice to people and end up carrying my team. 1 person didnd stand out or anything, he did ok and was polite. He then compliments me, says that im nice, that I helped him play, and that he'll give me Honor. Is it considered abuse or something if I give him honor too? Like, im not giving him because he gave me honor, i'd be giving him honor because he was nice to do so, not because of the honor points themselves

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

09-19-2012
26 of 99 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravechaosknight View Post
Oh Lyte I have a question about the honor system. I primarily play Bot games, and Arams when I'm hankering for some PvP(These are the only areas of the community that don't insta-rage when you get killed or do something stupid).

Anywho, can you gain Honor in these modes as well, or is the honor strictly for Normal/Ranked games? I'm the dude who comments on skins or makes silly jokes about champion lore interactions before Jungle/minions spawn and types in All-Chat to the Bots for morale boosting taunts. I'm sure in a general sense that would earn me some honor just for my positive attitude.
You can definitely earn Honor from teammates in Co-op vs Bot games; we know there's a set of players that enjoy these games as their "main" form of League of Legends.

However, we won't be allowing Honor to be given out in Proving Grounds for now.

Darkwahn

09-19-2012

Quote:
We've made sure that there are some avenues of progress in the Honor system even if you solely play with premade friends. For example, your opponents can still Honor you for being humble in victory.
Yay.

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

09-19-2012
27 of 99 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnem View Post
Lyte,

I really like this idea, but one thing I fear is that people will confuse doing well in the game with being worthy of "honored." Do you think that there's going to be a strong correlation between being the victor/having a strong score than just being a fun person to play with?
It's possible, but think of it this way: The matchmaking system is supposed to pair similar skilled players together. Team Player Behavior is constantly tinkering with matchmaking to improve it.

On average, players will all have some great games where they carry (and may get some fistbumps of Honor) and in some games, they will play poorly. So on average, the amount of Honor you get for 'carrying' is going to be about the same for every player unless you are grossly out of place in your matchmaking.