Creative Design AMA - Soraka and Warwick

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Eph289

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-18-2012

How does Soraka feel about Zyra? Yes, Zyra is a living being, but she's got a deeply-rooted (ha!) selfishness and desire to conquer about her, who killed another being to magically consume them and take their form, whatever the hell that means.

What is Soraka's new role in the Noxus-Zaun-Ionia war?

Does Soraka always fight so poorly?

How does Warwick feel about Vladimir? They're both "blood hunters" in a way.

Do they have any sort of rivalry, say over a simpering pouty brunette female character like, say, Olivia, the ex-secretary to the eternally grumpy LB Briskes? (Sorry, couldn't help myself there. :P )

The Soraka

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-18-2012

UHHHHHHH!?!....

Does this mean my skin suggestion: Beauty and the Beast, is ALOT closer to reality then it was when i first suggested it?

And now it fits their stories ALOT better.

Oh man, please say this is happening.

I want Sorakabelle SO MUCH more than Full Metal Soraka. (As hinted in the background of the Full Metal Rammus splashart.)

And Gentleman Warwick would be a nice addition to the gentlemen club.

BUT YOU GOTTA MAKE EM SHARE A SPLASH ART LIKE TANGO TWISTED FATE & EVELYNN!

Sandrockcstm

09-18-2012

These two lore pieces are contradictory.

In one, WW is unable to get the blood of Soraka needed to make a stable potion. He fails, and drinks the potion incomplete, but then sets off to seek her blood to stabilize his transformation.

In Soraka's story, she befriends WW in his human form, then gets stabbed (which should have been enough to get the blood that WW needed for the potion), and for some reason he runs away. WW's story also states that she drives him away with powerful magic (which insinuates that she still had the power of the stars at her disposal), and the other says that she gave up the power before WW betrayed her.

Frankly, I found the old story much more compelling... as well as more cohesive. This, frankly, just seems sloppy, especially since these aren't long, complicated stories at play here.

Vuther

09-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just me Soraka View Post
UHHHHHHH!?!....

Does this mean my skin suggestion: Beauty and the Beast, is ALOT closer to reality then it was when i first suggested it?

And now it fits their stories ALOT better.

Oh man, please say this is happening.

I want Sorakabelle SO MUCH more than Full Metal Soraka. (As hinted in the background of the Full Metal Rammus splashart.)

And Gentleman Warwick would be a nice addition to the gentlemen club.

BUT YOU GOTTA MAKE EM SHARE A SPLASH ART LIKE TANGO TWISTED FATE & EVELYNN!
Jeez, and here I was thinking "Someone can totally look upon Soraka's background now and ship her with Warwick.".

That was fast.

webbut

09-18-2012

This makes loads more sense now.

Methelod

09-18-2012

This is a far more minor question, but it mentions that he has silver from the Shadow Isles, this implies that he (Or someone else) has been there but the mysterious lores of the Shadow Isles champions seemed to imply that very few people actually know what is there. So what IS the deal with the Shadow Isles?

Zkaiser

09-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by swan2swan View Post
All right. So I re-read their original bios in addition to these new ones, and I think that they are improved, and they tell a fine story...however...

One of my favorite aspects of their original story was how Warwick's savage, bestial nature was actually even more fitting for him. There was a lot of delicious irony in that little twist, and it gave a lot of clarity to Warwick's character. This new character for Warwick is a little too vague, and it seems to hint that a lot of his savagery is based on the animal nature infused by his chemical toxins, rather than an original character trait. To me, it suggests that any random thug who took this chemical toxin would become Warwick, rather than that this is Warwick's true form. I would recommend shining a little more light on how Warwick was always a savage, brutal monster ("Exhilarated, he immediately began testing his newfound power" does that well), and backing off a little from the notion that this would all go away if he had Soraka's blood ("Each day his instincts became sharper, but his human half slipped further away").

I just like it when the homicidal evil killing machines are fully aware of what they are. I know that there's still the prospect that when he gets Soraka's blood, he would still be evil and powerful, but smarter, but there's some undertone in the lore that seems to imply "Oh, he's just a bloodthirsty monster because the potion made him that way, don't be too harsh on him." I liked it when he was an all-out monster..

P.S. : I guess I fail at AMAs? There was no question in there.
This. Very much this. I feel like a lot of the positive feedback that I have read in this thread so far has been in response to Soraka's lore changes from Soraka fans. I feel that you will be hard pressed to find a Warwick fan who likes this change. Warwick's entire character has been changed to give him a new dimension to his character (a dimension that is pretty old and busted if you ask me) and Soraka actually lost depth with this change. All she is now is heal, heal, heal, think of the children. What happened to that strong emotion of anger and disgust that compelled her to strike down the vile Warwick?

My favorite part of Warwick's lore is that he came out on top, or rather, that Soraka lost. Soraka succumbed to emotion that is beneath that of a goddess and was punished. Good guys don't win if they use dirty tactics. It was a great show of "stoop to their level and you become no better than them." I don't buy this whole "equal level" deal. Afterward Soraka was still a being of great power and Warwick was just a savage beast who liked to rip stuff. They don't belong on the the same level.

Grand Viper

09-18-2012

I always thought of Soraka's involvement with Warwick caused him to reflect his inner person. Sort of a Beauty and the Beast thing, no matter how handsome and dashing the person is, on the inside resides a monster. I thought her transgression was not just the actual cursing of Warwick, but allowing him to realize who he truly was: A wolf in a human's skin. Rewriting someone's bio like...Amumu, or Shaco, doesn't really resonate throughout the LoLverse. But rewriting Soraka and Warwick, both previous participants in the Ionian War, now is something a bit different. I admit, I liked Singed being the apprentice to Warwick more than being his friend, because that is what gave Warwick his characteristics I think. He wanted someone to pass his art down to, and he wanted the best of the best, and grew attached to his apprentice.

But that's me being nitpicky. I'm actually quite fine with the rewrites themselves, but I'm more concerned about how it'll affect everything else. The ripple in the pond sort of thing.

So, here are my questions:

1) Does this mean Soraka has always looked the way she has? (A blue skinned unicorn thingamajig)

2) Is her involvement in the Ionian War going to change? (I.e. Karma, Irelia, etc)

3) How is this going to affect the Ionian War in regards to timeline? Did this happen before the war, after the war, did Warwick spend years trying to hunt Soraka down in his feral form and hasn't slipped yet? It seems a bit...iffy here.

4) Is he cursed or is it the potion, or is it a combination of the two? I'm a little unclear about that.

5) Since both Warwick and Soraka are in the League, why is it that he can't just drink her blood? I know champs are revived via magic, but I always thought that they're essentially renewed, not have the blood already spilled magicked back into them. Either way, back to the question, does Warwick need to drink her blood, or does Singed need to prepare it in a special manner?

Oberic

09-18-2012

Oh wow, Soraka's new lore is amazing, and much more fitting to how I've thought of her all this time.

I don't really have any questions I realized..

Also, I love the desperation of Warwick now, now when he ganks my Soraka, it will feel epic.

Big Skler

09-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrockcstm View Post
These two lore pieces are contradictory.

In one, WW is unable to get the blood of Soraka needed to make a stable potion. He fails, and drinks the potion incomplete, but then sets off to seek her blood to stabilize his transformation.

In Soraka's story, she befriends WW in his human form, then gets stabbed (which should have been enough to get the blood that WW needed for the potion), and for some reason he runs away. WW's story also states that she drives him away with powerful magic (which insinuates that she still had the power of the stars at her disposal), and the other says that she gave up the power before WW betrayed her.

Frankly, I found the old story much more compelling... as well as more cohesive. This, frankly, just seems sloppy, especially since these aren't long, complicated stories at play here.
Was going to ask something about this, and then WHAM.

The stories don't mesh, and the old one was actually kind of cool and made Soraka (and Warwick) interesting. This just makes her a generic "friend of everyone" character and that's kind of boring. At least before she was a friend of everyone who got so fed up she became a badass, new Soraka just sounds like "whoopsie daisy didn't mean to do that!" and has her come out looking foolish. She doesn't have an excuse of being overcome with grief so she made a mistake, she made a decision and whoops!

Oh, you also make Singed sound sane, which is weird. He's supposed to be a mad scientist; warning Warwick that drinking an unfinished potion would be dangerous is super out of character. Jayced!

Edit: QUESTION BECAUSE IT'S AN AMA.

1. Why make the lore changes? It seems like change for the sake of change to me.