[RP] To those fraternising with league champions.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vuther

09-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphyrite View Post
You are digging your own grave, colleague. I suggest not aggravating your already precarious position further.

Best Regards,

Leyline Astronomer
Caelestes Sapphyrite
I appreciate the words - after all, if others freely do what they will for me, I'd prefer to just let them then waste my energy. Time, I refer to in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engarde View Post
Those who choose no sides have few enemies.
I disagree, a sufficiently large conflict may have its sides bludgeon others toward them - then you are seen as the opposition to two sides.

Fortunately, I perceive none at the time.

RuRuRuRufus

09-15-2010

Being friends with a champion is fine. In fact, it is probably for the better. However if the relationship goes further then that, how can you assure you will act professionally in the field? If you are romantically involved with a champion and are forced to fight him/her while summoning another, you cannot guarantee you will keep it professional.
I will admit, there are several champions in the league I desire. The specifics will not be mentioned *COUGH*TRISTINA*COUGH* but be assured I do. However getting into a relationship with them will just complicate matters further.
As a side note, I do find it a bit unfair that champions are romantically linked with other champions but this doesn't seem to create as much of a stir as a summoner's fall to depravity.

Masonry

09-15-2010

I am all up for any and all relationships outside the fields of Justice. As long as the champions keep to there apointed duties in battle. They can have relationships with summoners, other champions, rich people, famous people, or anyone. Personally I have nothing but the highest admeration for the champions I summon, and learn all I can about them. Jax who came from low level fighting circles as a virtually unknown. He earned his fame and glory that he is well know for now. All thanks to summoners giving him a chance. I wasn't the first to summon him and he was long famous before I came into my own as a summoner, but with out summoners getting to know their champions how can unknowns become the legends that they are now. Mostly summoners, if you do engage in practices with champions please keep it descrete. The league is ment as an alternative to war and public redicule and disaproval over seemingly meaningless things could slowly wittle away at the credibility and support that is its foundation.

Summoner Masonry

Dracorya

09-15-2010

Admittedly, I have not yet mustered up the courage to confess my affections to my chosen champion...I'm afraid his reputation makes him quite an intimidating figure to approach. Not to mention that it has been slow to him to open up to people after the great personal tragedy that he has suffered...

Fayd

Adjudicator

09-15-2010

The point of the matter is not an emotional one. It is a matter of ethics. As summoners, we have a duty to remain impartial in matters of international policy. By forming romantic relationships with champions, we begin to mix our emotions with matters of state and sully the impartiality and integrity of the League as a whole.

Engarde

Adjudicator

09-16-2010

My esteemed colleague Fayd has this absolutely correct. My apologies if I did not clarify earlier, but he has summarised this well.

Kultra

09-16-2010

But what about champions without state ties? like is the very core case of this problem, Nidalee. She represents what? the Kumudu jungle? I was not aware there were fierce political powers beyond the Great Barrier.

As it stands Arbiter, some of the champions (Katarina, Xin Zhao, Ezrael, Heimerdinger, Ashe, etc) are intrinsically bound to a City-State, but there are champions without such restrictions like Sivir for example, or the latest name on the Judgment list, Sona.

This champions do not influence the ethics of the summoners who fraternize with them, but itīs up to the summoner if their personal ethics or dedication to their task is wavered by romantic feelings, or feelings of friendship to a champion.

Take my example, while I have a bond of friendship with several of the champions, Vlad, Taric, Zilean, ChoīGath to say some. Does this mean I go easy on them when the other side has summoned them? Of course not, same could be said about several of the more shapely champions on the league that are targets of my affection, this does not stop me from doing my job as a summoner, and I have always had the idea that us Summoners are made of sturdier stuff than you assume Adjudicator.

In closing, I fraternize with champions, helps me work better with them, and helps me to know how they will think next time I face them, all in all, itīs a very big advantage no matter what the angle you take.

Summer Kultra

Fayd

Adjudicator

09-16-2010

We cannot, however, live with our heads in the sand... we summoners are highly visible individuals. The conduct one sets becomes accepted behavior for all. While Nidalee herself is one of the more apolitical Champions, this sets a dangerous precedent. We cannot deny our humanity, this is true, but we also have to consider that our conduct reflects on more than our own character; it reflects upon the League itself. If the League's impartiality is called into question, it is conceivable that the more radical members of various factions (Noxus and Demacia in particular) may consider the League to be a failed experiment, and we could have yet another Rune War on our hands.

Do you want that?

Oug

09-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayd View Post
The point of the matter is not an emotional one. It is a matter of ethics. As summoners, we have a duty to remain impartial in matters of international policy. By forming romantic relationships with champions, we begin to mix our emotions with matters of state and sully the impartiality and integrity of the League as a whole.
How can you say such a thing? I was personally selected by the Noxian high council to join the League of Legends. I fight on the fields of justice day in and day out to fight for Noxian causes. I am a true patriot and stand up for the right of each and every person to have the freedom to do what they wish. If I lost my loyalty to Noxus when I joined the league, who knows what overbearing Demacian laws would have passed? (Out of role: It is canon that summoners are selected by the individual powers to represent them in the league, so we actually CAN'T remain impartial)

On the actual topic, I believe that we should have an absolute barrier between us and our champions. As much as I would love to spend a 'romantic' evening with the deadly beauty Katarina, I also would be one in thousands who would wish to do the same. While we hold the magical power to control and have the champions fight at their absolute best, we are incapable of achieving the same glory that the champions receive daily.

BraveryBeyond

09-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayd View Post
We cannot, however, live with our heads in the sand... we summoners are highly visible individuals. The conduct one sets becomes accepted behavior for all. While Nidalee herself is one of the more apolitical Champions, this sets a dangerous precedent. We cannot deny our humanity, this is true, but we also have to consider that our conduct reflects on more than our own character; it reflects upon the League itself. If the League's impartiality is called into question, it is conceivable that the more radical members of various factions (Noxus and Demacia in particular) may consider the League to be a failed experiment, and we could have yet another Rune War on our hands.

Do you want that?
Adjudicator Fayd! I am somewhat shocked that someone in your position would have such strong opposition to something so many summoners imerse themselves into. It would be foolish to think many summoners would have the same impartiality as, say, an Adjudicator such as yourself. This may be why you were chosen for your position and we are but summoners to be tugged and strung along by the laws of The League which you must enforce. However, this does not make your statement any less rude and near-sighted!

We summoners, who are strictly summoners, take pride in our bonds and relationships formed with the champions of The League. We become better summoners if we learn the intricacies of those we summon. The opening of minds becomes much simpler when you can navigate those you control with familiarity rather than confusion and uncertainty. I know there are champions whom I have made pacts to whom I do not understand just yet, and those I do not wish and simply keep in case there is a time in which I must call them to aid me, but for those that I have frequently called upon there is only one simple reasoning I can give to our lasting success: the bond of commradery.

Those champions whom i call my closest allies - Jax, Pantheon, Garen, Akali and Vladimir (even if I have not gained enough favor for me to summon him on any occassion) - are those whom I have a deep respect for. We share common interests, even if one may go about them in a very visceral way, and meld well together in both ideals and practice when it comes to the Art of War. But you would suggest I would faulter when they are chosen to the other side? I would no sooner spit on their faces than think of the act! They are great warriors, ones who steep their life in combat to resolve issues that would prevent much more blood shed than what they will spill on the Fields of Justice. To hesitate for even a moment would be a shame I would never live down infront of my allies, for they would not hesitate knowing I was the summoner behind the champion they just smote. They relish the ideals of combat, doubly so for my friend Pantheon, and would be deeply insulted to know I could not uphold those same ideals by holding back a spell or directing my champion to strike another on the Fields of Justice due to some pang of guilt. There is a mutual respect between my legendary friends and I, that this is the life we chose and that war can be a fickle mistress. That if we stand on opposite sides of the field, we fight with the same honour as we would working together, which means every strike is a killing blow, every spell is cast with the intent to kill and every thought and guided action is with the ends to watch my chosen champion step over my comrades on the opposite side of the field.

Adjudicator, you may have been given your position because of your neutrality and feel that this neutrality will benefit all because it has benefitted you in your position, but those of us who choose to summon and simply summon are not wrong in becoming deeply involved with particular champions. Nay, I would say that we must become involved with them so that we may prosper as proper summoners; to protect them on the Fields of Justice when we call them to arms and know there is no ill will when we strike them down. Your ways are your own and the ways of the summoner are our own. When we summon, we summon of our own accord, not that of the Adjudicators, unless this has now become a restriction within the League? If so, I would very much enjoy the debates we shall have against one another as I attempt to appeal such a law being put into place.

In conclusion, I harbour no ill will towards you, Adjudicator Fayd, but I do disagree strongly with your views on summoner to champion relations. I believe we need to embrace the bond we share with each individual that comes into The League, not simply shunt it aside for the sake of neutrality. Yes, this may lead to some summoners that will slowly form opinions and prefer certain conflicts over others, however, there are those that enter The League with such prejudice already in place, yet we do not shun them from our society of summoners. And so, Adjudicator, I rest my case. Think of it what you will, but I do hope you consider the position from the stand-point of one such as I and can use my words as a fresh perspective on the matter.