Champion Auditions - Guidelines Discussion/Feedback

12345 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ryugi Kazamaru

09-16-2012

Okay. The community at large has been thrown into an uproar with the champion auditions due to a lack of seriously defined rules or guidelines, and people doing all kinds of frustrating things. This will be my attempt to better set them down in writing for all to weigh in on. The guidelines below will be changed and discussed until the community decides upon a set that we can all live with through compromise. Keep in mind until the final changes are made and agreed upon, this is to be considered a work in progress.

Once enough people have weighed in on the topic and feel it is within their liking, these rules can then be placed up as a guideline to all future champion auditions, assuming the community is okay with the idea and rules developed at the end of the process.

Point being, this is my attempt, as a community member, to try and improve things for everyone. I saw an issue, and rose to try and find a way to solve it. So, please don't be upset or angry with me, or anything you read below. This is a work in progress, and an attempt to stop all the bickering and fighting going on as of late. It may not eliminate all of it, but I feel it provides a more effective means by which to go about the process.

Anyway, take the time to read them carefully below, and give constructive criticism. If you honestly have an issue with something, state why, and do not simply say you hate it. Let's work to put a stop to this nonsensical in-fighting once and for all, eh?

- Kazzy

Quote:
Introduction:
So, you want to roleplay a champion of the RP Forums. That’s awesome, but before you do, consider what that means. You will be the person behind the personality of one of the League’s Champions, and you will be representing them to the community, as well as any newcomers that come to the forums. With that in mind, keep in mind that RPing a Champion should be treated more like a privilege than a right. You have a responsibility to stay true to their personality as you see it, and keep in mind that you represent that champion for others as well. That being said, if you don’t think this is something you can commit to, you might think about not auditioning. While there will almost always be someone else ready and willing to take over for you, this causes inconsistency, which is best if avoided.

Things to keep in mind:

Do you have a champion already?
If you already have a champion, consider that it might be best if you allow someone who does not already play one have the new champion rather than you auditioning. This way, we have a wider variety of people on the forums enjoying this privilege. If you have a champion already and are feeling tired of them, consider passing them to someone else you trust after winning, before trying to audition. Not only does this allow more individuals to enjoy RPing a champion, but it also allows you, as the RPer, more time and energy to focus on portraying that champion as accurately as you possibly can.

Consider keeping your audition under wraps.
Playing a champion is something many like to talk about. However, in some cases, this creates a level of favoritism, and this can skew fair voting by the community. Champion RPers should be chosen by the merit of their portrayal of the character, not by the name of their main accounts, or even necessarily by the level of their writing. Of course, grammar and spelling play a role, and your ability to tell a meaningful story. But overall, the primary thing one should consider is how the Champion is portrayed. By keeping your audition a secret by not telling people your smurf’s name, you help keep things fair for other candidates, as well as for yourself in some cases. After you have won, or after the auditions are over, feel free to share who you are if you wish, but please think about not disclosing such information beforehand to avoid bias and favoritism.

Do you have enough time for this?
Everyone has a life outside the forum, whether it be schooling, a job, some combination of the two, or other concerns. RPing a champion is no small task. They answer questions in their Ask Thread, usually, and may even RP outside of it with other characters and champions. This can be very hard when you are considering all the variables that act on a champion when they go about their life and decision-making. So, make sure that you have adequate time to place into RPing a champions, so you can do them proper justice. Remember, they are not simply “your character” to do with as you please. They should stay true to the person they are as much as possible so as not to confuse others, or break the immersion for them. If you can’t give enough time to them, consider staying out of the audition process to allow others that can give the proper time the opportunity to do so.

The Process:
As a potential candidate, you will be expected to write something that showcases your ability to roleplay the champion effectively. Traditionally, this has consisted of potential candidates writing our “League Judgments” for the champion, as Riot does not do so anymore. This may vary depending on how the persons holding the auditions wish to test candidates. However, in general, whatever is written should be some measure of your ability to portray the champion as a real person, and stick to their perceived personality. Does the person you portray sound like they could say the in-game quotes of the champion with the same level of conviction? Do they seem to be the same person shown within established Canon Riot Lore for the champion? Do they seem believable? These are all things for a writer to consider. Remember, as much as these are characters, they should be “real people” as well.

Choosing Judges:
In the past, Judges were seemingly chosen at random. This is a system that has caused conflict. As a community, we should be able to pick those that represent our decisions if things come down to requiring Judge input, just like those that represent us in governments around the world. Therefore, the community will choose judges, via votes, prior to the Audition Thread being created, in a separate thread. Voting will take place in a simplistic manner via a public poll. No voting for oneself will be allowed, smurf accounts included. Any judge found voting for themselves will be disallowed the position immediately. Those with the highest votes by the community will be made judges. A panel of no less than 3 and no more than 5 should be created to handle judging.

Judging and Voting:
Primarily, community votes should overrule what the Judges might think. After all, this is a community, and as a whole, we should have a right to have things portrayed in a way in which we can enjoy. Community votes via Public Polls will be the primary focus, however, they will NOT be the end-all be-all decision-making tool. If the community is too split between candidates, the judging body will step in to weigh the auditions for their opinion of character portrayal, and which is the most accurate within that opinion.

If the leading candidate is not ahead by approximately 20% of the votes of their nearest competitor (5 votes to 4, or 10 to 8, as examples), then the Judges will step in and deliberate based upon what they think is the best course of action. One should note this gap is even closer than the gap needed to turn a bill into law in the US House of Representatives (which is a lead of approximately 33.3%, 2 out of 3, or 8 to 12). Within this deliberation, the judges are free to come to their own conclusions of how to proceed, even if outside of community opinion.

In most cases, however, the applicant with the least votes should be removed in favor of the applicants with the most votes, and if the leading applicant is not far enough ahead in the polls, another trial of writing should be performed using the same system of votes, with judge deliberation only arising as necessary. In effect, this forces the community to choose their votes carefully, and think critically before they cast a vote for their favored portrayal, as the only way a set of voting will determine the winner without Judge input is via a clear win for the leading candidate by a superior number of community votes.

This process of voting and/or deliberation will be continued until, through several trials, a final applicant is chosen through a combination of voting and/or judging as a winner of the competition, and they will be the community-chosen RPer for the new champion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revision Notes
Currently None.

Snowy Poro

09-16-2012

I would prefer just to go back to the old way.. but that is mainly my opinion

If we risk another audition
We risk another ****-storm
and we risk more people getting upset/hurt/leaving

I'd rather not take that risk

Geokhan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-16-2012

I have one complaint.

Voting for Judges... I like the idea, but application would be difficult. We set up a poll for whom? Who gets the chance to judge?

Maybe those who RP as characters directly related to the champion should be judge and a couple OC's? OC who the community votes on based on a thread where they list the name of a OC that is not themselves.

Just a thought, I wouldn't mind taking some flak on this idea if it can be improved.

Ryugi Kazamaru

09-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geokhan View Post
I have one complaint.

Voting for Judges... I like the idea, but application would be difficult. We set up a poll for whom? Who gets the chance to judge?

Maybe those who RP as characters directly related to the champion should be judge and a couple OC's? OC who the community votes on based on a thread where they list the name of a OC that is not themselves.

Just a thought, I wouldn't mind taking some flak on this idea if it can be improved.
I'd think people would make a thread where they would send out a call for judge applicants. Then, people would suggest themselves or other persons. Examples might be.

Ryugi: "I'd like to offer my services as a judge. Please put me on the list."

GeoKhan: "I'd like to offer up Cryophoenix, assuming she is willing to accept."

Jayko: "I want to suggest Riven, because she seems up to speed on things, and is a very good champion RPer."

Irilyth: "I'd like to toss my name in, if that would be okay."

etc etc

Ryugi Kazamaru

09-16-2012

After that, a list of applicants could be provided, and the community could then vote for who they wanted to represent them in the case the votes themselves are not enough to support a clear cut victory.

Stormer1337

09-16-2012

i like it!

Geokhan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-16-2012

Ok...voter ticket by nomination. That works. It takes up space but it works.

You should add that in more clearly so people understand it more clearly.
I may be a little thick, but I don't think I am alone here.

Ryugi Kazamaru

09-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask rumb1e View Post
i like it!
Not to be a stickler, but could you explain why you like it? I would like some positive feedback as well as any negative feedback that may arise.

Positive criticism is just as important to the constructive process.

Stormer1337

09-16-2012

Its fair, and is logical, and the community has a large say in it

Ryugi Kazamaru

09-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Bott View Post
I would prefer just to go back to the old way.. but that is mainly my opinion

If we risk another audition
We risk another ****-storm
and we risk more people getting upset/hurt/leaving

I'd rather not take that risk
Honestly, that is exactly the reason I'm offering up this system for discussion, so that we can avoid sh*tstorms as the community, more or less as a whole, gave feedback and came to create a system that they can all deal with via compromise etc.

12345 ... 7