Should the maximum camera zoom out be increased?

Yes! (Any additional reasoning?) 880 88.09%
No... (Why not?) 119 11.91%
Voters: 999. You may not vote on this poll

Camera zoom out is insufficient. Let me zoom out more? Reasoning included.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LM Porky

Senior Member

09-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaunu View Post
this is a 3 dimensional game.... there's no reason to allow more camera movement. Riot... Just have the camera lock from the opposite direction for purple, so that the view is the same for both sides. That's all you have to do. no zoom changes, no nothing. no unlocking the camera rotation, simply have it lock from behind purple....

You're becoming a heavily recognized game in the competitive field... Please, consider that if my math is correct, you are giving the purple team roughly a 30% vision debuff. Which is a huge disadvantage. I especially think this should be changed considering in a month 3million dollars will be decided on the winner. And whoever starts on blue side first, will have the advantage...

Riot, please do this for the benefit of your own game in regards to equal oppurtunity for success. The only reason i see for you not to do this, is that you truly dispise the color purple so much to compromise gameplay... that is all @_@
Lol, i call BS on this, Riot already stated that they know its a slight disadvantage, they said that the queues are fixed so the purple side has 7% more advantages in player performance, and honestly, im 1900 elo and since i started to play with unlocked camera when i was around lvl 20 (looong time ago) i got much better and completely removed that "disadvantage" of me, and it wasnt even that much honestly, DotA 2 is the same, do you know what diff is it? theres no locked camera there so its the same...so please, learn to move the camera with the mouse, no one ever in high elo have even complained, but huh 30% disadvantage? thats bs lol


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

boourns

UI Designer

09-10-2012
1 of 18 Riot Posts

Zileas recently posted about this:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...07756#29107756


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IrrationalNoob

Senior Member

09-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post

Why are you linking to a closed thread?

Also larger monitors let you have a larger zoom out. Resolution matters in this regard. I believe having multiple monitors also enlarges it but I have not seen that difference.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ChaosBloodterfly

Senior Member

09-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrrationalNoob View Post
Why are you linking to a closed thread?

Also larger monitors let you have a larger zoom out. Resolution matters in this regard. I believe having multiple monitors also enlarges it but I have not seen that difference.
Valuable information was posted before the OP in that thread was downvoted into oblivion.

Also, no larger monitors do not let you zoom out more. Widescreen monitors do show more horizontal view though, as this game has a fixed vertical view, and fills out as much horizontal view as needed.

AMD's Eyefinity with a 3x1 setup will let you see a ridiculous amount of map (5760x1080), but it actually doesn't help game play that much if you're not locked screen. Some health bars will also not show up on edges, because I don't think they were planning for such a setup.

Also, it really annoys you when you look at the mini map. And this was just on a 1600x600 resolution. (You can also set custom resolutions to really ridiculous screen ratios like 2.5:1 compared to the average 16:9 widescreen.)

And I have confirmation you won't get banned for a simple custom resolution change. http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...57693#23257693


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ChaosBloodterfly

Senior Member

09-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkSlapChop View Post
Lol, i call BS on this, Riot already stated that they know its a slight disadvantage, they said that the queues are fixed so the purple side has 7% more advantages in player performance, and honestly, im 1900 elo and since i started to play with unlocked camera when i was around lvl 20 (looong time ago) i got much better and completely removed that "disadvantage" of me, and it wasnt even that much honestly, DotA 2 is the same, do you know what diff is it? theres no locked camera there so its the same...so please, learn to move the camera with the mouse, no one ever in high elo have even complained, but huh 30% disadvantage? thats bs lol
Well part of the purple disadvantage is bush placements, dragon placements, blue/red placements, etc.

Also, they never EVER released concrete numbers. I believe once they were like "approximately 1-2%" but that's it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sir Sparda

Junior Member

09-20-2012

Just started playing this game a few days ago, the lock camera is an incredible liability to any ranged champion on the purple team. I get sniped trying to play mid against a character like Ashe, Lux, Caitlynn that isn't visible on my screen. I think the locked camera should be able to zoom out the same amount as unlocked camera. Even when using a Champion like Udyr (my favorite jungler) is a hassle with a locked camera cause I can't see which direction my enemy runs after they leave bush. This forces to use unlocked camera even when playing with Udyr and just about every jungler except Warwick (passive ability allows detection).


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Duskdeep

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-09-2012

Bump for justice.

Just let us zoom out 1 or 2 more ticks. I can't see ****. Enemies see me 2 seconds before I see them, all because they have a wider monitor. We can't even try to level the playing field with third party zoom programs because we'll get banned.

Unlock my camera? Okay, that solves the vision problem while creating a whole new problem. All the extra time I have to spend micromanaging the screen means my cursor isn't available to react to the actual gameplay. You know, like incoming skill shots, ganks, warding, everything. If your screen is wider then you don't have to pan your camera as often. Your cursor is free to do other things like poke, juke, dodge, and so on.

Isn't that the kind of gameplay you want for us? Why are you making us fight the interface? We just want to play PvP... not Player vs Camera.

Face it, this advantage is bigger than any bush placement or map imbalance. You know that moment when a team fight is about to go down, and your team is dancing with the other team just waiting for an opportunity? Yeah, some people can't even see the other team.

I remember the first time I logged into Proving Grounds. My first thought was "Okay this is gonna be a problem. How do I zoom out more?"

Please don't close this thread like you closed the others. Please don't let it die. We just want to play the game.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

boourns

UI Designer

10-09-2012
2 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskdeep View Post
Bump for justice.

Just let us zoom out 1 or 2 more ticks. I can't see ****. Enemies see me 2 seconds before I see them, all because they have a wider monitor. We can't even try to level the playing field with third party zoom programs because we'll get banned.

Unlock my camera? Okay, that solves the vision problem while creating a whole new problem. All the extra time I have to spend micromanaging the screen means my cursor isn't available to react to the actual gameplay. You know, like incoming skill shots, ganks, warding, everything. If your screen is wider then you don't have to pan your camera as often. Your cursor is free to do other things like poke, juke, dodge, and so on.

Isn't that the kind of gameplay you want for us? Why are you making us fight the interface? We just want to play PvP... not Player vs Camera.

Face it, this advantage is bigger than any bush placement or map imbalance. You know that moment when a team fight is about to go down, and your team is dancing with the other team just waiting for an opportunity? Yeah, some people can't even see the other team.

I remember the first time I logged into Proving Grounds. My first thought was "Okay this is gonna be a problem. How do I zoom out more?"

Please don't close this thread like you closed the others. Please don't let it die. We just want to play the game.
I encourage you to read Zileas's post that I linked earlier. The zoom level was a deliberate game design decision that they spent a lot of time on early in the development of the game. That thread closed itself because the original poster was downvoted by other people in the community.

I can't speak for the game designers, but, *for me*, map awareness in the form of the minimap, moving the camera to look around me and at other lanes, warding, etc. *is* a critical part of gameplay. It is a skill that requires work to develop and I am regularly punished with unseen ganks or lost team fights when I make mistakes.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Captain America

Senior Member

10-09-2012

Riot doesn't get it honestly. They won't even give us further zoom out for the spectating. We just need one or two more clicks.

Nothing more irritating than being forced to hit space bar a few times during a fight to find yourself after an ali knock back followed by a jace or something similar.

Make me green or something!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-09-2012

"We want people to make errors in looking around to get ganked. That also does help you gank at non-pro skill levels."

So, you deliberately left in a design flaw to make the game harder to control, which can also be exploited by more experienced players playing against weaker players.

"Also, if we allowed ANY zoom, a lot of people would feel compelled to play at the max, even though they were having more frustration controlling things, and a less visually pleasing experience. They would also suffer at the same time in both directions from a different lane feel."

People wouldn't feel compelled to do anything. They would use the zoom level they preferred. I suspect that would turn out to be the new max in almost all cases - anything less then the current max is utterly useless for anything beyond cosmetics. That is, if you're actually playing, you want to zoom out as much as possible. I'm not sure what you're on about with a less visually pleasing experience. I don't play this for the graphics(not that they're bad, but I'd happily play this game with worse). Nor do I know what you mean by frustration controlling things - they'll actually have an easier time without because they don't have to **** around with camera controls just to get a decent view. And they'd quickly get used to a different lane feel. Actually, they wouldn't have to if you'd just designed it to be balanced with respect to team color or allowed a greater zoom in the first place.