Riot playing catchup

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JunKx

09-14-2010

What i mean is in the department of "balancing" the game and riot playing catchup due to the current metagame determining the current OP.

Currently the metagame is tanky characters, but lets take a look back for a minute.
Once upon a time the current meta was poking. Teams compd with a bunch of great pokers and staying out of full fledged team fights poking their HPs lower and lower until it was guaranteed a team fight win for their side. A lot of pokers were considered OP and thus, nerfed because that was currently how the game was being played.

Meta swapped to a healing one. New popular champions became godly such as taric, nidalee, janna. Healing as well as a bunch of the popular at the time current meta champions were nerfed since they were perceived as OP.

blah blah blah between metagames a few champions stick out for being OP because they were basically breaking games or just able to turn the tides completely on their own (the only valid nerfs IMO) heimer/shaco etc.

current meta game is tanky DPS team comp. Many champs are being considered OP once again due to either working for the metagame, or completely countering it (garen, kogmaw). Now riot will again try to "balance" the game towards the current metagame by nerfing probably both these champions, to which a new meta will appear.

IMO anyway riot should REALLY stop nerfing champions just because of the current metagame, because outside of said meta those champions are perfectly fine and "balanced". Which explains why a champion will go from being mid tier or so to super godly OP crazy monster tier overnight, because the meta changed.
Once champions are nerfed the meta will change and said champions that just got nerfed will become useless since they are now UP because they were never OP. its just a bunch of whiners crying about a current champion that counters their current strategy.

Right now we are unable to adapt our gameplay (majority anyway) and thus we are forcing riot to adapt entire champion mechanics at our will.
Idealy things should be balanced enough where there is no set "meta", but balancing champions to the current meta is definitely not solving that issue.

TLDR I beg of you riot, please stop caving in to these OP threads and nerfing champions based on current metagames and balance the game so there is no meta.

EDIT:

Quote:
Metagaming is a broad term usually used to define any strategy, action or method used in a game which transcends a prescribed ruleset, uses external factors to affect the game, or goes beyond the supposed limits or environment set by the game.

Cheez Bix

09-14-2010

Could you please explain for me the concept of, "Metagame."

Slash Chaplin

09-14-2010

well said.

erimon

09-14-2010

I've seen this happen in countless games. Imo it's a good thing. It may mean your favourite champ gets beaten with a stick for a while but it also means the wheel starts turning and a new meta arrives. People forget that nerfs are inevitably followed by buffs (some direct some indirect) down the road. Without giving players incentives to change what works for them (by buffing other strategies or nerfing current ones) they aren't going to do it. Nerfs keep the game from going into equilibrium and make new and interesting metas arise.

Saffire

09-14-2010

There's always a meta. The question that is of concern to designers is whether the meta is tilted too heavily towards one comp (ie, play this comp or lose). If it is, such as when healing comps were the big thing, then it falls to Riot to decide whether that is good for the game or not. It was ultimately determined to not be good because it was boring and players hated it, not because it was OP. As a counterexample, AoE comps have pretty much always been very strong and Riot hasn't made any strong moves towards nerfing it.

Louise

09-14-2010

metas only exist because there are no counters to them.

rally/promote won the game at champ select

heal/poke won the game at champ select.

tanky/dps wins the game at champ select

short of getting kog/amumu/nasus/malz/poppy on your team, you're not going to beat a tanky/dps lineup.

Twisted

09-14-2010

New champs= Money. LoL is Riots platform to finance other games. More champs= More imbalance and a larger curve for providing a balanced enviroment.

This game is not competitive and never will be. It simply uses the COMP tag becuase it sells.

No replays, No balance, and needing to buy runes pages to play ranked mean it will NEVER be a true comp game.

Do not expect anything more from this game than what it is.

B33R

09-14-2010

I agree with the OP, Riot needs to stop the madness. Let barlet be bartlet.

JunKx

09-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by erimon View Post
I've seen this happen in countless games. Imo it's a good thing. It may mean your favourite champ gets beaten with a stick for a while but it also means the wheel starts turning and a new meta arrives. People forget that nerfs are inevitably followed by buffs (some direct some indirect) down the road. Without giving players incentives to change what works for them (by buffing other strategies or nerfing current ones) they aren't going to do it. Nerfs keep the game from going into equilibrium and make new and interesting metas arise.
this is the problem....i'd prefer a consistent game rather than a what is this game going to turn into tomorrow type of game. and again the reason why nerfs are followed by inevitable buffs is because they didn't need that nerf in the first place, the only reason it happened was because of the giant QQ regarding whatever champ/skill due to the metagame at that time, which then gets rebuffed because it wasn't a problem in the first place

Zero74

09-14-2010

So you'd rather have LoL sticking to the current ''metagame'' as you put it of tanky DPS?

I don't like the focus on tanky DPS as it makes squishy DPS champions somewhat unnecessary, lately I find myself (Xin main) seeing an Ashe/Teemo/whatever and taking them out without any effort whatsoever. It's not balanced as it should be. I think the nerfs and buffs of champions are simply the process of Riot perfecting and balancing its game.

You make it sound as if Riot buffs and nerfs champions solely at the whim of it's player base. I am sure Riot recognises the problem of "metagames" dominating the game and buffs/nerfs accordingly.

Tanky DPS deserves a place in LoL but should not dominate the game.