@Riot - Letting LoL Mature

123456 ... 11
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dazzlin Flame

09-05-2012

While I didn't like your first paragraph, as it has a lot of unnecessary information, and doesn't really relate to what you're saying. I overall agree with what you said, the meta is far too constrained by the knee jerk nerfs of Riot.

Mayan Snipe Jock

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzlin Flame View Post
While I didn't like your first paragraph, as it has a lot of unnecessary information, and doesn't really relate to what you're saying. I overall agree with what you said, the meta is far too constrained by the knee jerk nerfs of Riot.
I just wanted to make it clear that when, for example. triple support was shown at IPL4 I was playing a **** ton of games, and I can say with certainty that that strategy never translated to solo queue or normals before it was nerfed, Perhaps it was a bit fluffy though, and either way thanks for your support =)

Mayan Snipe Jock

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-05-2012

Bump =)

Mayan Snipe Jock

09-06-2012

Bump =)

kidodakach

09-06-2012

bump ;3

sux

09-06-2012

I agree.
League has become incredibly stagnant (boring) at ALL levels of play because of their over-aggressive nerfing.

Tolfor

09-06-2012

Whenever I look at Riot's "nerf it as soon as they figure it out" strategy, I'm reminded of Super Smash Brothers: Brawl (an interesting example as it's a game with tournament presence but zero post-release support).

When the game first came out, the competitive scene deemed Metaknight to be gamebreakingly overpowered compared to the rest of the roster and almost immediately, he was banned from play in almost every tournament. As a result... he's still banned from almost every tournament.

Nobody ever bothered to figure out how to deal with him because he wasn't being played anyway, but I remain convinced that if he hadn't been knee-jerk banned from tournies, top players would have found a way to handle him.

The Mechy

09-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostRevenant View Post
oh this old hazy line again?
hello hazy line!

Its a two sided sword. Essentially while you want to go promote new strategies here is the underlying problem as related to competitive players

A) Competitive players play to win
A1) If A is true then that means these players will choose the best heroes and use the best strategies to ensure their wins
B) Overpowered strategies/heroes have a greater chance of winning due to their OP nature
C) Since Competitive players want to win and use the strategies that will best guarantee them victories they use more frequently overpowered champs and overpowered strategies as they have the best chances of creating that win.
Keep in mind I specifically avoided the word always. This is not always the case that teams are built around only THE best, but the point stands.

And the hazy line. What constitutes OP heroes/strategies versus legitimate balanced characters/strategies? I cant say myself. I think dont Riot wants to ruin any new metas or strategies but they do have to ensure that abusive/OP strategies are balanced out.

This is the two sided sword
^
This

It's hard to see the point where nerfing a strategy is a good idea or a bad idea. You want the community to figure out a counter strategy by themselves, but you also don't want a game-breaking strategy to completely take over the game. Gosh, if triple support turned out to be the strongest team, people would just use that and win every game, and not to mention 80% (WARNING! exaggerated number) of the champions would become unviable since you'd have to have 3 supports on your team.

Penta-mage is also something I would hate to see take over the game. Goodbye all AD champs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolfor View Post
Whenever I look at Riot's "nerf it as soon as they figure it out" strategy, I'm reminded of Super Smash Brothers: Brawl (an interesting example as it's a game with tournament presence but zero post-release support).

When the game first came out, the competitive scene deemed Metaknight to be gamebreakingly overpowered compared to the rest of the roster and almost immediately, he was banned from play in almost every tournament. As a result... he's still banned from almost every tournament.

Nobody ever bothered to figure out how to deal with him because he wasn't being played anyway, but I remain convinced that if he hadn't been knee-jerk banned from tournies, top players would have found a way to handle him.
Hmm...I don't know...there's probably a good reason why he's still banned. It's not like no one in this world experiments you know.
I sure hope you aren't a Meta Knight player... ಠ_ಠ

Mayan Snipe Jock

09-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naland View Post
^
It's hard to see the point where nerfing a strategy is a good idea or a bad idea. You want the community to figure out a counter strategy by themselves, but you also don't want a game-breaking strategy to completely take over the game.
I'm not saying Riot shouldn't nerf strategies that are game breaking, I'm saying how on earth can they judge them to be game breaking in such a short space of time, without letting the playerbase at large even get a chance to try it, or the Pros a chance to counter it. The supports involved in the triple support comp were nerfed litterally the patch after the tournament, as such no one got a chance to test it out, or figure out how to deal with it.

Tolfor

09-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naland View Post
Hmm...I don't know...there's probably a good reason why he's still banned. It's not like no one in this world experiments you know.
I sure hope you aren't a Meta Knight player... ಠ_ಠ
LOL, nope, I actually play Ganondorf in Brawl... and if you're not familiar with the tier lists for that game, he's ranked 40th best - out of 40 characters.

123456 ... 11