Hi, I'm the new eCommerce Director

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NegaStoat

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
I'd like to come up with a permanent policy tor IP reductions that players can rely upon, but am still gathering info to make sure we get the policy right. I'll throw some of my ideas out here to gather more input before anything is finalized.
I think the community had adjusted well to the idea of " X amount of new champions are released, then 2 venerable 6300 IP champions are reduced to 4800 IP " trend. Unfortunately the trend skipped from last April until now.

I understand that it's going to take a lot of negotiating, research, and approval to get something set in stone for the future for players to rely upon. Yet, if and when it does happen, you might be able to kill two birds with one stone in warning players ahead of time (uncertain of time limit) of which pair of 4800 IP champs are up to be reduced next.

This would in theory tug in terms of RP sales for those champs as people would avoid buying them until they were reduced, but it could also stave off having to kick out the automated refunds of the price difference to the accounts that obtained them within 30 days of the reduction. I think that's the current policy.

Really looking forward to hearing what's decided upon. I'm a bit jaded when I say I'm not expecting to hear more on this until we're into 2013.

Quote:
If enough players wanted something like that, I could probably make it happen. But only if they promised not to call it a grind!
My initial reaction is "No" to this one. People that show off skins for champions in the game are displaying their support of Riot by paying real money for them. Pax exceptions and free offers not included.

However, if you guys DID ever offer one or more skins for dedicated Tribunal workers reaching milestone marks of accurate and loyal service... Just sayin'.

Snailygoat

09-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wispborne View Post
I personally like keeping skins separate and only purchasable via RP.

People will want options, but as you mentioned, adding a high IP cost would most likely lead to more whining about having to grind for things. I like the idea that you can unlock anything functional in the game for free and that customization is where the money comes in.

I, for one, would not spend IP on skins, given the choice. There are already things that require lots of IP (rune pages!!!) and, as somebody who doesn't play more than 4-5 games a week, all of my IP goes to champions.

Additionally, seeing/buying skins gives a nice fuzzy feeling of supporting Riot that having the ability to purchase via IP would cheapen.
Basically this x10000

Buying certain skins in my mind means "I support this idea from Riot and hope to see more of this in the future"

As much as I will be downvoted, as a paying customer, I would not like this change at all.

RyKell

09-04-2012

I personally do not mind the pricing schemes so far. Would like to see some reductions over time...or even maybe a free champion of your choice when you hit account level 10/20/30 to help the new players along.

However, I would definitely like to see some more bundles, especially those that specially towards a certain type. Like Ranged AD Carry Bundle with Twitch/Ashe/Ezreal/etc.. along with a limited skin and maybe a pre-built Rune Page with Ranged AD runes. I can't really come up with a price, but it would definitely be something that would interest quite a few people.

Also, skins available for IP would be nice, even if it were RP value x 15 to determine IP Value. IE: Corporate Mundo - 27300 IP, where as Black Belt Udyr would be 7800 IP. Maybe a bit grindy, but nothing worthwhile should be so easy to obtain!

Heavy Machinery

09-04-2012

Quote:

To answer your question, there are no plans to change the standard rate of IP gains. Reducing the IP cost of content either permanently or through sales should help that IP work a little harder for you though.

But why were they lowered in the first place? They have been lowered once since I joined and it is my understanding that they were lowered twice before that (I can't verify this) What's the reasoning behind the lowering?

It's the fact that things take considerably longer to unlock due to these nerfs that leave a bad taste in people's mouths and may make LoL feel "grindy" even though you made a good point about it not being a grind. When we have our eyes on a new champ or rune or page, seeing the meager sums of IP we get per game is a bit discouraging.

Especially for players like me who are fairly new and about to hit level 30, we have to start saving for all these runes and rune pages and champs in order to be on equal standing with others in ranked and it's a big discouragement to see the gains get lowered.

I would just like to know the reasoning/

Noboty

09-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJaxon View Post
I like that at least you're willing to admit that rune pages being so expensive is frustrating as hell to a lot of players, unlike Morello and Lyte.
I must agree with this statement.

Pika Fox

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-04-2012

Something ive always wanted to see implemented are rewards specifically for repeated customers or people who have played the game a long time.

On the end of repeated customers, maybe once every x months, you are refunded y% of the total RP you have purchased (not given away from Riot, actual purchases). This means the more money you spend, the more money you are allotted back once every so often (say, 10%/6-12 months. This means if you spend $100 in RP, youll get $10 worth every 6 or so months). This would encourage spending more to get more later, while feeling rewarded for putting more money into the game in the long run.

On the account of longevity, maybe having a specific special skin for people with accounts 1 year old, 2 years old, 3 years, etc., and having the account unlock those skins over the course of having the account that long.

ƒ Shepherd Book

09-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snailygoat View Post
Basically this x10000

Buying certain skins in my mind means "I support this idea from Riot and hope to see more of this in the future"

As much as I will be downvoted, as a paying customer, I would not like this change at all.
Cheers, looks like more people than just you and I agree.

What I wouldn't mind seeing is some choice skins getting IP costs added to them, say, some of the less popular ones. Maybe it'll whet the appetite of folks who were hesitant to spent real money.
Then again, maybe it'll just cause people to cry/beg for all/more champs to have an IP price tag.

Either way, I'm going to bed.

Kimimaro49

09-04-2012

One question that is bugging me alot:

Do we actually get the IP back if we bought a champion prior to his IP reduction?

I believe this would only be fair, since we, the players, used one of the most important resources there is to get a champion via IP: Time.

Counterargument that's not counting at all:
"We don't get money back when skins/champs are on sale"
-You know that someday a skin is gonna be on sale, yet you decided to buy it earlier,
so your waste of money is a product of your impatience we never get information about
champion price reductions before they happen.

NegaStoat

09-04-2012

I'll answer that question.

In the past (and still in the present, I believe), if you purchase a champion that is later reduced in IP price value, you are refunded the IP difference automatically if it's within 30 days of the change. I've had this happen a couple of times now - both with Kennen when his price was reduced and with Kayle when she was given out free to people for the close of the previous season.

Their service was automated to track account purchases and a player had bought something within 30 days of the reduction, their account was marked for a refund of the difference and you got an Email about it to your account Email.

But it's just the 30 day window (or it might be 28 days, uncertain). If you bought it before that, you're out of luck. You basically got the value of using the champion from that point on though.

Hippalus

eCommerce Director

09-04-2012
8 of 26 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giratino View Post
So, I see that Cait and Maokai have a new pricing set for 790RP, does this mean we will be able to see a restructuring of the RP to IP scale of champions in the near future? Considering how frustrating it is to see 3150 champs cost as much money as 6300s. :/
Yes, I would like to restructure the RP/IP champion price scales as I agree with all of the comments that it makes little sense today. But to make a change that big, I need more data, and that's why I am OK with making it a little messier in the short term by having those two 4800s cost less RP than 3150s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthless Sophie View Post
Welcome to Riot, How do you feel about champion bundles based on champions classes for example tank bundles or AP carry bundles... just throwing that idea out there :P
I think there is so much more we could do with bundles, including themed bundles and some version of create your own bundles. It will take some time to make this happen, but I will start a specific bundle thread in the coming days as I'd like to get your feedback here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scourgebacon View Post
Was wondering if you guys will ever reduce the price of bundles if you already have parts of it already? EX: Gamer's Choice Pack - if you already have some champs from it can you get the RP cost of them reduced so you dont have to pay for stuff you already have.
This is a great idea and the technology for it is already being worked on. I'll address this in the new bundle thread as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurecat View Post
w/rt Bundles, have you given any thought to letting us "pre-order" bundles of new champs & skins, at a discount? Something like paying 10,000 RP up front to get the next 10 champ + skin bundles, or something like that.
Another good bundle idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomNomNomCakey View Post
are you only working with existing pricing things or will you be in charge of introducing new things for us to buy as well?
We are working on a few new types of (cosmetic) content that will allow additional customization, but I can't talk details at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thats unhealthy View Post
Would it be possible to add a new currency for buying runes? This would be earned along side IP and XP (Or it could be one in the same as XP) and would ease the burden on buying runes.
New currencies to purchase content are not on my radar, as they would be too complex to implement relative to the added value for players. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yohnski View Post
What are your thoughts on scaling IP prices for rune pages? Such as the first page you buy (3rd page total) is 450 IP, the next is 1350 IP, then 3150, until it finally caps at 6300.

This would allow for those players who dislike spending money on the game to quickly reach a reasonable number of runepages (you can get a total of 5 for what you'd need to spend for 1 now) and would still encourage those who want excessive customization (more than 5 rune pages) to buy RP to obtain them.

Any specific thoughts on this particular example, or scaling prices in general?
Interesting idea. The biggest hurdle would be that the technology to do that does not exist in our store today, and would take a while to build. I don't want to wait that long to address the rune page problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzuslaveboi View Post
Any chance you'll get them to temp re-release old "Event" skins for a few days for those of us who didn't play back then can buy em huh huh
I think most players would love this but I'd want to be sure we live up to the commitment made when those skins were put into the legacy vault. In other words, did we set an expectation for some skins that they would never be available again? I need to do more research there, and would appreciate input from those who own legacy skins.