I'm RiotGypsy. AMAA

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Eserine

08-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordian View Post
You said Riot does not have a champion that they would say is "officially" black, so what about Ryze then? His human skin clearly shows that he is indeed black.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StompEmlnTheNuts View Post
All I have to say is that people who think Human Ryze looks like a black guy, probably has never seen a black guy IRL. I'm black, my family is black, my friends are mostly black and I grew up in a black neighborhood, and not one black person looks like Human Ryze.
Beyond simply not having the features or skin-tone similar to someone of African descent Ryze is an ethnomorph who (unlike a long list of characters of Asian or Caucasian similarity) changes skin color (grey, green, white, red, purple, beige) with every single alternate skin created, giving no consistent portrayal of an appearance, whereas Ezreal on the other hand always looks like Ezreal, etc.

Duhizy

08-29-2012

there have been many threads over the last week about people wanting a buff for vaynes base or passive movement speed and there have been platinum players that have posted in agreement with these changes. Is there anyway that we'll be seeing maybe a 5-10 ms buff to vaynes base or passive ms or a revertion of the previous nerfs to her base ms and passive ms even being talked abut in the near future? maybe even another fix to see her played competitively ever again?

Light LaserTower

08-29-2012

Delete Teemo.

Atlanis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsylord View Post
-LOVE Fire Emblem
Lyn, Hector or Eliwood?

Yfrappefort

08-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gafugarion View Post
Are you super excited about the new 3DS Fire Emblem game!?
He already said he was getting the 3DS as soon as the game goes out.

Yfrappefort

08-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanis View Post
Lyn, Hector or Eliwood?
He also said that he hated Eliwood (who dosen't?) and that Lyn was his favorite, with Hector quickly behind her. Look at his previous replies .

Balrox

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-29-2012

Hiya Gypsy!
So my question is: Do you still play with your friends from your documentary? If so, are they like "woah he is a rioter now"

pro4never

08-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsylord View Post
-I went to college at Dartmouth and graduated with a BA in Economics 2 months ago. Also studied Theater, Film, Chemistry, and Biology (was a pre-med freshman year).

With your background in economics, how would you describe your translation into champion design?

I did a couple years of Philosophy before smartening up and going into a computer programmer analyst program (I was already programming in most of my spare time). I'm quite interested in your experience with being being hired at riot and the translation of your personal skills.

Personally I'm mostly focused on game theory and feature analysis in my personal projects but will also be working on improving my overall programming experience (as related to math and algorithms which is a weak point for me). Would love to work for Riot or a similar company in the future and would appreciate any advice and insight into the whole thing

gypsylord

Champion Designer

08-29-2012
31 of 65 Riot Posts

32 and 33:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiberLux View Post
Gypsylord, i have some questions:

Does Riot hear the community even if no reds post in those threads?

What is the priority for seasson 3 changes?

Does Riot check "champion concepts" to get some ideads? Or is just a place where our concepts are only for players?

How do you enjoy playing support? I find it the most bored role to play, but i like to help people ingame.
- We read a lot of posts, just because we don't respond doesn't mean we're not thinking about the problems presented by you guys.

-You'd have to ask live about season 3.

-When I first started working on my champ I checked out champ concepts in order to discern expectations. I wasn't looking to find exact abilities, but instead find common threads on things people seem to like for the kind of character she is.

Example: If I was working on Ziggs I would have scanned the forum for champs with explosives and then looked at what people were doing with said explosives. Do people like to throw bombs? Do they like bombs that slow? Do they like bombs that knock people around? If everyone who designs a bomb champ seems to LOVE giant AoE explosions that heal parrots then I can look into making an ability that gives that kind of flavor.

-Support is not for everyone. Most people will find it boring because at the end of the day you do no damage and get no kills. I just love the feeling I get when I KNOW that my ward secured us a level 2 kill on their jungle fiddle at red. I don't really care that I wasn't the one up there ganking him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtome View Post
Do you recognize my username from anywhere?
Bad guy from one of the Fire Emblems...can't remember which one...Radiant Dawn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROtoro View Post
Broseph. I has a question:

Did you read Morello's job posting on the forums? If so, did you chuckle at the McKinsey example that he gave, because I did
LoL, should have mentioned Bwater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3soulswords View Post
Who is your favorite non-yordle champ

Also: Gimme kiss
Sona. Stud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezola View Post
-How did it feel the first time you clicked "post" and it was red?

-What's your favorite type of champion? I don't mean role, I'm talking human, beast, monster, yordle, etc. Which would you like to see more of?

-Which champ do you wish you could play better because, even though you feel like a baws, it doesn't show? (Everyone has this, for me it's Brand)
-Felt good Love this job.

-I like yordles. I would like to see more yordles. After that I'd like to see more female monsters that aren't about *** appeal (and more monsters in general). Kog's Mom!

-Ezreal. I suck at skill shots. That's why I play support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KmancXC View Post
Well I was thinking one of two ways. Either the shield gets stronger if the shielded ally (could be a minion or champion) gets a kill on an enemy (bonus would be higher for a champ kill)

Or, and this one is cooler, if the shielded ally is saved by the shield: in this case, you could shield a minion that is low on health, and hope that it is not focused. If the remaining health of the ally when the shield expires is less than the amount that the shield was, it would count as "saving" that ally.
First idea is interesting...An offensive shield that beefs when you hit the enemy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnivicent View Post
I am currently a student at an Ivy League school myself (I see that you went to Dartmouth), and at school, the faculty always ensures that we, as students, can study whatever we are most interested in/passionate about, and that we don't have to study for a job (AKA study economics to get into finance or business). I was wondering, did you feel that studying economics helped you get the job, or do you believe that you could have studied something in the humanities and have gotten hired?

Also, what kind of internships/work did you do over the summer to put you in a position where your resume looked good enough to get you hired by an awesome video game company?

Thanks, and good luck! I'm sure your champ will be awesome
Studying EVERYTHING helped me get the job. I may have been an econ major, but that's only because I needed a major to graduate. I took TONS of different classes and was crazy close to having minors in 5 other subjects.

Also, job experience looks great. My internship at the hedge fund really helped. Taught me how to function in a high pace merit based work environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninbushido View Post
Can you make sure your champion isn't OP? No offense to Certainlyt but, he's not really good at doing that...
He sits next to me. We both laughed at this. We never make a champ OP on purpose. Our goal is to make champs that are fun, sometimes we get a little carried away, give them too much, and things slip through. We're going to try hard not to make another Zyra on release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlord Genmu View Post
Awh man you play da wii? Once you get it running you should 1v1 me smash bros brawl scrub. (Gonna just, imply you have it. You'd better have it. Or elsssssse.)

Oh, also, is your champion smaller than a house? Important question right here.
Brawl is for noobs. Melee all the way. Jigglypuff is a BAWS.

My champ is a sentient barn that shoots rainbows. Are barns bigger than houses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eserine View Post
Not all threads are created equal, I recommended these links because the discussion evolved into a high-level exchange on the very subjects you mention of "fitting in". tokenism, and "diversity for the sake of diversity" vs. what players on the forum are actually asking for in regards to this issue, and not only with black champions but a number of other unrepresented ethnicities.

In brief

- To avoid "Tokenism" or mischaracterization charges RIOT simply needs to demonstrate an understanding that not all people of any given ethnicity have the same strengths or weaknesses. This might most easily be done by creating a number of characters of Latino, Native American, or Black likeness within the character roster just as now there are many characters of Caucasian and Asian similarity (and not just a single token) with differing personalities, viewpoints, affinities, or attributes.

- Many players are not requesting "just give us any black character!"- as Xyph has included Bioshock and Tidehunter references in creating Nautilus and IronStylus has taken the image of Lady Gaga to fit his ideas of what Diana is like (and several more examples of using characterizations existing outside the game) many players are asking for specific instances of Black, Latino, Native American, etc. heroes from world history, ancient mythology, or modern films, literature, comics, TV shows, or games to be celebrated within LoL in the same way as has already been done with other individuals. Beyond "forcing in" diversity for the sake of diversity (which is still praised by your colleagues at times):
You make some great points man. Thanks for all the input, it's informative. Don't worry, champ diversity is not forgotten. Wish I could say more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The TerminatoRz View Post
Do you have any tips for an Senior Highschool student going into Animation and then applying to Riot games?
Start animating things and get really really good at it! Once you've got a portfolio show us how awesome you are.

TheUnburned

08-29-2012

Holy Crud. A Red with a teemo display pic who's a support main that plays a lot of Tristana bot and Teemo top, and loves TF2 and Fire Emblem. Are you...my long lost twin?