@Riot, Suggestion to break the initial 4 top 1 bot "meta".

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wolfalisk

08-27-2012

As everyone knows, the current meta for Dominion is one bot, one stops at mid, 3 go top, and then the other joins them as they fight for windmill. I have an idea that might break this up a bit, and allow for some more variation in the initial minutes of a Dominion match.

Have the shield buff relics spawn as soon as the game begins. Here is how I theorize this will affect the gameplay:

One will still go bot, and one will still cap mid. The variation begins here. A team can either send TWO people to the middle of the map to secure the shield relic and/or deny the other team theirs, and one goes top to at least contest Windmill and prevent its capture until the buffed person can get themselves up there. During this time each side will finish capping their mid, so they can either send that person top to overpower the Windmill 1v1, or go mid to further contest the shield relics and zone the other team from theirs at least long enough to cap windmill before they back off. This allows a team to allocate resources differently (more control of mid or a chance to make the Windmill struggle 2v1 for a short time).

This also opens up other opportunities. if the initial 1v1 up top goes bad and windmill was captured by the enemy, someone on your team is likely still mid with the shield relic active. They can gank bot to quickly equalize the situation.

Thoughts?

Ekis the Seraph

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-27-2012

There's a huge problem with your idea: It's a noobtrap and people will still conform to the meta.

Those who have at least a decent idea of Dominion but not enough to comprehend the actual teamfights will try to rambo to the mid (while the rest of the team ignores it), only to get killed by possibly 4 others, or better yet leave his team at a disadvantage in a teamfight just to secure a relic when those who know better will just go for points (and just blow up the relic grabber when they see him). Think of them as Dominion equivalents to SR ELO Hell Tryndameres.

If anybody had half a brain, it'd be to kill one of their teammates and cap while the enemy team is grabbing the relic (since you can see them in the middle that would be perfect queue to either rush cap top or simply just put them at a disadvantage of a Xv4 (X = less than 4). Now that team has 3 points, someone's dead, and they're pushing your mid or bot.

onisnake

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

08-27-2012

There is some EU play as well as some games we have done with Nekrogen that have involved a 2 bot 3 top strategy. Making a strong bottom pushing lane and the 3 top able to survive you instead put pressure on bottom making them conform to your 2 bottom but without the proper team for it. You can also always POOTERS it up.

Ekis the Seraph

08-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by onisnake View Post
There is some EU play as well as some games we have done with Nekrogen that have involved a 2 bot 3 top strategy. Making a strong bottom pushing lane and the 3 top able to survive you instead put pressure on bottom making them conform to your 2 bottom but without the proper team for it. You can also always POOTERS it up.
As a POOTER I support this.

DiscworldDeath

08-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by onisnake View Post
It's mostly a specific duo. And while it sometimes works in randoms, it usually fails in tournaments quite badly.

Also, there's this hate towards the word "meta". It's descriptive, and it's not necessarily something that needs fixing.

Things change enough 5 minutes into the game.

Hamm3rhand

08-27-2012

hey oni, i'm interested in this 2 bot thing and would like to give it a try. what champs do you normally use? just two pushers? mage/ad? any specific considerations?

Vesh

Game Designer

08-27-2012
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamm3rhand View Post
hey oni, i'm interested in this 2 bot thing and would like to give it a try. what champs do you normally use? just two pushers? mage/ad? any specific considerations?

I feel like we had mild success last week with Nunu+Vayne but IIRC the lane matchup was incredibly difficult for that comp and was able to hold off 2v1 pretty effectively. The idea of the lane was to get Vayne to a point where she could snowball hard at 15 mintues, but we weren't able to hold off enough early game and by the time Vayne was buff it was too late.

konfetarius

08-27-2012

The way I see it, anything you accomplish by having 2 people bot you can do better by just having someone gank bot often.

Less strain on your top lane as well.

AlphaFerric

08-27-2012

I bet an Udry bot and longer range ad carry would make that a lot more interesting. Go pheonix mode with a bunch of defense items to push the lane and have cait/trist/some ad with a decent escape last hit the weak minions (trist would even push okay on top of udyr).

Would just need a point in bear form to make the lane a threat to the solo guy, and just make sure one of them has exhaust and the other has fortify for both defensive and offenses purposes.

lbgsloan

08-27-2012

I'll personally like to see a test where the map is essentially flipped vertically. ie 2 points top, 1 in the middle of bot. It would be too dangerous and isolated to make someone babysit the top point 24/7 like bot is now, so it could be interesting to see if that eliminates one person being stuck playing farmville every game.