Let's talk about abuse of the report feature

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Asolitaryllama

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

08-22-2012

Well I've never been banned (or warned [I don't think]) and I am proud of it! Personally, I don't even find it that hard to not get reported. Another bonus for avoiding reports, it boosts your team's morale when you talk positively and help your teammates instead of throwing them under the bus.

Keep up the good work Riot!

And especially you Lyte!

Lemonwedgie

08-22-2012

Can we stop using the word toxic to describe a group of players that is related based on a vague statistic?

Lets take this for what it is: an easy way to get a hold of the report system quickly. It is clearly an issue in this game, one that needed a response. That this is the way it was handled is less than desirable, however, many would argue this action is better than none in the long run. For the sake of this game, let us hope so.

Why it was decided the tribunal could not handle reports like it always has is confusing, perhaps it is being flooded to a point of bogging the system down.

While action was right to be taken, the nature of all of this is terribly sudden. The major claim here is that these people who were banned are such rotten beings a warning would not have sufficed. There is no evidence supporting this, as every individual is a different and will respond in their own manner. Reducing to this is as short-sighted as those individual reporting for anything they do not understand.

From what we're being told, the worst offenders were the focus here. Some of these people will continue on the path they were banned for, some will take the good from this, others will leave confused about how to communicate with game support.

Some obscure group was put together based on a statistic, that does not categorize these individuals properly. We see the nature of the posts today. Some are naturally offensive and shortsighted, others want to argue their position. Others yet are looking at this thing for what it is and trying to make sense of it all.

In all, you have managed, with this ban, to reach out to a surprisingly diverse group of people. Some have never been warned through the tribunal system, some have never been banned, some are repeat offenders. At the end of the day you're using this group to send a message to the entire community, some of these people where rightfully banned others are the wrong side of a couple of bad days.

The report system is used in various ways, all of these people deemed excessive are not mindless thugs. Some of them use the report systems as a different means to communicate the flow of the game.

Regardless, the deed is done. Perhaps next time we can take our time and sort out a proper solution to the looming problems we're facing rather than smash it with a stone.

Futonlol

08-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NexuS View Post
I report someone about once every 10 or so games. I rarely ever see trolls or *******s in my games and haven't seen a feeder or AFKer in several months.
according to your match history you very rarely play....

FunnyPlants

08-22-2012

The only thing that really confuses me about this whole situation is how clueless so many people seem to be about it. No, people who just report a lot aren't being banned. It's the people who ruin other's game experiences. I really don't know what's so hard to understand.

Good job though lyte, I hope you had fun on your day off :P

Momento Morý

08-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futonlol View Post
Sure it is but that's not what's happening here. What's happening here is an outraged community disagreeing with a decision and the person who made that decision back peddling and making excuses to justify his mistakes.
He hasn't backpedaled on anything though. It's been pretty consistently all day "people who abuse reports and are asses about it"
Quote:
But we weren't, we were banned for something completely different that has nothing to do with the reporting system
You were banned for the mixture of the two. Imagine a Venn diagram. The people in the area where the two circles intersect had their bans expedited, but the people outside the intersection did not.

Phen˛m

08-22-2012

Lyte I just want to know if my account has any weight at all in reporting. I don't need to know how much, just a simple yes or no answer is good enough.

Is my account currently set at 0 in terms of report weights?

iPromi

08-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
I can answer #1 for now. We actually have a loottttttt of data and math running in the background. For example, we know exactly who is queued up with who in every match and how each player played. We even know what is the 'range' of performances possible for each Elo bracket and for each specific Champion. For example, I could check the historical performances of Sona at 1300 Elo and determine how many standard deviations off your Sona performance was.

We aren't sure how much of these tools we will allow the community to use, but we do use them ourselves to confirm more ambiguous cases and make sure we choose the correct verdict. The Tribunal is great for identifying toxic behaviors but the main goal of the Tribunal has been to teach Riot what the community believes is toxic behavior and bubble the worst cases to our staff.
Hello Lyte,

Im personally happy to see the recent changes it seems you guys really want to improve your systems and im happy to hear about it. Personally, im a player who never starts bad attitudes except if people really do things on a very purpose or just to annoy others (like influencing game with bad attitude and giving up, or saying gg easy etc) and i found my self having reported many people but ive aslo played a very big amount of games too. Yet i regret being angry over the game and even on bad behaved people after a few mins..Im trying to report people who most likely affect game progress with negative attitude coz it really matters a lot. But can i ask you, ive noticed i que up a lot with people i have muted on normal games since i play a lot normals and wondering if we can have any improvements on how that que system with ignored people can work.
Anyways im happy to see this change about the reporting button, ive passed through the frustration stage in game too, ive had bad games roo but all i can say is: take a break, it really often helps, it is a game we all play afterall and wanna make it better. This change, will for sure contribute, Thank you Lyte.

GrowlyGuts

08-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by grybranix View Post
Frankly I would love to play games with someone who tells me when I'm in a stupid place or how I could have avoided dying

Instead of that I get ******* who want me to "stop talking" every game

This guy isn't part of the problem he's part of the solution

You know, I'd like to play on my own private PVP.NET server with NOBODY EXCEPT THE PEOPLE WHO GOT BANNED IN THIS ROUND OF BANS

man I would never rage again it would be ****ing glorious

but that will never happen because you're a ******
It must be easy to just assume it is always the rest of the world that is at fault in a given situation.

If there is someone who wants you to stop talking every game, you are the problem. There is no conspiracy amongst the rest of the community against you. You and your actions are the only commonality between all of your games.

Jorai

08-22-2012

PLEASE LYTE! TELL ME! Read my previous posts!!!! PLEASE!!!!

DarkRánger

08-22-2012

I understand if someone says "REPORTED, YOU FEEDER. YOU GONNA GET BANNED. UNINSTALL. I'LL DO IT FOR YOU AND GET YOU BANNED. REPORTED." Banning someone for that type of behavior is perfectly fine, however I would like to see as how someone whom does report toxic behavior (as you say they should) should be penalized for it.

What happens in a match is something you can't see. To you, one thing may seem as a simple joke, while the person whom reported/received the joke may see it as a verbal-attack.

And then, when someone is banned for reporting toxic behavior long before this "system" was put into place (let us say months ago), they are the ones still penalized? That seems foolish. Unless of course it was a petty report, which you say that everyone that got banned sent a petty report multiple times. I doubt that is the case at all.

I will post here what I wrote in another thread, asking you (or rather any Red) to send me an email (or you can just say it in a post. That's fine too, if you would be be so kind as to do this.

Quote:
I have not played a normal/ranked games regularly in a very long time. It's been months since, actually. I gave up on trying to find a nice environment in a game with nice people (especially in the ranked system). People forget themselves, people forget that the main point of this game is to have fun. They blame their own mistakes on others, and/or accentuate the mistakes of others and blame the rest of the game on them.

I use to take time to report. I use to a write long-detailed analysis of what had happened, but then I began to lose hope. I began to get harassed over and over, and I just stopped bothering to write something in the extra comments section when you report. I figured that if someone in the Tribunal doesn't ban him for the plain and clear action of what he did, my long-winded essays wouldn't help, either. I know for a fact that every one of those reports I sent in were not for my own gain, nor for my own appeasement. I know that they deserved those reports.

And when the harassment continued, I lost all hope. I literally just said to myself "**** it". From then and on, I continued to play custom games. Here and then i would play a normal game, just "refresh" myself if I ever wanted to go back to playing normally, but I did not play enough to find someone so insulting as to make me want to report them. I also know for a fact that I have reported anyone in a custom game for trolling/cheating/afk/harassing ever since I stopped playing regularly.

And alright, let's say I did abuse the system (which I didn't). Do you really think it's fair to ban me after such a long time?

I just would like a Red to tell me when was the most recent series/chain of reports, or just to tell me the specifics of my own personal case.

And before I get scolded by the community about reading a red-post, yes I know they have been posting and explaining what this means, but that's not what I'm asking for here. I'm asking for the specifics on my OWN CASE. Not what this means in general.
All I ask is that you provide me with specifics with my case. I'm not saying that this system is corrupt, I'm not saying all the bans were unjustified, all I ask is that the evidence used to ban me be showed TO me.