☆ A Guide To Tribunal: Trivia And Wisdom ☆

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JohnnyOmega

Senior Member

08-19-2012

SECTION INDEX


I. HOW PLAYERS GET BANNED OUTSIDE OF THE TRIBUNAL
II. LEAVER BUSTER
III. FUN FACTS ABOUT TRIBUNAL

IV. NOTABLE MYTHS ABOUT TRIBUNAL

V. MEMORABLE QUOTES


A Guide To Tribunal (Main Thread)

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2068259

I. WHAT IS TRIBUNAL?

II. WHAT IS THE SUMMONER'S CODE?
III. THE PROCESS
IV. I'M HAVING PROBLEMS RELATED WITH TRIBUNAL. HOW DO I CONTACT RIOT ABOUT THIS?
V. DISCUSSIONS OF INTEREST


A Guide To Tribunal: Judiciary Handbook

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2493793


I. I'VE HIT LEVEL 20. NOW WHAT?

II. WHAT AM I LOOKING AT?
III. THE TYPES OF VIOLATIONS THAT ARE REPORTED
IV. WHAT IS OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE? HOW CAN SUMMONER NAMES BE OFFENSIVE?
V. TIPS FOR JUDGING ON TRIBUNAL
VI. FIVE EXAMPLES OF BAN-WORTHY PLAYERS




I. HOW PLAYERS GET BANNED OUTSIDE OF THE TRIBUNAL

There are ways to get banned from the game without being reported to the Tribunal.

1. You may have gotten caught using an exploit in the game and cheating in a match. A large banning of many players has occurred because of this before.

2. Your credit card may have had some problems during a transaction, at which point the RP system in place has put your account on hold pending investigation. It is strongly suggested that you contact Riot Support about this and cooperate fully unless you were trying to steal RP from the system or using someone else's stolen credit (in which case you deserve the ban).

3. You may have caused real life trouble at a real life event such as a convention where Riot staffers are attending.

4. You may have gotten caught using an illegal modification of the game or hacking the system.

5. A Riot staffer that you gamed with is abusing his/her power. This is very unlikely but it has happened at least once before.

6. LeaverBuster - an automated system that bans chronic leavers and tracks and punishes players that go afk.

7. Abuse of the Refer-A-Friend program can possibly lead to suspensions and even permanent bans. http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2088377

8. Gross abuse of chat and forum privileges despite warnings to stop such behavior. (ex. posting links to pornographic websites)

9. Abuse of the report option through such toxic behavior as threatening and false reporting.




II. LEAVER BUSTER

Although this system is not a part of Tribunal, it is still a "sister" part of the punitive process in the game and is worth mentioning.

Leaver Buster is an automated system that Riot implemented to discourage players from leaving League of Legends matches.

Leaving the game before the match is over


Leaver Buster system will automatically kick players who stay 5 minutes idle.

Punishment: no XP/IP granted for the game the player left and a leave added to his profile.


If a game doesn't end (for example for server issues, or because every player left the match), no penalties are given out.

After receiving a certain number of leaves, which varies depending on the total number of games played and the distance in time between each leave, the player account gets first warned and then suspended for increasingly long periods of time, resulting in a permanent ban for re-iterated offenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
If you were AFK a long time during the game, or were disconnected a long time during the game, you could still get hit by leaverbuster as 'effectively' a leaver.

Here's a Red Quote to help if you're worried about your Leaver status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Ambassador View Post

As others have explained, the leaver penalty will decrease the more you play without disconnecting.

However, further disconnects could end up increasing your leaver penalty.

The obvious solution is to not drop out of games in the future. If you find that you're running out of time when playing Summoner's Rift, try playing a Dominion game, which usually only lasts around 20 minutes.

However, if you find you are disconnecting due to circumstances outside your control, such as network failure or game crashes, then I would recommend contacting one of our Tech Support Specialists so they can troubleshoot the issue that may be causing these problems.

You can reach them at: https://support.leagueoflegends.com/home

RoreBAWW
Riot Ambassador


III. FUN FACTS ABOUT TRIBUNAL


1. The required Summoner level was originally 30.

2. The number of cases per day was originally 10.

3. The minimum time required to look at a case was originally 30 seconds.

4. On Friday, May 25, 2012, 3:55, Riot released the following Tribunal metrics:
More than 47 million votes have been cast in the Tribunal.
51% of Tribunal cases result in a guilty verdict, with only 5.7% earning a permanent ban.
50% of players warned by the Tribunal just once never end up there again.
Over 700 individual cases were personally reviewed by Lyte and Pendragon.

5. Whenever a banned player complains about his/her sentence on the forums, the Riot staffer named Pendragon is well known for coming in and showing the forum viewers a glimpse into why the player got banned. It is popular to use the terms "Pendragon'd" or "Pendrakilled" to describe the state of discredit afflicted upon the complainer when this happens.

6. The worse a player's history of getting reported is, the more likely he/she is to appear in Tribunal for recent bad behavior. The worst offenders get the highest priority for judgement.

7. Every time a case is punished or pardoned, all reports currently on that case are removed from Tribunal viewing so when you see a case in Tribunal, the reports that you see do not necessarily include all of the reports that have been made on the accused. The Riot staff retain access to all past reports however.

8. The more accurate your judgment is on the Tribunal, the more weight your vote will carry in the system.

9. The Tribunal was originally designed by the Riot staffer known as Zileas.

10. Current and future Tribunal features are designed by the Riot staffer known as Lyte.

11. On June 20,2012, the first public Tribunal case was opened as a community experiment. Pendragon posted the case in General Discussion here.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2247912

12. The Tribunal design team has had MBAs, PhDs (in Psychology) and various mathematicians and statisticians contribute to the development of the Tribunal system.

13. When a player is "permanently suspended" or "perma-banned", the account is registered as suspended until a year in the far future. Dates in the 2100s are typically monetary transaction-related while dates in the 2200s are typically related to punishable behavior.

14. When a player is punished for "Offensive Name", that player's in-game name will be changed to "Emailsupport + (a number)". The player can then email Riot Support to have their name changed again.

15. On August 22, 2012, it was announced that players that abuse the report option by sending false reports will be punished. A number of suspensions were placed on player accounts guilty of this abuse.

16. In early August of 2012, it was publicly announced that a player with the summoner name Hosan had his account permanently suspended. What made this particular player infamous was that as part of Team EloHell, Hosan was about to take part in the EU Regional Final. As a result of the suspension, Hosan was also suspended from the tournament; denied the chance for a very substantial tournament prize. This sparked much discussion among players about the standards that even ranked professionals need to live up to.

http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=806358

http://www.videogamer.com/pc/league_...eu_finals.html



IV. NOTABLE MYTHS ABOUT TRIBUNAL

1. The Tribunal "Elite" - A group of players with special privileges in the Tribunal system. Although accuracy in voting will increase the system value of your votes, there has never been a program in League of Legends that gave any summoners more privileges than other Tribunal members (such as reading account suspension histories at will). Here is a thread in which this myth is debunked by Riot staff.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2151553

2. All the reports in a single match stack towards Tribunal. - Whether a match results in one report or nine reports, it still only counts as one match in getting priority viewing in Tribunal. Multiple reports can still help however if they compliment each other in the clarification of what the accused might have done. For example, if witnesses on both sides can corroborate seeing a player run repeatedly into a turret (intentional feeding or assisting enemy team). Witnesses on opposing sides can describe what they saw from their individual perspectives.

3. Tribunal can perma-ban you. - No. At most Tribunal can get you temporarily suspended. Riot staffers are assigned to handling cases that warrant perma-bans. The monetary transaction system safeguards can also put your account on hold in the case of a problem during the process of buying Riot Points.

4. People can just spam Punish in Tribunal without consequences. - There is a slight consequence. The more cases you get wrong, the less your vote counts in Tribunal. If you make a bad habit of clicking Punish or Pardon on cases that clearly deserve the opposite judgement, you could eventually have your votes count as close to zero or just zero.

5. Permabans are absolute and forever. - Not really. If you get permabanned, you can still send a ticket to Riot Support for an appeal or wait around a couple of hundred years to continue playing on the banned account.

6.Posting on the Tribunal forums can get you unbanned. - The forums are generally the wrong place to do that. Opening a ticket to Riot Support for a suspension appeal is the best way to go. In any case, seeking an appeal requires patience.

7. You can't get punished for being provoked into raging by another player. - You are expected to control yourself on the keyboard, especially since it is a keyboard and not your mouth. You will get punished if you rage in chat. If you respond by cutting off communication with your entire team altogether, that may actually work against you as that can be considered another form of raging.

8. Buying lots of Riot Points makes one less likely to be permanently suspended. - Riot Games will punish anyone who repeatedly breaks the rules regardless of how much they've spent, especially since a badly behaving player will more than likely drive away more money than he/she spends (other players buy RP too).

9. Anyone can get suspended because of a report from a recent game within the past few days. - It has been stated by Riot staff that Tribunal cases usually take weeks to resolve, so a recent punishment will be the result of an act of violation that most likely occurred more than a few days ago. Repeat offenders are possibly more likely to be prioritized for case resolution.

10. You can't defend yourself against punishments from Tribunal. - There are two very easy ways to defend yourself against punishment. One is to read this guide to understand what punishable behavior is (so you can avoid behaving the wrong way) and the other is to contact Riot Support to fix your record if you have been wrongfully punished (which is actually quite rare despite the number of complaints one sees on the forum).

11. Before the stealth rework, players that selected Evelynn in matches were more likely to be suspended. - According to an analysis by [Riot Game Designer] Lyte, although Eve players were more likely to be reported before the stealth rework, they were NOT more likely to be suspended and usually never reached the Tribunal.

12. LeaverBuster is the only system that handles AFK and Leavers so AFK/Leaver reports never reach the Tribunal. AFK/Leaver reports DO reach the Tribunal because both systems work to fill in each other's gaps and weaknesses.

Attachment 533073


V. MEMORABLE QUOTES

1. (closed thread) http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...45710#26145710

Pendragon: I sympathize, but you're the vast minority. If you can't enjoy the game without saying mean things to people, then perhaps it's time to move on. It's tough to say - and I'm sure it's tough to hear, but that's reality.


2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
When players look at the Tribunal forums and see complaints about their cases every week, they don't see the tens of thousands of players that receive cases and understand what they did wrong and don't make a fuss about it in a public forum.
3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Tribunal users tend to be more lenient than Riot staff--this has been shown time and time again in the data When designing and managing a system like the Tribunal, we have to use a common framework used in some academic fields called signal detection theory. What the heck am I talking about?

For any given case in the Tribunal, there are 4 possible outcomes:

Outcomes
1) A "Hit" -- The case was 'true' toxic and was punished by the Tribunal
2) A "Miss" -- The case was 'true' toxic and was pardoned by the Tribunal
3) A "False Positive" -- The case was 'true' innocent and was punished by the Tribunal
4) A "Correct Rejection" -- The case was 'true' innocent and was pardoned by the Tribunal

In a given system, we can choose to optimize along any of these outcomes but they interact with each other--if we focus on Outcome 1, we might lose some fidelity on Outcome 3. At Riot, Team Player Behavior & Justice has decided to focus on reducing the number of "false positives" because our core focus is to avoid banning or inconveniencing innocent players. All of our features and ban sweeps uphold this philosophy; however, a consequence of this philosophy is that we sometimes 'let go' players that may deserve punishment. The players we do punish though are highly likely to deserve it.

However, because the Tribunal is heavily based on frequency and probabilities, toxic players that are 'let go' often are sent back to the Tribunal fairly quickly and are promptly and correctly banned in follow-up visits to the Tribunal. This is why the Tribunal ultimately works, but also why we want to improve the efficiency and accuracy to make the system faster over time.

4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
This might be OK in other games, but it's not OK here. I have no problems escalating people's bans if they refuse to improve their behaviors.
5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Actually, this is the unfortunate problem. Allowing permanently banned players another chance is an extremely damaging cost. Do you know what the success rate of the Level 20 Challenge was? 5%. Do you know that for each person, they clearly outlined the toxic behaviors and had 1 on 1 conversations with the players to try to improve their behavior? These are players that were hand-picked by Player Support staff because they felt the pleas from these players were genuine. The success rate was still 5%.

Do you know how many games on average these players played? 100 games / month. When a permanently banned player fails to reform, they are creating miserable experiences for hundreds, maybe thousands of players a month. That's not a cheap cost or a low risk and I cannot consciously justify that.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JohnnyOmega

Senior Member

08-19-2012

[reserved]


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JohnnyOmega

Senior Member

08-19-2012

[reserved]


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Artificiose

Junior Member

08-19-2012

Leaver Buster =/= queue dodging. They are completely separate systems.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JohnnyOmega

Senior Member

08-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificiose View Post
Leaver Buster =/= queue dodging. They are completely separate systems.
The information in the LeaverBuster section sans the quote is copy/pasted from the wiki. I'll check to see what's wrong there if what you say here is correct.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Artificiose

Junior Member

08-19-2012

Here is a quote to make it easier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotKiddington View Post
Queue dodge and LeaverBuster are not related. They belong to different systems and designed for different purpose.
yeah, wiki looks wrong. Second half is ok, but the queue dodge stuff is wrong


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JohnnyOmega

Senior Member

08-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificiose View Post
Here is a quote to make it easier

yeah, wiki looks wrong. Second half is ok, but the queue dodge stuff is wrong
Thanks. The troublesome first half has been removed from the original post.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AlexDnD2

Senior Member

08-19-2012

Wow why are you getting down votes? This community is dumb.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ReaperOfBodom

Member

01-14-2013

Hey! I read your entire your post. Thanks for the information. Now I really feel more secure about all of this. I mean... I was wondering if my votes on the tribunal were realy making a difference. Now, I think it does. And I don't know how you know all this informations, but I find it pretty interesting. Thanks for sharing it with us, I appreciate.