Help with playing Shaco

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tiss

11-14-2009

I've played the game for a couple of days now, really liking it and I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of it, but I have some problems with playing Shaco.

When first played as him I thought that he was awesome, I liked his skills and I liked the feel of the champ overall. But I got my ass handed to me.

I really didn't know what to do with him most of the time and I used my skills very poorly, but now I'm starting to get the hang of him and I'm winning almost all of my games and not dying much or at all. But still, I feel as though I'm not using the skills to their full potential.

Everyone is always saying Shaco is good with mindgames and I can see the potential in him for that stuff, but I just can't make that good use of Jack in the Box and his ult in that regard and I'm just basically playing him very carefully and defensively and ganking with teammates and slowing and getting kills/assists that way.

So long story short, I was wondering if anybody could just give me some general tips to using his skills, and the mindset of his playstyle and some item tips or something. I just don't want to give up on the champ, he just is so cool and I really would like to learn to play him more efficiently.

Thanks in advance and sorry if there's any typos.

Jazzminkey

11-14-2009

Don't.

He just got the nerf bat HARD. He's hardly worth playing anymore unless you are on the 3v3.

Tiss

11-14-2009

Hmm, I wouldn't want to stop playing him just because of a nerf. :P

Has they're been any word of him being buffed/changed in an upcoming patch?

Jazzminkey

11-14-2009

Basically just use his Q as an escape mechanism and when you need to sneak up on people

W is for EZ mode jungling and laying behind enemies before you ambush them. They start to run and get tripped up by the box.

E is a skill I only get +1 in until the end. It slows OK and is an alright finishing move for people out of range.

R: I never really use this one effectively. I pop it in team fights, to push towers, and for larger jungle creeps. The clone can be controlled by holding ALT. He is good to suicide on people as he does damage when he explodes.

Tiss

11-14-2009

Yeah I kinda would like to know to use especially W and R in some more unortodox ways, but I guess there are some things you just can't teach. :P

But yeah I use the R pretty much exactly as you described it. ^^

I build his skills pretty much the same except some times I take +1 in W at the start and then max Q, E and R ASAP.

Thanks for all of your advice, I really appriciate it. ^^

TheSacrifice

11-14-2009

When I play Shaco I build towards items which help out both Shaco and the clone. I'm heavily dependent on the clone. I normally go:

Bloodrazor
Zerker's
Bloodrazor
Malady

It's an expensive build and hard to get quickly thanks to Shaco's bad farming/lack of AoE. But it's powerful and it takes proper advantage of the clone doubling your items. With this you're effectively running 4 Bloodrazors with your clone out, and the Malady not only charges fast but allows your clone to deal an unreduced amount of damage in yet another aspect.

Tiss

11-14-2009

Hmm, that's a really cool build, didn't even think about that. I'll have to try it out.

Do you use the clone as just extra dps when it's up or do you use it as a bait/decoy or do you just use it for the AoE? Or just depending on the situation?

Summoner X

11-14-2009

Ive played around 60 matches with shaco and have over 50% wins.

the boxes are good early game but arnt to great late game if you dont go ability power. Normally before creeps spawn I put two right outside the bushes near there tower, ill then run in their grass and if they are there the boxes will automaticly triger, and with a good exhust and a backstab uve got a kill.

With his ult you always wanna mixup wich one you send in first, te keep them guessing, you can use the fake to tower dive to kill weak enemies. If your in the grass you can mirror image, send in the fake and alot of times the'll waste some mana on it. If your fighting near the grasss and (r) you can weave in and out of it to mix them up with targeting. same when running in the forest.

I read on another post earlier this month, a cool tip with q. you act like your going to recall then last second q and if there not looking for it they might think you backed.

With my mastery I normally get alot of mana and health/mana regeneration i also spec ability cooldown reduction, and with my build by early late game I get my decieve cooldown to 6 seconds.

Thought of another box tip, when your weak on health and near your tower you can run up (normally towrds the grass a little assuming they are there) then run back towards your tower laying down a box. they then chase get feared and with exhust you can get the tower to hit them 2-3 times.

also read the guide by the heritic its on this forum page, it will help with mind games.

TheSacrifice

11-14-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiss View Post
Hmm, that's a really cool build, didn't even think about that. I'll have to try it out.

Do you use the clone as just extra dps when it's up or do you use it as a bait/decoy or do you just use it for the AoE? Or just depending on the situation?
I'm assuming this was put out to me? I use it for all of it, really. It's best when they find the real me as I get to use the clone's Bloodrazors longer. As far as I can tell, they aren't reduced in damage. If they do find the clone first, then I get the damage burst. As far as decoy goes? Yeah. I summon it up when I have difficulties defending my tower early game and send it into enemy creep waves to soften them up. Sometimes I'll make it look like me (control it for a bit, try to keep it "safe") and then have it make a "noob" decision and run at the opponent.

Tiss

11-14-2009

Thanks for the input man, I'm gonna try the Box/Exhaust early First Blood tip and I didn't know that Recall thing, that's nice. ^^

I'll check the guide too.

Thanks a bunch.