Creative Design AMA - Shyvana, the Half-Dragon

First Riot Post
1234567 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Elithik

08-01-2012

Hi RiotRunaan. It's nice to see you opening an AMA. Have fun with it! Now for questions...

-How different are dragons from humans tempermently, emotionally, and society wise in the LoL universe? Depending on how different they are from one another does Shyvanna have two conflicting sets of ideals/emotional responses to things/reactions/behaviors or are the dragon and human natures combined into one unique personality?
-Does Shyvanna think she is better than humans?
-Is the want to avenge a family member normal for dragons or does she do this because of her human side? I ask this because I have next to no idea what LoL universe dragons are like.
-In her new lore it says Shyvanna is feared by men and she worries that they are right to fear her. Is she prone to anger outbursts? Maybe because of her rough past she is more easiler alarmed and reacts more harshly?
-Does Shyvanna want to fit in with the humans or is she content to have just a place to call home (the whole home isn't where you are but who you're with)? Does she want a "home" of people, too?

I hope this is okay that I asked so much, it's just that Shyvanna's one of my favorite champions. I hope you can find the time to answe my questions!

retched

08-01-2012

We're only a polymerization away from Jarvan the Dragon Champion =P

Liath

08-01-2012

census map of Runeterra plz (incomplete is OK, I just want a big ol' map with groups of people on it!)

RiotRunaan

Associate Creative Designer

08-01-2012
2 of 6 Riot Posts

Quote:
Is a love interest in Jarvan totally canon? :3
At the moment, Shyvana and Jarvan share a mutual respect of each other. Shyvana considers him a trusted friend.

Quote:
How does Shy feel about the other "Shapeshifters"?

is the magic used to change similar to her crazy dragon blood powers?
Shyvana's transformation is inherent to her blood and less overtly magical than, say, Swain's transformation. The way I've imagined it, it's based more on her emotional state than activating any kind of spell--it is easiest for her to maintain her dragon form when she's angry. At least, that's the only way she knows how to maintain the form for now.

Quote:
Here's one. How would Shyvana feel towards the following champions: Irelia, Anivia, Graves and Riven?
And as a bonus champ, Udyr because of that primal rage. You don't have to answer all of the champs, but I am curious about at least one or two of them. Thank you.
Hmm. Interesting choices!

I don't think she has strong feelings about Irelia, Graves, or Riven; they're pretty far removed from her. Personally, I think Shyvana would see Graves as an easy kill with a bonus gun-shaped toothpick on the side (not that Graves would ever stand for this). Shyvana hasn't had a lot of interaction with Ionians, but I think she'd be fascinated with their quest for inner peace and balance, as it's something she wrestles with herself.

If she were to encounter Udyr, though, I think they might find themselves kindred spirits.

Quote:
Does she hang out with Galio and get tips on dealing with those fragile little humans?
Both exist slightly outside the realm of normal Demacian existence, certainly. Shyvana faces a lot of distrust and scorn from her peers--perhaps Galio's wisdom and guidance has a certain calming effect on her when she's angry.

Quote:
Do we know anything about Shyvana's mother?
Shyvana's mother died when she was very young. She doesn't know anything about her.

Quote:
So, I would like to know more about this dragonkind spoken about in her lore. Specifically, how many, what kind of species, habitats? It's all very interesting.
We want to develop dragons in our lore, but this isn't a place I can really delve too deeply into them, sadly. Shyvana herself doesn't know much about dragons beyond what she learned from her father (dragons are dangerous, territorial, powerful creatures who look down on humans a great deal).

Quote:
This lore doesn't tell us anything about her abilities, merely that she is strong. I find it hard to believe that this was accidentally left out, so I suppose you guys chose to leave this info out intentionally. Why is this? I believe there should be some sort of explanation or elaboration besides "She's a half-dragon" as to why/how she shifts from humanoid into a full on dragon....and how her armor shifts to fit. :X
TL;DR: Why is there no lore explanation for her abilities besides "She's a half-dragon"?
Good question! Shyvana has natural fire-based abilities (even in human form) because of her dragon blood, but much of Shyvana's power, especially her transformation, rely on her emotional state. Her father taught her to channel the anger and resentment she felt for the persecution she faced every day into tool to fight back against other dragons--namely, the ability to transform and match their strength. Through her fury she can maintain the transformation.

Because of this, Shyvana has become largely reliant on anger to remain a force to be reckoned with, but anger is all she's really ever known--perhaps there's another way?

Quote:
I know it's only a throwaway line, but why is it that the new backgrounds no longer give a definite explanation for why the character joined the League?
We're moving away from defining why our characters join the League, because it often feels like a throwaway line, as you mentioned, or a venture into an entirely separate story we can't encapsulate well in a bio's short length. Kitae has gone into more detail about this shift in focus over here in this thread!

Melancholy Exile

08-01-2012

That's rather disappointing.

Shyvana's previous background only gave a throwaway line, as I stated, but it was completely satisfactory. While I understand that her new background has moved away from her being defined by combat, the final few lines of her previous bio served very well to reinforce her loyalty to Jarvan and her Demacian sympathies. Wouldn't a line that had her swearing to represent her city well, and brought a little more of her self-confidence to the fore, have really been a very easy addition?

I understand your reasoning here, to an extent, but both Zyra and Diana's backgrounds felt like they really needed an anchor to draw them to the League, rather than simply leaving it to the imagination. You can do so much for the character if you give them a strong sense of direction in the world the game actually shows us. It's one of the many reasons I felt this game's lore, until recently, was considerably better than that in DotA 2. Isn't cementing their reason for joining the League a very important part of the character's motivation and a great way to get their core aspects across?

Dreampod

08-01-2012

How did the original bio get released?

As I noted at the time, it suffered from a fate worse than being bad but was actually generically boring. The new lore is a vast improvement but why did it come out now instead of 10 months ago?

Dreampod

08-01-2012

For a slightly different question:

Shyvana is a lean, 4-limbed, long-tailed creature with a front heavy physique that is reminiscent of a vulture while The Dragon is a tubby, 6-limbed lizard with a back heavy T-Rex style physique.

Why does Shyvana's Dragon Form have minimal resemblance to The Dragon? Is it a case of The Dragon being a generic holdover from the beginning of the game and Shy is more representative of dragons in LoL or is her half-blood status sort-of a mutant thing?

Longsworder

08-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotRunaan View Post
Because of this, Shyvana has become largely reliant on anger to remain a force to be reckoned with, but anger is all she's really ever known--perhaps there's another way?
My god, she's Prince Zuko. Clearly, she needs to go dance with two dragons to learn another way.

Anywho, onto questions.

What's her opinion of Nidalee, what with them both being able to change forms through the interplay of their human form and their upbringing?

What does she think of Warwick's curse, with his being stuck in a bestial form?

Does she have any opinion on Ahri and Zyra, what with their being moved into a human form?

And, on a less serious note, does she have any particularly animosity towards Lulu for being able to turn her from a mighty dragon into a lowly squirrel on the Fields of Justice?

ChaosBloodterfly

08-01-2012

How is a Dragon/human hybrid possible? The physical logistics are ~.~

Dreampod

08-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melancholy Exile View Post
That's rather disappointing.

Shyvana's previous background only gave a throwaway line, as I stated, but it was completely satisfactory. While I understand that her new background has moved away from her being defined by combat, the final few lines of her previous bio served very well to reinforce her loyalty to Jarvan and her Demacian sympathies. Wouldn't a line that had her swearing to represent her city well, and brought a little more of her self-confidence to the fore, have really been a very easy addition?

I understand your reasoning here, to an extent, but both Zyra and Diana's backgrounds felt like they really needed an anchor to draw them to the League, rather than simply leaving it to the imagination. You can do so much for the character if you give them a strong sense of direction in the world the game actually shows us. It's one of the many reasons I felt this game's lore, until recently, was considerably better than that in DotA 2. Isn't cementing their reason for joining the League a very important part of the character's motivation and a great way to get their core aspects across?
They actually addressed that they wanted to move away from the mandatory 'here is why they joined the league' thing in champion lores because it was limiting and often a unnecessary distraction from what is important about the character.

1234567 ... 10