A day in the life of a Riot employee?

First Riot Post
12345612 ... 42
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Slogra

07-24-2012

From what I can tell from pics/vids, they are a jeans-and-shirt kind of group.
Except Phreak. You always see him sitting down, never with any waste-down shots. SUSPICIOUS.

Th3 Herbalist

07-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrecklich View Post
Phreak probably just dances in the breakroom all day.
If there even IS a break room.

I want to go on a tour.

TheCakeShop

07-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jippleswutwut View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d4Rt...eature=related

they already made the day in the life video
This makes me LMAO ... so good.

Th3 Herbalist

07-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCakeShop View Post
This makes me LMAO ... so good.
The thing is that video describes the players more than it does for Riot. Hahaha

Griftrix

Senior Animation Engineer

07-24-2012
1 of 77 Riot Posts

Hi. It is definitely a casual dress work environment. Jeans and T shirts are the norm. Some people dress up a little more and that is totally cool as well.

My typical day starts with a bowl a cereal while watching some live games on the spectator mode monitors. Then I get a cup of coffee and get to checking emails and starting my programmin day and greeting people as they come in. I listen to the animators talk about the cool stuff they're doing and make sure that if they have any tech needs they are on our radar so we can support them in time. At 11:30 my team meets up and we go over the done and upcoming tasks in about 15 min.

After that I get back to my coding and then go to lunch, usually with other office people. I try to change it up so I get to know everyone. For lunch we either walk to the food court next door, go to the food trucks, or maybe walk to burgers or something. Rarely we use a car to get lunch, but if we do, it's taco day. Some people (starting to be me a couple times a week) go to the gym that is just next door to get a quick workout in during lunch.

After lunch it's more typical developer stuff and sometimes a meeting with more engineers to talk about overall goals and development practices. Sometimes it's a meeting with designers about upcoming champions and what tech they might need. Every now and then we go on coffee runs downstairs at the coffee shop if we want something fancy, like an iced mocha.

Around the end of the day, people start prairie dogging up over their desks (It's ok for me to use this word, because I'm Texan) to look for people for live games. Others go to the Korean internet cafe we have on the 3rd floor to play with all the PCs there. It's really hard to go home because I like what I do so much, and even if I'm not programming, it's fun to hang out and play games.

I hope that helps!

Syclicient

07-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griftrix View Post
Hi. It is defiantly a casual dress work environment. Jeans and T shirts are the norm. Some people dress up a little more and that is totally cool as well.

My typical day starts with a bowl a cereal while watching some live games on the spectator mode monitors. Then I get a cup of coffee and get to checking emails and starting my programmin day and greeting people as they come in. I listen to the animators talk about the cool stuff they're doing and make sure that if they have any tech needs they are on our radar so we can support them in time. At 11:30 my team meets up and we go over the done and upcoming tasks in about 15 min.

After that I get back to my coding and then go to lunch, usually with other office people. I try to change it up so I get to know everyone. For lunch we either walk to the food court next door, go to the food trucks, or maybe walk to burgers or something. Rarely we use a car to get lunch, but if we do, it's taco day. Some people (starting to be me a couple times a week) go to the gym that is just next door to get a quick workout in during lunch.

After lunch it's more typical developer stuff and sometimes a meeting with more engineers to talk about overall goals and development practices. Sometimes it's a meeting with designers about upcoming champions and what tech they might need. Every now and then we go on coffee runs downstairs at the coffee shop if we want something fancy, like an iced mocha.

Around the end of the day, people start prairie dogging up over their desks (It's ok for me to use this word, because I'm Texan) to look for people for live games. Others go to the Korean internet cafe we have on the 3rd floor to play with all the PCs there. It's really hard to go home because I like what I do so much, and even if I'm not programming, it's fun to hang out and play games.

I hope that helps!
Sounds fun... Does anyone there play normal pvp instead of ranked?

NitroNatalie

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-24-2012

Quote:
Hi. It is defiantly a casual dress work environment. Jeans and T shirts are the norm. Some people dress up a little more and that is totally cool as well.
My job isn't nearly as cool as yours, but we're casual dress as well, and I love being able to get ready in under an hour everyday. We had one developer that would wear a suit everyday, and we made fun of him constantly. I guess casual dress was almost mandatory in that sense. Unless, you know, you enjoy being harassed every day

CommandShockwave

07-24-2012

Quote:

I hope that helps!
So what you're saying is that you have the best job in the universe and 90% of the teens of the playerbase aspire to do what you do?

Kuroneko The Cat

07-24-2012

Quote:
people start prairie dogging up over their desks (It's ok for me to use this word, because I'm Texan)
I was going to be offended, but you said you were Texan, so it's okay.

Soft Aunt Hugs

07-24-2012

Quote:

I hope that helps!
How long does a work day usually last?

It sounds like there isn't a lot of working being done (not that I have anything wrong with that)

12345612 ... 42