The meaning of "kill stealing"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

cptnofdacoolkids

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-16-2012

There's always a fine line between kill stealing and knowing when to get the kill. Now, if you do something like use Warwick's Q on a nearly dead champ just to get a kill, then that's killstealing and I would very well call you on it, especially if I'm a carry. But if you're an AP mid and you and the carry are working together to get a kill, you should back off and let the carry get the kill. They always need the gold more than you do. Unfortunately most people in blind don't understand this train of logic so I always play draft.

EzraTwitch

07-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkworld777 View Post
There's always a fine line between kill stealing and knowing when to get the kill. Now, if you do something like use Warwick's Q on a nearly dead champ just to get a kill, then that's killstealing and I would very well call you on it, especially if I'm a carry. But if you're an AP mid and you and the carry are working together to get a kill, you should back off and let the carry get the kill. They always need the gold more than you do. Unfortunately most people in blind don't understand this train of logic so I always play draft.
There is no line

KS=Kill Secure.

even your example is stupid because its a 4 minion gold differential. And every time you back off someone their is a chance that your kill/assist gold becomes 0 gold. If they aren't dead, try and kill them PERIOD.

Watch High level games, They literally DO NOT GIVE A FU.CK about "Kill Stealing" because once you get to that level of play abilities are being focused fired so rapidly that a moments hesitation because someone is trying not to KS can cost them a fight which by extension might cost them the match.

If you whine about kill stealing your dumb.

/discussion.

MoreMedz

07-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzraTwitch View Post
There is no line

KS=Kill Secure.

even your example is stupid because its a 4 minion gold differential. And every time you back off someone their is a chance that your kill/assist gold becomes 0 gold. If they aren't dead, try and kill them PERIOD.

Watch High level games, They literally DO NOT GIVE A FU.CK about "Kill Stealing" because once you get to that level of play abilities are being focused fired so rapidly that a moments hesitation because someone is trying not to KS can cost them a fight which by extension might cost them the match.

If you whine about kill stealing your dumb.

/discussion.

To be fair, I think the beef is not with people killing an enemy in the course of an engagement, but rather the attitude of wanting to get the kill specifically.

So if someone is intentionally not using their ability because they want to wait to score the kill, that the few seconds delay could result in a teammate dying, a comeback by the enemy or reinforcement by the enemy team.

I am sure people have experienced this before.

onguàrd

07-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTore118 View Post
I am relatively new still, and play pretty excusively against bots for now. With that said, often see teammates post in chat about kill stealing and people get really angry...

My question is two fold. First off, what constitues a kill steal? To me I feel like a teammate standing in the brush not helping in bot lane only to jump out and kill an ignited champ with 10 health left is a "kill steal". Other than that I'm sick of people complaining about it when the guy accused (occasionally but not usually me) is just doing more damage, timing things right, getting lucky, etc. as in normal team play.

My second question...who the hell cares??? If it's a team game and a teammate gets a kill and you get an assist isn't that good enough? Aside from the previously mentioned case where it is meant to be annoying or bad team play, is it really somehting I need to make sure I don't do ACCIDENTALLY? If I am tanking am I SUPPOSED to let my AD carry get the kill so he can feed even when it might result in the enemy getting away?

I am just a little confused and frustrated because I don't know if people are really just as petty as they seem, only wanting to pad their own stats, or if it's something thats seriously important. Bottom line I have no problem wearing down an enemy so a teammate can get a kill, but I will pretty much always go for a kill if I think I can get it unless a teammate is 100% assured of it already. Is that so wrong?
It's like this:

If me and an enemy are out by ourselves and I'm clearly going to kill him, then one of my team swoops in and lays out their abilities and gets the kill that's kill stealing. This is also the only time anyone should get upset because beyond reasonable doubt that person just wanted the kill, had no intention of saving you, etc. Still, don't bother raging because it will just cause whatever noob who relies on feeding off your work to probably insult you then go AFK.

Pretty much any other time, the person is just inexperianced and dosen't know what KSing really means. Either way, it's kill and assist gold for your team--which is always better than the enemy recieving something. So take the good with the bad and hope you don't queue with people who are self centered and ignorant next time.

onguàrd

07-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezratwitch View Post

if you whine about kill stealing your dumb.

/discussion.
smh

HaShedon

07-17-2012

4/5 times I try to avoid "ksing," the guy gets away. And half of those times, it's apparently all my fault, even though the guy I avoided ksing just whined about it 5 minutes ago.
I sometimes wonder which is better to do, though. A happy teammate is going to do better and make more of an effort to help you out than one who's pissed off, and forcing someone to go back to base can be nearly as useful, though only really earlier on.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

07-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ongurd View Post
smh
*gasp* Someone made a typo/grammatical error. THE WORLD IS GOING TO END.

I'm sure you've _never_ made a mistake and used the incorrect homophone. Seriously, grow up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMedz View Post
To be fair, I think the beef is not with people killing an enemy in the course of an engagement, but rather the attitude of wanting to get the kill specifically.

So if someone is intentionally not using their ability because they want to wait to score the kill, that the few seconds delay could result in a teammate dying, a comeback by the enemy or reinforcement by the enemy team.

I am sure people have experienced this before.
That's not what people talking about kill steals are complaining about though, they're sad their kill count didn't go up.

The problem is that this is completely situational. If I'm Veigar, I don't blow my ultimate to start the fight against a beef, I only want to use that if I need it to finish him off. Garen's ultimate isn't something that _can_ be used early in the fight and still have any effect. If I'm low on health or mana, especially if I'm in a brush, I don't want to blow my mana or reveal myself when I can't make an immediate impact in that fight.

The point is, if someone is doing stupid things that hurt their team, they're doing stupid things that hurt their team. Complaining about killstealing is a really bad habit to get into though.

abchiptop

07-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vek17 View Post
Random note on "kill stealing", there are 2 Champions who should attempt to kill steal as much as possible in teamfights and they are AP Yi and Katarina (This is because they get a cooldown refresh from kills allowing them to do significantly more damage in a fight)... other then that kill stealing isn't really a thing
AP Trist also will throw her hat into that ring

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

07-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by abchiptop View Post
AP Trist also will throw her hat into that ring
AP Trist is a gimmick that... really doesn't work.

abchiptop

07-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerfaust View Post
AP Trist is a gimmick that... really doesn't work.
She's a one trick pony, but no more than AP Yi is.
Great for pubstomping, not effective at really anything else.
She works, just not very effective. Like an AD Sona or Soraka. There are more optimal ways to build, but against bad or unsuspecting players, it can be quite the interesting shock for them.