Proving Grounds Playable on Live!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zielmann

06-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrycox42 View Post
Well, that's pretty well thought out, and sounds reasonable, but... All I know is I went into my first game knowing about all of the changes and thinking it would still feel like ARAM. Then as the match went on, more and more all I could think was "this **** is ARAB."

Honestly though, I think I could get over everything else except for one thing: the bushes. I see your other post that says the bushes help the melee, but that counters some of the things that I love about ARAM. How melee are at a disadvantage early, but if you play smart or have the right team, they win you the game.

Maybe it seems silly to you, but the bushes are a dealbreaker for me. Unless people reach a consensus that bushes aren't allowed in this new hybrid mode, I will not play it
I agree with you that the brush does change the feel a bit, but like I said, it just makes it a bit more balanced than ARAM ever was. You don't have to hate your life in the early part of the game if you get Udyr, Skarner, or Trynd, for example. Let's face it: you will get these champs from time to time. This just makes it more bearable. And ranged still dominates this version of ARAM, and melee still feels a bit weaker.

Sadly, it would be very difficult to enforce a 'no brush' rule on the map. As I said, play it a few more times yet before swearing it off entirely. After accepting a few of the inherent differences with it, I really got to enjoying it. I won't say I feel like the map is perfect, but it is pretty darn good.

Perrycox42

06-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNome View Post
Yeah, melee was the reason we added the brush. Since the map will likely be played predominantly with All Random, it'd be irresponsible for us to design it in a fashion that made melee champions unfun to play for a good chunk of the game.
And in doing so, you made the map unfun for people like me, who know that the early game disadvantage is part of the experience playing a melee. Maybe I'm in the (Even vast) minority, but I usually have fun playing melee. Even from the beginning.

I'm not expecting anything to change just because I say I don't like it. It would be completely unreasonable to expect that. If you tried to please everyone, you wouldn't be able to do anything. But I know I'm not the only one who's having these thoughts. Everyone on my team in the game I played agreed with me (And before anyone says anything, we won the game. Pretty much destroyed them. This wasn't QQ because we were losing/lost). I figured someone should say it, so it's at least in the back of your minds.

Phille Bot

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

06-29-2012

Please allow adjustable experience/gold per time in this map as well as other customizable options such as having health relics around certain areas.

Hawkeye

06-29-2012

Is Barrier intended to be so good that it is almost mandatory? Because after playing Proving Grounds on PBE, it quickly got to the point where all 10 players in a match were using it.

Right now, Barrier is to Proving Grounds what Heal is to ARAM on Summoner's Rift. You're at a disadvantage if you don't take it. To me this is disappointing, because one thing I enjoy about ARAB is that you can effectively use a wider variety of summoner spells.

But there is no reason NOT to use Barrier. It shields for more than heal, and yet has the second shortest cooldown of all summoner spells (behind only smite). It's not affected by the Proving Grounds aura or healing reduction, and the short cooldown means that it will be ready almost every time you are in danger of dying.

I read somewhere that Barrier was intended to help melee champions engage without being poked to death. But it doesn't really serve that purpose if everyone is using it.

Mr Rusty Zipper

06-29-2012

wish they would allow you to play with bots on it though :<

LastProtagonist

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-29-2012

Thank you, thank you, thankyouthankyouthankyou.

=)

George W Nome

Game Designer

06-29-2012
9 of 16 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Is Barrier intended to be so good that it is almost mandatory? Because after playing Proving Grounds on PBE, it quickly got to the point where all 10 players in a match were using it.

Right now, Barrier is to Proving Grounds what Heal is to ARAM on Summoner's Rift. You're at a disadvantage if you don't take it. To me this is disappointing, because one thing I enjoy about ARAB is that you can effectively use a wider variety of summoner spells.

But there is no reason NOT to use Barrier. It shields for more than heal, and yet has the second shortest cooldown of all summoner spells (behind only smite). It's not affected by the Proving Grounds aura or healing reduction, and the short cooldown means that it will be ready almost every time you are in danger of dying.

I read somewhere that Barrier was intended to help melee champions engage without being poked to death. But it doesn't really serve that purpose if everyone is using it.
It's not, and will probably be getting some nerfs.

Brackhar

Features Designer

06-29-2012
10 of 16 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post

Well, understand it's a new summoner spell so I'm sure a lot of people are picking it to just try it out. That being said no, it's not intended to be mandatory, and we'll be evaluating its balance impact as more games get played.

crowsntacos

06-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNome View Post
You reach a full build on ARAB very quickly. You do not on PG, and you probably will not in most games.
AD carries are extremely important on PG for pushing. They are strong on ARAB for the end game, but not for pushing.
Most bruisers are fairly weak on ARAM. They dominate most of ARAB. They're middle ground on PG.
Poking reigns supreme on ARAM, but is barely a consideration on ARAB. It's strong on PG, but falls off halfway fairly quickly.
I'd argue poking falls off halfway if your team learns from their mistakes and starts actually dodging the projectiles. That doesn't happen though, statistically

crowsntacos

06-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackhar View Post
Well, understand it's a new summoner spell so I'm sure a lot of people are picking it to just try it out. That being said no, it's not intended to be mandatory, and we'll be evaluating its balance impact as more games get played.
I'd also like to say though barrier's cooldown is pretty short, it is also a single person shield; heal heals for yourself +allies, making it more self burst-ally sustain kind of thing. I'd say nerf the cooldown but not as much as heal. Just my two cents.