Proving Grounds Playable on Live!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Perrycox42

06-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNome View Post
It's a mix of both. If you're an ARAM player, you're going to think it's got more in common with ARAB. Vice-versa if you're an ARAB player.

A lot of the global mechanics are similar to ARAB, but the team dynamic is much closer to ARAM.
Could you explain that? Because I'm not seeing it.

I'll admit, I haven't played much ARAB (Because I don't like it), but the match on Proving Grounds I just played exactly like ARAB games I played, except for the fact that people weren't trying to fend people off of the Dominion turrets, since, well, they weren't there

CornerPocket

06-29-2012

I'm sure many people have already said this, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make this into a matchmade option. Only because there needs to be a leaver penalty for anyone who leaves during champion select. It's the only thing that makes any All-Random games hard to play.

LOG3

06-29-2012

I TOTALLY love you guys... I was playing ARAM for the past 2 months... mainly because I stepped down from competitive 5v5 and am out of practice.

I don't care if its a mix of both modes; it just plays nice... I can't tell you guys how much I appreciate that

also: this thunderdome is a ******* EPIC idea... whoever invented that THUMBS UP

(PS: Have you noticed how easy it is now to find ARAM (yes I just stick with that name for the map) games now? Just sort by mapname... )

Snoop Nome

Game Designer

06-29-2012
7 of 16 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrycox42 View Post

I'll admit, I haven't played much ARAB (Because I don't like it), but the match on Proving Grounds I just played exactly like ARAB games I played, except for the fact that people weren't trying to fend people off of the Dominion turrets, since, well, they weren't there
You reach a full build on ARAB very quickly. You do not on PG, and you probably will not in most games.
AD carries are extremely important on PG for pushing. They are strong on ARAB for the end game, but not for pushing.
Most bruisers are fairly weak on ARAM. They dominate most of ARAB. They're middle ground on PG.
Poking reigns supreme on ARAM, but is barely a consideration on ARAB. It's strong on PG, but falls off halfway fairly quickly.

Zielmann

06-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrycox42 View Post

Let me jump in on this and try to explain a few things, and why at it's core, PG is ARAM, and not ARAB. I have spent a LOT of time on the PBE the last couple weeks playing ARAMs on the PG (Deathbridge, if you will), and have loved it.

The only reason people are likening it to ARAB is because you start level 3 with the bonus gold, and there is a global xp gain on the map. But this is where the similarities stop.

The whole point of ARAB is stalling/stagnating the game when you have the advantage. This is one of the biggest problems/flaws with ARAB. The other issue with ARAB is that the spawn timers favor the losing team so incredibly heavily that often times, getting out to a very early, large lead can lose you the game. It becomes a battle of tanky DPS, because tanky DPS is better at defending/holding a specific point than hard carries (they die too fast).

What makes an ARAM and ARAM is the towers, rather than capture points. The towers mean you need to win a fight with enough people alive to actually push down the towers to progress toward your objective. This is a very different objective than you have in ARAB. It means you need to play aggressive, but cautiously aggressive. Poke is very good on this map, and hard carries play an important role here.

All they did was take the somewhat boring early levels of ARAM and speed them up a bit. The games tend to last around 20 minutes, and 15-16 minute games aren't uncommon. This makes it actually quite different than both ARAM and ARAB, because those can tend to drag on for a long time. Also note that the global xp gain is modified a bit from what you get on Dominion, so you do level a bit slower on this one.

As an avid ARAM player, I will admit that I approached the more ARAB-like features with some skepticism. But after playing it for a while, the feel of the ARAM is definitely there, moreso than ARAB. Give it a chance for a while. I think you'll find the pacing to be pretty good. And the same champs that are very strong on ARAM are still strong on PG, whereas ARAB kinda has a different set of champs that dominate.

EdoSk

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-29-2012

i think that we should start at lvl 1 like summoner riff cuz are many champions who are so unfair starting at lvl 3 and that make the game so bad for a random match (like support champions and assasins who can kill anyone at lvl 3)

Jixson

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-29-2012

Played it on Beta server a bit, but just finished my first live match.

Was awesome. Got Xerath, and helped my team dominate. I had to jump into the fountain at one point so I could actually buy. Stacked gp10's and fought a Veigar and survived.

Zielmann

06-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdoSk View Post
i think that we should start at lvl 1 like summoner riff cuz are many champions who are so unfair starting at lvl 3 and that make the game so bad for a random match (like support champions and assasins who can kill anyone at lvl 3)
Trust me, it is actually a bit more balanced to let everybody start at 3 rather than 1. Level 1 is extremely boring for people who aren't ranged, or who don't have a ranged spell, on SR ARAMs. The brush is also there on PG to help out the melee champions a bit, because it gives them some protection while still letting them be near and get into the action.

SBGC Jammer

Recruiter

06-29-2012

Congrats on Murderbridge, Brackhar and team. Looking forward to playing!

Eletale

06-29-2012

Been playing it a lot in PBE since the server dc issues. One of the sweetest things LoL has to offer.