Racists on LoL

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lakerfan

06-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapZero View Post
I love when people assume NA server = English server.
no offense, but when you first make a account on the na server, the only option it presents in terms of language is english. in the west eu server, it has english spanish and 2 other languages that i cant bother myself to check right now, my point is, since the language that the na server presents to the new players is english, the na server technically is the english server

Werefoofle

06-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SICK N NERVOUS View Post
lol, how do you know that i dont speak english? they reported me just because i am brazilian.

I'm not an expert on the American language, but I know enough to talk to you. I really think you need a Brazilian server, but want to deprive us of playing in NA server is prejudice, cause you want to separate the people only because their living places.

We are like everyone else, we do need a brazilian server, but we have the right to play in the NA server too. I think that we are players like you, but we are also customers of riot, we spend our money in this server. So, why can't we play in the NA servers? lol

Edit: In relation to what said mrdj304
Umm... So is having EU servers prejudice then?

Propheciah

06-26-2012

This is a pretty wide-spread problem in America itself, as we all know. While I don't condone racism myself, stereotypes and insults are still thrown around all the time by these people I see in the game and the people around me. I'm American, and having someone who only speaks portugese or refuses to speak english and doesn't cooperate, it does get kind of frustrating. I feel for you though, man . I think it is truly a really bad problem in this game. It is too bad we only have NA, EUW, and EUNE servers. I think English-only people should recongnize that people in South America have no other server to turn to and this is the best way they can enjoy the game. If a summoner is good and respectful, there is no reason to be racist or refuse to cooperate.

Paxamus

06-26-2012

Let me start out by saying; I don't mind South Americans, I love tacos. I don't mind Canadians Maple Syrup is Awesome.

On a serious note it is annoying to have people who don't speak English in a game where the majority speak it. Another frustrating thing about this is that the South Americans have no server of their own, this causes them to have extremely high latency which is another thing that annoys their team. All of these issues would be solved if South America had their own server.

TheWhitestGhost

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

06-26-2012

1v1 League of Legends Tournament STREAMED LIVE: own3d.tv/thewhitestghost
(follow my stream for updates on regularly scheduled tournaments)

Map: Summoners Rift
Objective: First Blood or First Turret
NOT ALLOWED TO GO BOTTOM OR TOP LANE

1st) $35
2nd) 1380RP

NOTE: Winning tournaments is very good for getting sponsors, which is why this link will stay valid forever as proof for for winners!

DATE: 6/29/2012
TIME: Starts at 7:00 PM Eastern and as early as 3:00 PM Eastern the next day.

TO SIGNUP GO HERE:
http://www.own3d.tv/TheWhitestGhost/video/681434

KingDedede16

06-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxamus View Post
Let me start out by saying; I don't mind South Americans, I love tacos. I don't mind Canadians Maple Syrup is Awesome.

On a serious note it is annoying to have people who don't speak English in a game where the majority speak it. Another frustrating thing about this is that the South Americans have no server of their own, this causes them to have extremely high latency which is another thing that annoys their team. All of these issues would be solved if South America had their own server.
I can see the logic in this statement. I'm not racist in the slightest, I welcome anyone no matter what. When you get into a game though with very few english speakers, it becomes a little bit frustrating as communicating with your team becomes a bit harder. If SA had their own server, I believe that would benefit most, as it would keep racist comments towards Brazillians, etc. to a minimum, and they would have better latency.

Skyhawke

06-26-2012

Well it looks like most of my sentiments were already presented in this thread, but I'll throw in my two cents anyway.

Racism (or xenophobia or whatever the correct term would be) is wrong, and I feel bad for anyone who encounters it in the game - they shouldn't have to deal with that.

That being said, most of it could be avoided if they would use English. The goal of the entire team should be to win, and being able to communicate as a group greatly improves your chances to win. If you're speaking in another language, you're automatically making others feel uncomfortable because they don't know what you're saying. Are you giving them important directions? Are you insulting them? They have no idea, and it makes them understandably uneasy. I learned Spanish while living in Spain, and though everyone learns a bit of English there, I would try and speak Spanish whenever possible, even to my American friends. Why? Because it seemed polite, and I knew the Spaniards around me would appreciate it.

I will always speak some spanish to spanish-speakers to make them feel at ease. I also have picked up a bit of portugese, and if I ever play with a portugese-speaker I speak a little portugese to them to make them comfortable. I've encountered plenty of situations where SA players were ripping on me or my teammates in their respective languages, and were a bit surprised when I responded to them in their language. They usually stopped the insults after that. A lot of people see the language barrier as a wall that allows them to say whatever they want, whether it be English, Spanish, Portugese, Chinese, or whatever, instead of a gap that you can bridge with a sincere effort to communicate.

TL;DR - There's no excuse for racism, but we should all try to facilitate communication to the very best of our ability and thus make the game better for everyone.

Voluug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotTiza View Post
How to run a welcoming community - do not tolerate people who hurl insults.
For that line,you are now my favorite red, Tiza

BattleBootyRiven

06-26-2012

It would be easy if they made a south american server or something, To put them all in there

LilSlugger

06-26-2012

Get a better ping and racism will stop. It's really pingism.