Phantom Dancer Or Infinity Edge?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

i li3k mudkipz

06-24-2012

From a pure dps standpoint, IE is better in terms of damage put out per second

xCry0x

06-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphinominal View Post
It's a matter of two things, in my opinion, which one benefits the champion's play-style more?

For example, Lets take a look at two champions who, I believe, would benefit more from each.

Vayne: When Playing Vayne, her W allows her to deal true damage with every 3rd strike, so wouldn't it be essential for her to be able to attack faster to so that she can keep her silver bolt stacks active and potentially deal more damage. So I would prefer Phantom Dancer over Infinity Edge

Ashe: When Playing Ashe, she gains no additional bonuses to attacking more quickly (like Vayne with her W) So the priority would be to make sure that she's dealing more damage with each hit. therefore I would prefer an Infinity Edge over a Phantom dancer. ((this does not mean it's not a bad idea to build a zeal in the meantime)

Just my thoughts ^_^

^^^ This

I build zeal first on kog & vayne
Trinity force (Sheen or phange first) on ezreal & corki
IE first on everyone else

Kog & Vayne both have damage on hit so early attack speed helps them early.
Ezreal & Corki each have spammable abilities so the extra hit from ability use given by sheen -> triforce helps them massively. Corki in particular is incredibly hard to beat in early game duels once he has his ult and a sheen due to his huge burst.

Everyone else, trist, ashe, mf, sivir, graves etc all benefit from the damage & crit of IE.

DarknessCalls1

06-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphinominal View Post
It's a matter of two things, in my opinion, which one benefits the champion's play-style more?

For example, Lets take a look at two champions who, I believe, would benefit more from each.

Vayne: When Playing Vayne, her W allows her to deal true damage with every 3rd strike, so wouldn't it be essential for her to be able to attack faster to so that she can keep her silver bolt stacks active and potentially deal more damage. So I would prefer Phantom Dancer over Infinity Edge

Ashe: When Playing Ashe, she gains no additional bonuses to attacking more quickly (like Vayne with her W) So the priority would be to make sure that she's dealing more damage with each hit. therefore I would prefer an Infinity Edge over a Phantom dancer. ((this does not mean it's not a bad idea to build a zeal in the meantime)

Just my thoughts ^_^
I've played about 90% of my games using Vayne (or I used to anyway) and in my experience, the damage from getting a BT or IE is much more substantial than getting a PD.
While I can see where you're coming from thinking attack speed, the Silver Bolts don't actually do much damage early game. Since it's a percentage of health, the bolts will only do about 40 damage compared to your normal shots doing something like 90 a few levels in. Now to rely on that 40 damage over the 240-280 damage you'd be doing in the shots to proc the effect, the damage isn't even close.
Vayne's main source of damage is her auto attack and her Q - Tumble. Her E does a lot of damage if you can hit it but unless you're willing to blow your summoner spells by flash/Exaust or Ult+roll, it's hard to get your E off early game on decent players. The starting damage on the Q is about 35-ish damage early game (more if you level it up first) which is nice as a poke since that's in addition to your damage anyway and (in my experience) ends up doing more damage. If you're using your Q to poke, you want the extra damage.
Bottom line is that you probably won't get more than two Silver bolts off in a fight early game. Even if you level it up first and it's level 5, that's only 8% per three shots. That doesn't amount to a whole lot of damage and keep in mind that you'd have to be able to shoot 6 times (which is kind of a lot early game) and you'd only take out about 16% of the person's health. If your Q is level 5, you can use it every two seconds, basically as every third shot. It'll do an extra 50% of your attack damage to the person which ends up doing more than silver bolts. (This is all assuming that you're going after the enemy carry or a squishy support which is who you SHOULD be going for. Higher HP champs would obviously take equal or higher damage from the Silver Bolts but you're not going to get kills on these champs early game even with armor pen. unless they make a mistake. Go for the squishies!)

So if you agree in that the Q should come first above your W, then the damage of an IE or a BT would be more beneficial, especially if you spend a lot of time poking at the enemy carry (which you should be doing constantly). SO that's Vayne for you.
EDIT- One more thing, I usually go PD second (after BT) and then IE in games where I'm doing well.
As for in general, I really couldn't say as much but I would think that unless your champ specifically gains a lot from getting attack speed first, damage should be the way to go.

tl;dr Vayne needs AD first, Other AD carries probably do too

xCry0x

06-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessCalls1 View Post

tl;dr Vayne needs AD first, Other AD carries probably do too
Didn't quote the whole thing but you make a good point. I don't play vayne but I play kog, I have been torn between which is better.

Little Boy Nate

06-24-2012

IE - More damage per hit. Early-Mid game you have limited time to hit people and poking is supreme. This does it much better than PD, especially if your abilities have AD ratios.

PD - Late game has come extremely early and everyone is crowding together to fight. This is where you get to stand and auto attack while doing a little less kiting than early-mid because you have your team to back you up.

Poking a bit more or have CC from your support or team to auto attack standing still? IE
Are you often chasing for a kill and being extremely aggressive but just not enough time to hit? PD.

yahasosching

06-24-2012

i think if you use an ad carry this two items and bloodthirster is same importent,you should care about the hero's style and use either phantom dancer or infinite edge.like master yi and ashe,i usually put phantom dancer first but i'll put infinite edge too.but vayne,i'll only put phantim dancer cause she need atk more faster

Trenta

06-24-2012

Well the only ranged ad I see phantom dancer bought first constantly on is kogmaw, because you have to get as many hits as you can before the w runs out.

But I see champs like vayne and Ashe being bought a phantom dancer first purely because of the extra move speed. Boots 2 + phantom dancer and vaynes passive/Ashe slow is pretty deadly. I've done it before and think it works better on Ashe than vayne.
In most other cases an infinity edge is the best item to be bought first because of all the ad and the crit bonus damage. Even on ez and corki. It used to be triforce straight up on them, but now it varies and I think infinity edge works better on them and all other carries except kogmaw and vayne.

On vayne bloodthister is the best first because her range is so low and she usually gets in danger when in range so that extra lifesteal helps a tonne for being poked in lane.

Danish Vikingz

06-24-2012

On most carries I go for IE first, but often on graves and vayne I go for BT first, then PD then IE. Simply cause I feel like they need the sustain early cause their range. Many might do it else way, but this is how I get the best success playing these.

GLaD0S

06-24-2012

is caitlyn in a similar boat as vayne? In regards to caitlyn's passive?

Luda

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-25-2012

IE better