Alistar the Tanky Tank, or How to Tank with Alistar, or the Newbs Guide to Alistar

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MeditationError

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-19-2010

The more I use it, the more Randuin's Omen feels like the best piece of tanking kit you can buy. The effective mitigation on it is ludicrous, but the number of kills you feed your team from the slow adds up very, very quickly.

It also synergizes well with Alistar, who doesn't have much trouble making people hit him, and is able to make devastating use of positional advantages.

It's a nice easy build too.

SciencePrime

08-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRED View Post
Alistar is a good aura champ since he stays alive. I really really really advise rushing aegis after chalice. Frozen heart is a good aura too.

Heal + aegis can help team pushes immensely. Not to mention the MR/AR boost to all your minions and allies is not negligible.

The stats on aegis aura cost over 700 gold,you're buying 3500 worth of gold for your entire team when you do 5-man team pushes or team battles, not to mention the non-aura stats.
Thanks for presenting the case for Aegis in gold terms. Been experimenting with it on Shen. I'll give it a shot on Alistar, though the temptation to go for randuin's or banshee's after chalice is going to be a hard one to ignore.

FckMan

Recruiter

08-20-2010

the guide is cool. however since me being a support tank i buy Soul Shroud and Aegis to support my team. if they are dps heavy, Thornmail of course. i buy Guardian Angel just to be that more unstoppable. however if the enemy team sucks badly, ill just get Soul Shroud and Aegis and work on AP. its all situational. AP heavy? yah add banshee's veil somewhere in there. but you are already unstoppable with flash/cleanse/ultimate plus your items. having Guardian Angel is a good thing, at least for me, keeps me in the game, especially when teams know its gonna be tough to attack my team with me around so they'll attack me. i just refuse to die at all cost.

remember AP after being tanked out means more health for Triumphant Roar.

hollywoodAnimal

08-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Shin View Post
Great Guide to be honest [Thumbs up]
Even though... well i've seen bad teams play against alistar [consistently hitting for everything they are worth], and good teams [ignoring him, with tanks taunting him by sitting in his face, while squishies stay away]; I dunno what to say about a "tank" alistar; I find him unimpressive, tank or otherwise. If my team is competent, he's got, at most, major nuissance value, but i'm not remarkably concerned about him.
The problem is, VS a good team, you have a hard time initiating w/o flash, and it does have a long-ass CD.
The simple fact is, you can't win an all out fight with Alistar blocking the way, so a competent team will simply refuse to engage while Alistair is here. The only REAL way for you to make use of tankiness then is to push turrets, and force teamfights with Flash. Incidentally, this is also the one situation where you CAN die mostly due to the Turret pounding you for all its worth.
Furthemore, Madreds can make your life very miserable, and a there are a couple of Anti-Tank abilites and items out there as well [Warwick and that OP lifesteal, for example, or the infamous deathfire].
Also, Alistar is generally weak-ish until he gets his bad boy items, and late game tends to fall behind damage oriented tanks [Nasus and his OMFGWTFRUN ulti, the MFing Cho Gath and his OMFGWTFHAX Stun/Silence/OmNomNom].
Remember that Bloodrazors and Deathfire's both deal magic damage, so if you end up having problems playing against these items, then stack some additional MR to severely reduce their effectiveness. And the OP lifesteal, from what I remember, also deals magic damage.

Also, @OP, if you find that 2 cleanse aren't enough (say against a well coordinated team), then try a Quicksilver Sash for the additional debuff remover, as well as some MR (and not a very high cost either)

SciencePrime

08-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodAnimal View Post
Remember that Bloodrazors and Deathfire's both deal magic damage, so if you end up having problems playing against these items, then stack some additional MR to severely reduce their effectiveness. And the OP lifesteal, from what I remember, also deals magic damage.

Also, @OP, if you find that 2 cleanse aren't enough (say against a well coordinated team), then try a Quicksilver Sash for the additional debuff remover, as well as some MR (and not a very high cost either)
Quicksilver Sash is a very intriguing suggestion. I honestly have never bought it for two sad reasons: 1) I've never seen anyone else use it. Stupid way to think, especially since i think the item is great 2) In the thick of battle, I'm honestly already juggling too many things to remember to use it. It's sad to say, but I even sometimes forget to activate randuin's when I should.

All that said, I give my thumbs up to Quicksilver Sash for being a relatively cheap item with a ton of utility. I will field test it and see if the third "cleanse" works well with the build.

Also, thanks for pointing out that the madreds (and maybe lifesteal) passive is dealt in magic damage. I often overlook that aspect.

Goatblower

08-27-2010

certainly is tanky, and i'm glad you have good success with it. i would be interested in actually seeing your playstyle ingame, because i just want to gauge my eyes out, not having the CDR or mana regen i'm accustomed to. But thats just me, i do not believing in nocking any build that works for its user, so gratz! ; P

However, on worst items ever for Alistar, i would put warmogs -he farms too slow & has way too few kills to make it a wise investment, & give frozen Mallet a lot more credit. Why? Because of presence. If a team wants to ignore alistar between cd's fine, but if you want them to feel obligated to engage Alistar, frozen mallet does the job. Lets see how their squishy/fleeing members fare at ignoring His Tankiness when all he has to do inbetween CDs is auto attack, slowing them evey hit so your team mate can finish them off or you can simply bludgeon them to death. Like you said, its not about the damage, its about doing what comes natural to Alistar. Alistar has long cd's esp if you dont max his cdr, he is naturally tanky, & what can be more natural to any champ than auto-attack? so lets see... Frozen Mallet enhances his tankiness (+700 health), gives him battle presence between his cds, compensates in a way for his natural slowness by slowing his target, & doesn't need high AD or AS to be effective. Sounds like it fits Alistar pretty darn natural if you ask me! ; P but that said, while i think frozen Mallet is great on Ali, i would relegate it to slot 5 or 6... it is not at the core of his build.

Anyway, very nice guide, & engaging. It made me think deeper about how alistar works, & i appreciate that because Ali is my man! Aint no other man but hIm!!! ; P

Train

09-18-2010

I hate it when people ask rhetorical questions every other sentence. Don't believe me? Ugh.

SciencePrime

09-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Train View Post
I hate it when people ask rhetorical questions every other sentence. Don't believe me? Ugh.
Haha. I can see the infomercial now. "Are you tired of tanking with the same old characters? Are you fed up with the monotony of powerball, taunt, defensive curl? Try Alistar, the best tank around, now! Don't believe me? Well, for only 1350 IP..."

Slash Chaplin

09-20-2010

Great guide, I love playing Alistar as a tank, and hopefully at the least this will get people to understand him a little more so when they see him on their team they will cheer and dance knowing the enemy's day is about to be ruined.

Xanthyr

09-20-2010

I've always used Flash/Ghost with Alistar, both are great for initiating. With my group specifically we have a Jungle Udyr, and I take the solo lane. Usually by level 4, he has both buffs and I obviously have pulverize and headbutt which lands us an easy kill. One time I actually got a double kill solo vs a Soraka/Karthus lane at level 3, which is one of my favorite LoL moments in all of my life.

I noticed in your guide you don't mention using headbutt in a chasing application. Numerous times my team would have just won a teamfight (Aww yeah, Alistardom) and their carry is running away with 1/4 hp and their support is hanging behind them trying to block skillshots.

Ghost, headbutt the support, flash onto carry, Pulverize. Bam, your team can score an ace and take out 40 more towers.

Same application, two people chasing a teammate, one is low HP, get a free flash in with headbutt o n the higher health champion and pulverize the hurt enemy.

All very obvious, but it wasn't described in the thread.