Let's Have a General Discussion About Dominion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Colonero

06-12-2012

I started to enjoy playing dominion recently and have been constantly learning more. I find that people feel dominion is just a massive kill fest and don't know how to work properly as a team to maintain control. I also have plenty of people who blame me for the team loss because I picked a support (hint, tanky support is practically a must for a proper dominion team). You still need a balanced team damage wise for dominion, it's way too easy to build tanky against a team of full AD. Picking malphite / rammus in a blind pick match is pretty much auto win.

So my only main problem is people keep treating dominion like it is SR and refuse to learn how dominion truly works. Things like having revive / garrison to secure / initiate.

FDru

06-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by accuracy1st View Post
i like taking my sweet time beating people in summoners rift.

in dominion it just ends and you are like awwwwww.
That's a legit complaint. The problem is that surrenders happen almost all the time in SR, so that satisfaction is constantly being taken away.

I guess it comes down to what you would rather do... outlane the enemy for 20 minutes until they finally just give up, or actually crush them for 15-20 minutes in fights and get a real victory.

ActionButlerGO

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrignardTS View Post
2) AD items are much better early than caster. Brutilizer into Ghost Blade is very strong. Trinity adds 'tons of damage'. Grail didn't really add much, mana isn't a problem for casters in Dominion. Solution: Give more Dominion only caster items.

It's possible to balance this mode without effecting SR
I've always thought that Dominion balance could be significantly improved by completely scrapping the existing catalog of items and introducing a fully Dominion-only shop.

GrignardTS

06-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionButlerGO View Post
I've always thought that Dominion balance could be significantly improved by completely scrapping the existing catalog of items and introducing a fully Dominion-only shop.
I would approve of this, but I think it would take too much of an overhaul for Riot to actually pull through. I mean even in SR, their cash cow, see Stealth Rework. And that would take even more effort.

Would perfectly balance the mode however IMO. Items are a big issue here, we don't even have a Warmogs. FM is meh.

ActionButlerGO

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrignardTS View Post
I would approve of this, but I think it would take too much of an overhaul for Riot to actually pull through. I mean even in SR, their cash cow, see Stealth Rework. And that would take even more effort.

Would perfectly balance the mode however IMO. Items are a big issue here, we don't even have a Warmogs. FM is meh.
Oh, yeah, I never expect this to actually happen. We would be talking about completely overhauling the entire inventory of items. It would, at best, be thousands of hours of number crunching, balancing, modeling, testing, etc. The task would be far from simple.

To be honest, the more I think about it, the more I wonder why Riot didn't front load that work, though, and have a Dominion-specific item set from the beginning.

All of that said, though, I really do think that would solve our balance problems. Which is genuinely disappointing. Dominion had (still has, if Riot took some initiative) a metric ton of potential. Really, its one of the major differences between League and its competitors at the moment. To invest so much time into developing the Crystal Scar only to completely ignore it just baffles me.

jakeoti

06-12-2012

There's a lot more depth to Dominion than people give it credit. Knowing when to just harass an opponent at a point, map awareness of where the enemy is so that you can potentially leave one of your points to fall so that you can take one of their's.

What I would like to see would be a somewhat established meta; I feel that that would bring more people in. At the moment, especially since no one plays Draft, teams can often be very poorly constructed. Beating a team because they all chose AD characters just feels wrong.
The best that I can figure out is having a tank, a squishy ap, a squishy ad, and two tanky characters (although not full tank), preferably one ad and one ap.

Also, I love Dominion because I main Viktor. On SR, his passive is a debate between red and blue augment; on Dominion, though, the yellow can get some serious usage, which is awesome.

DJTK

06-12-2012

Hmmm...That's an interesting school a thought. A Dominion only item shop. I like it .

Of course that's just as likely to happen as Ranked Dominion .

Redenbacher

06-12-2012

I wonder if there is anyone at Riot that is passionate about Dominion, to the point where they're asked to work on something for SR, and they say, "No! MY PEOPLE NEED ME!"

I wonder how long support/tweaks will last for Proving Grounds...

Anywho, I agree - I think items + aura are the only thing that should be tweaked as far as stats go.

Do speed shrines grant their movespeed bonus as a % of base, or is it a flat amount? I believe it's a %, and I'm curious if it would be better to change it to a flat amount that increases to a cap with time. Would give inherently fast champions slightly less of an advantage.

Woozl

06-12-2012

Global/Movespeed teams too stronk. Nothing quite as fun as a (Pick 2) GP/Ez/Karthus/Panth/TF/Ashe/Draaaaven combo shutting down every attempted cap.

DJTK

06-12-2012

Bump.