AD Ranged Characters

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ShadowStormLOL

06-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valen of Wulf View Post
The problem with Kogmaw is that I am not skilled at leading the opponent. As for Tristana, I haven't played her enough yet. She seems viable, though. I think my main problem is positioning, though. With Fiora, I enjoy shredding opponents with a few quick hits, then moving to the next. Plus, her ult allows me to survive a bit until my team comes while killing them. I want a ranged who can do that too, or at least rip people apart quickly. If positioning is my problem, then I need to find someone who can move around well, and still deal a lot of damage quickly.
Based on this, I do think you'd like Tristana. Her Q gives the bonus attack speed to help you shred people, and her E can cut down their healing during the fights. If you get into a bad spot, you can use her ult to push people away from you. And then you have W for both escaping and repositioning.

Vayne might also fit, because she can shred anything (thanks to her true damage component), has Tumble to reposition, and Condemn to push them back. Her ult also gives Tumble some brief invisibility, to help with escaping and repositioning.

Other carries w/ reposition abilities are:

Ezreal (his blink - Arcane Shift I think?)
Graves (Quickdraw)
Corki (Valkyrie)
Draven (kinda - Blood Rush gives you movement speed, but it isn't an instant move)

The Starflyer

06-07-2012

Corki might actually be good for this playstyle. He may not seem bursty, but once you get a sheen or triforce and start using missiles in between auto attacks with gatling gun running, he deals a surprising amount of damage. Not to mention gatling gun is an armor shred, giving him even more damage. He also has wonderful poke for almost no mana, a great reposition/escape, and he deals true damage on every auto attack. Also he has one of the best skins in the game (urfrider corki)

xCry0x

06-07-2012

Quote:
The problem with Kogmaw is that I am not skilled at leading the opponent. As for Tristana, I haven't played her enough yet. She seems viable, though. I think my main problem is positioning, though. With Fiora, I enjoy shredding opponents with a few quick hits, then moving to the next. Plus, her ult allows me to survive a bit until my team comes while killing them. I want a ranged who can do that too, or at least rip people apart quickly. If positioning is my problem, then I need to find someone who can move around well, and still deal a lot of damage quickly.
With kog'maw you press w and right click on a opponent, you only have to lead with the R and you really only use that to any effect early game, maybe killing a runner late/mid game but that is less of an issue.

To play any ranged AD carry you need to learn to position. They are ranged so they are all less tanky than a solo lane bruiser (maybe except graves) but as a trade off for tankyness they do massive damage from a distance.

Positioning is typically about letting the other team get out of position first. It is not your job to initiate fights, it is your job to win them.

If you want to rush in first you should focus on playing top/jungle champions as that play style doesn't lead to doing well as an ad carry.

Yea trist can jump around with her w but you use that to close the gap to finish off kills not start a team fight.

Valen of Wulf

06-07-2012

Thanks for the help. Now, I have one last question. I understand Black Cleaver is better than last Whisper in a few cases, but is last Whisper still viable mid and late game because of its 40% armor penn? Or is it better to just wait and buy Black Cleaver every time?

ShadowStormLOL

06-07-2012

Quote:
Thanks for the help. Now, I have one last question. I understand Black Cleaver is better than last Whisper in a few cases, but is last Whisper still viable mid and late game because of its 40% armor penn? Or is it better to just wait and buy Black Cleaver every time?
There's a lot of math you can do to figure out when one is preferable to the other, but in general, I think Last Whisper is preferred to Black Cleaver by most players.

RiotTiza

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

eSports Coordinator

06-07-2012
3 of 3 Riot Posts

Armor Pen is more effective the closer you bring your target to 0 armor. If your targets have low armor, the flat Armor Pen from Black Cleaver is very effective. However, once armor gets high, you need more Armor Pen to make it worthwhile, making Black Cleaver fall off very hard late game or against a moderately tanky composition. LW is basically mandatory on an AD carry if three enemies have more than 100 armor, or if the team lacks squishy targets.

ChaosBloodterfly

06-07-2012

Quote:
Tristana is king of undoing bad positioning. One of the longest dashes (that resets on kills!) and the longest knockbacks in the game and the longest permanent range at lvl 18. If you can't do positioning on Trist, I don't think any other AD carry will be easier.

Tristana also has the strongest AS steroid. And her spells have a lot of early damage (max W first, you should be able to burst down the enemy AD carry if they get out of position in lane at lvl 6)

xXxXxNINJAxXxXx

06-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotTiza View Post
Armor Pen is more effective the closer you bring your target to 0 armor. If your targets have low armor, the flat Armor Pen from Black Cleaver is very effective. However, once armor gets high, you need more Armor Pen to make it worthwhile, making Black Cleaver fall off very hard late game or against a moderately tanky composition. LW is basically mandatory on an AD carry if three enemies have more than 100 armor, or if the team lacks squishy targets.
Well actually, as a ranged AD, a PD + LW (plus all other standard items) does less damage than 2 PDs. At least, over time (a very short time too!), but the MS should help you kite/keep up. If you are someone like graves with a lot of ability dmg, the LW is probably better.

retched

06-08-2012

Here's a post from the reign of gaming forums if you want to see some analysis of this discussion (with some disputes as always).

http://clgaming.net/forums/board39-r...hisper-part-2/

It's important to note that the question was picking last whisper or black cleaver with his build and not the items stand alone. Typically, the priority items for an AD are a damage (Infinity Edge, Bloodthrister) then steroid (Phantom Dancer, sometimes Trinity Force). At that point, the game is near the 30 min mark or so where the enemy is likely stacking some armor items. By the time you get Black Cleaver, the armor reduction becomes minimal versus Last Whisper. Odds are you will want to rush Black Cleaver early (in exchange for the primary damage item) in order to maximize its effects.

MomoMonkey69

01-18-2013

Quote:
I am looking for an AD ranged carry I can really enjoy. It took me awhile, but I finally found Fiora as an AD melee carry and I enjoy her a lot. I keep looking for someone like her, in ranged form, but I am having little luck. The closest I find is Ezreal or Varus, but I am still having trouble with them. Any help on character selection and/or build and strategies for AD ranged carries would be very appreciated.
Mmmm maybe Vayne? Amazing late game