Cassiopeia vs Fiora

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

W1nn3b4g0 M4n

05-30-2012

I was playing a few games tonight with some friends and since they're a bit more skilled than I, I typically hang back and play something unassuming like support. We were on a winning streak though so I thought I'd break out Cassiopeia for mid lane. I have only dabbled with Cassiopeia in AI games so I knew I'd have to be careful but I was confident that I'd at least be able to hold my lane and match my opponent in cs.

The game didn't start off too well. While I waiting on the other side of our blue buff the entire enemy team caught me for a quick first blood. Unshaken I returned to mid lane. I still wasn't sure who my opponent was at this point. We figured their Nautilus would be mid but I soon discovered it was Fiora. I focused on last hitting and tried to harass a little with my q but then I died. Instantly. I literally didn't have time to react. Fiora dropped me in less than a second. I was quite shocked as I had nearly full health when she used Lunge to jump on me. I chalked it up to being too aggressive. I went back to lane determined to play more carefully.

She was a level ahead of me and had just picked up her ult. The only items she had were boots and pots. I made sure to stay close to the tower and only last hit from there. Again she lunged, and as the tower readjusted it's cannon she ulted and became an untargetable whirlwind of death. Three deaths on the scoreboard for me. I reluctantly went back to my lane.

Our blue was up and Udyr signaled me over. As I left I knew Fiora would follow. Sure enough she headed after me. We were ready for her though and our Vayne & Nunu had come up from bot. We did manage to kill her but even though it was four vs one Fiora came dangerously close to killing our Vayne. She still only had boots and pots at this point so her kill advantage hadn't translated to equipment yet.

I believe my next death occurred when Nautilus flash/ulted over the wraith wall and Fiora dove me with her ult. I had nearly given up at this point but I had rushed a chain vest so Fiora's damage was somewhat mitigated. I built Rylai's next to boost my effective hp and finished off Zhonya's. Our Vayne was pretty fed and it came down to a fairly close game. They lacked magic damage so most of us built to counter them. They did win in the end though and my final score was a shameful 6/10/9.

I want to know if anyone else has played this match up and what their experience was. Please post any other strange lane match ups that you either stomped or were eviscerated by.

For those who are curious the Fiora was running arpen marks, armor seals, crit chance glyphs, and ad quints.

Iliketurtle

05-30-2012

cassi wins

Sam Is Whoa

05-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iliketurtle View Post
cassi wins
That's excellent feedback nice to know you took your time to think about what you were going to say. Very incitefull.

Now Flora is a master at turret diving not much to do with that. All I could say is poison pool to stop her last hitting and try to read her moves to ultimate her under tower or just ultimate and spam your abilities. Cass should win as she can harass from far and still farm minions. I would say she played aggressive and you just folded. If she's aggressive you have to harass her when she is. Your dot should stop her passive from being effective.

W1nn3b4g0 M4n

05-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Is Whoa View Post
That's excellent feedback nice to know you took your time to think about what you were going to say. Very incitefull.

Now Flora is a master at turret diving not much to do with that. All I could say is poison pool to stop her last hitting and try to read her moves to ultimate her under tower or just ultimate and spam your abilities. Cass should win as she can harass from far and still farm minions. I would say she played aggressive and you just folded. If she's aggressive you have to harass her when she is. Your dot should stop her passive from being effective.
Thanks you for the response. She wasn't very focused on last hitting, she would just aa the minions to activate her passive. Whenever she was in range though I'd tag her with q. As soon as I landed a dot on her I'd sink as many twin fangs into her as I could. I tried to ult her under my tower early on but she entered her ult at the same time. I did manage to hit her like this a second time and kill her.

The thing about harassing from afar is that the distance keeps you safe. But since Fiora has lunge it didn't really matter. If I threw down a w to discourage her from last hitting she could just dive on me and dish out ridiculous damage. I also thought that Cass' dot would help with Fiora's passive but once she picked up wriggle's her sustain was godlike.

As I explained before I am fairly inexperienced with Cassiopeia and mid lane in general. I should note that I don't think Fiora is op or anything. In the game preceding the Cassiopeia debacle I played Riven and went against a Fiora top. I won the lane and snowballed into mid game. I know she can be beaten, and had we been in a reasonably passive farm lane I am confident that I would have eventually come out on top with Cass. It's just that the insane, LeBlanc like, burst she exhibited early on (pre-6) was far too much damage to handle.

TeknoWizard

05-30-2012

It's the eternally annoying AD mid. Caitlyn is the one who does me in when she shows up in mid. Fiora is one of the AD champions that just bursts you very well. Cassio doesn't seem like a good mid against her, as you'd want someone with a more available stun, such as Brand or Annie. Maybe even a Xerath to just completely out range her.

In short, abuse range. I know she can dash, but just try to hang back.

R00ler

05-30-2012

Cassiopeia has some of the highest DPS in the game, but it only works if you land your poison. Land the poison, you win, miss the poison, you're screwed. You probably played too passively, you need to be the boss at the minion line, whenever Fiora gets close to one of her minions you pop your Q to chase her back. If you can get a few good harasses in she'll be forced to b or play passively. 1 v 1 early game my bet is on Cassiopeia.

If she ult's you, hit yourself with that poison pool so when she's done she's standing in it.

W1nn3b4g0 M4n

05-30-2012

Yeah AD mid can be tough. I was thinking that a reliable stun would help as well. Even Ryze would be good since you could snare her and get out of her range.

I'm sure passive play was part of the problem but there was really no point in the laning phase where I could be 'boss at the minion line.' From very early on she could burst me for a really high amount of damage.

Tis I The Walrus

05-30-2012

Cassiopeia does too much magic damage.

Tis I The Walrus

05-30-2012

I think that Riot is doing a great job of creating an environment that welcomes all players. I LOVE RIOT.