Which matchmaking 'issue' is the most important to you? (See post for more details!)

1) AFKs in Champion Select Lobby 4,858 36.25%
2) Duo-Queue Elo Disparities in Ranked 1,003 7.49%
3) Skilled Ranked Players in Normal Modes 661 4.93%
4) Premade Matching 667 4.98%
5) Transitioning from Normal to Ranked Mode 1,342 10.01%
6) Free to Play Champions in Ranked Mode 801 5.98%
7) Random Champions in Ranked Mode 646 4.82%
8) Provisional Matches in Ranked 720 5.37%
9) Duo Queue Prevalence in Ranked 418 3.12%
10) Level Disparities 645 4.81%
11) Team Margin of Victory 1,639 12.23%
Voters: 13400. You may not vote on this poll

After Hours with Matchmaking and Lyte

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Playeful

05-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawr Poptart Cat View Post
I think that if people are split even on winning and losing, that the gain should be higher then the loss, if they are farming up and up. They will be placed against stronger people and if they dont belong there they will go right back down. Maybe just a 4 elo gap. win 12 elo lose 8 elo.

If people are good and are just stuck, I believe that there should be some gain somewhere...

Play 50 matches win lose 25 each. same elo at the end of the week....Really gets boring and causes people to rage over time. Builds up stress and may cause them to do even worse.

It jsut doesn't feel rewarding at the end of the week...
If you are winning 50% of your games why would you want to be a higher elo. Wouldnt you rather have good games rather than flaunt a high elo?

Moguta

05-08-2012

If a player is afk or disconnect for more than half the duration of a ranked game, they should be given a double elo loss penalty and the players on his team should get loss forgiven. The players on the enemy team should gain half elo for winning this game.

Zoram

05-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Yegg is design lead of a team that is working on the competitive modes and figuring out the best ways to improve them. We talk a lot about the transition to Ranked and work on solutions together, but his team will be the one that implements the changes.

The actual work is not too difficult, but whatever we decide to put in becomes the 'official' stance so we have to take extra care in how we explain the game mode and whether we want to improve the experiences of playing Ranked first, or change the messaging first. This is where the complexity comes in as we try to model and predict the order effects of doing one before the other, or whether we must do both at once.
Well I have said it time and time again to no avail of riot ears and eyes.

As it is right now, the only difference in ranked is
1.you can see your ELO
2.you can only play it if you are level 30

These do nothing to convey that it is a competitive playlist, which it IS. Infact I find worse and more apathetic players in ranked than in normal games.

There are lots of ways to integrate into the system to SHOW players it is competitive. I made a thread about punishment for unsportsman like behavior. But that is partly also about the player behavior end of things.

What I mean is, in ranked, you can bar players from playing until they have a certain number of wins. One big point I made in my thread is elo loss as punishment in addition to ban time for ranked, or ranked playlist only bans for people who don't get that ranked is for serious play. For example I once encountered a player who played swain for the first time ever in ranked, no bot games, no normals, no studying swain, just played him. He almost cost us a game, luckily me(our support) and the jungler saved his butt and carried enough to win it. This player was extremely uncaring that what he did was not acceptable in competitive play.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...4#post23946774
This is the thread I am referring to. Just ideas, not that I'm saying this is THE way. But the fact that nothing is done to rectify ranked issues and player behavior in general really bothers me.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

05-08-2012
107 of 362 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vox1st View Post
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...4#post23946774
This is the thread I am referring to. Just ideas, not that I'm saying this is THE way. But the fact that nothing is done to rectify ranked issues and player behavior in general really bothers me.
We are actively working on fixing Ranked issues and player behavior issues! Regarding your comments on Ranked, I think there is a common misconception that some players are just not 'ready' for Ranked.

For example, let's say we have 4 tiers of players:
- Peasant
- Footman
- Knight
- Champion of League

Right now, players are suggesting ideas like "Get 300 Wins before you can play Ranked" or "Get 20 Champions before you can play Ranked." This is similar to saying, "Peasants should not play Ranked! They are not skilled enough and not ready! Make it so that only Footman and above can play Ranked!"

However, how does this solve the problem? If we do this then in the future, the Footmen become the worst players in the Ranked Ladder and arguably players will then suggest that Footmen should not be able to play Ranked. This cycle will just perpetuate over and over until only Champions of League can play Ranked Mode.

This goes against the very belief of competitive gaming: all players should be able to participate in Ranked Ladder if they want! However, as I have mentioned before, there are lots of things we still want to do to help transition players from Normal to Ranked Mode. But, I think restricting players from Ranked Mode is not the solution.

Cae vida loka

05-08-2012

Change the name of thread to "After Months with Matchmaking and Lyte"...

Gath Immortal

05-08-2012

Ideas for bettering ranked play:

1. Implement a kick feature in queues like everyone has said.

2. Change solo queue (specifically) ELO so that if YOU personally did well, you will still gain some ELO even if your team lost.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

05-08-2012
108 of 362 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cae vida loka View Post
Change the name of thread to "After Months with Matchmaking and Lyte"...
I think we are pretty on pace so far. It takes a bit of time to collect the data and run the analyses to identify where the problems are.

Then, we took some weeks to talk to our community about the issues we identified and get some feedback on potential solutions.

Now, we're coding up some of the solutions...

Nores

05-08-2012

Hey Lyte,

I thought long and hard what is really wrong with matchmaking and why is it so that so many matches are completely one sided blowouts no matter the elo . I watch streams and now the featured games too - the same story even at the highest levels of elo- maybe 2 out of 10 games are somewhat even back and forth games, and other 8 are complete blowouts with 10k gold difference and surrenders at 20

Imho there are a few factors:

1) Trolls, afkers and DC. Sadly seems present way too often.
2) Team compositions are wastly varied and sometimes many teams are just lost games at champ select
3) Majority of players only play well certain lanes and certain champs

I want elaborate more on 3) . A lot of people say " dont play rank if you cant play every role", but absolute majority of people can only play one lane at their best , and mediocre to poor other lanes. If you check most popular streamers and top players play mostly their dedicated lane. There are even tons of platinum players who not only play just one lane , but only play 1-2 champions! - people like Rincent, TiensiNoAkuma, InvertedComposer, Zekent, etc

And there is good reason to- learning how to play you lane really well involves learning a lot of things. And the most important ones is how all the different matchups are played out and that the skill which can only be acquired after you played hundreds of games in this lane. And even general things like how to avoid ganks , how to transition to objectives , controlling lane , bait they too have a lot of lane specific elements

A most common case is that player can play only one lane well and still he can lose it badly if he encounters uncommon matchup or is counterpicked

What this in practice leads to is that when players are put in bad position they play worse than their elo. A solo top player can play solo top at 1600 elo and his real elo is 1500. When he is put into other positions he plays like 1200 elo. The games he plays other positions are frustrating for him and his team.

One the best solutions I could think of is to revamp matchmaking in this way that you could choose up to 3 preferred roles ( in order of preference). And it would match people to a complete team (similar how dungeon finder works in wow). It should also track elo separately for each role separately.

you can already check the player statistics aggregators like this http://www.lolstatistics.com/player/na/20795467 and see that its often the case for many players.

The fact that at champ select screen there is already start of negative experience between people fighting for roles, and negative attitude from being forced into position you dont like all say for the revamp of matchmaking from role perspective

TheScholarlyDude

05-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nores View Post
Hey Lyte,

I thought long and hard what is really wrong with matchmaking and why is it so that so many matches are completely one sided blowouts no matter the elo . I watch streams and now the featured games too - the same story even at the highest levels of elo- maybe 2 out of 10 games are somewhat even back and forth games, and other 8 are complete blowouts with 10k gold difference and surrenders at 20

Imho there are a few factors:

1) Trolls, afkers and DC. Sadly seems present way too often.
2) Team compositions are wastly varied and sometimes many teams are just lost games at champ select
3) Majority of players only play well certain lanes and certain champs

I want elaborate more on 3) . A lot of people say " dont play rank if you cant play every role", but absolute majority of people can only play one lane at their best , and mediocre to poor other lanes. If you check most popular streamers and top players play mostly their dedicated lane. There are even tons of platinum players who not only play just one lane , but only play 1-2 champions! - people like Rincent, TiensiNoAkuma, InvertedComposer, Zekent, etc

And there is good reason to- learning how to play you lane really well involves learning a lot of things. And the most important ones is how all the different matchups are played out and that the skill which can only be acquired after you played hundreds of games in this lane. And even general things like how to avoid ganks , how to transition to objectives , controlling lane , bait they too have a lot of lane specific elements

A most common case is that player can play only one lane well and still he can lose it badly if he encounters uncommon matchup or is counterpicked

What this in practice leads to is that when players are put in bad position they play worse than their elo. A solo top player can play solo top at 1600 elo and his real elo is 1500. When he is put into other positions he plays like 1200 elo. The games he plays other positions are frustrating for him and his team.

One the best solutions I could think of is to revamp matchmaking in this way that you could choose up to 3 preferred roles ( in order of preference). And it would match people to a complete team (similar how dungeon finder works in wow). It should also track elo separately for each role separately.

you can already check the player statistics aggregators like this http://www.lolstatistics.com/player/na/20795467 and see that its often the case for many players.

The fact that at champ select screen there is already start of negative experience between people fighting for roles, and negative attitude from being forced into position you dont like all say for the revamp of matchmaking from role perspective
The catch would be role/type. otherwise you'll have people saying they want to jungle but the team needs a tanky jungle...

You could in theory end up with a totally screwed team of all squishy caster types....

Kikhan

05-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
I think we are pretty on pace so far. It takes a bit of time to collect the data and run the analyses to identify where the problems are.

Then, we took some weeks to talk to our community about the issues we identified and get some feedback on potential solutions.

Now, we're coding up some of the solutions...

Whee can't wait to see keep up the good fight