[Guide] Malphite - the rocky dps tank

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DjinnAndTonic

10-28-2009

Ive been going growth pendant > tabi > aegis > atmas > frozen heart. i guess this isnt a dps build though

ArchReaper

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-28-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjinnAndTonic View Post
Ive been going growth pendant > tabi > aegis > atmas > frozen heart. i guess this isnt a dps build though
Again... this has nothing to do with my guide... that is a tank buiild, mine is a dps build.

Nemui

10-29-2009

hey there

i also play malphite as dps only and have been very succesful with it. you can even kill ryze 1on1, that's a huge plus imho ^^

two differences to your build though:

1. i have another skill priority, q w r e (because q is mandatory first skill and w just owns with dmg-items)

2. i use another item build:

berserker's greaves
stark's fervor (lifeleech + armorpenaura + attackspeed ftw)
tiamat (just own creeps simultaneously)
black cleaver
phantom dancer
infinity edge (never got so far)

DrPlague

11-02-2009

Thanks for this guide. I've usually played Malphite defensively, stacking armour and magic resist, works better at tanking than pure hp build.
Anyways, I tried this build as dps, and found it extremely potent. Once you get Infinities Edge, man the crits come rolling in.
Early game though, I'm a lot less potent than some other characters. Once I get gear though, 1v1 I'm able to down almost anyone.

Malphite ftw!!!

ArchReaper

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPlague View Post
Thanks for this guide. I've usually played Malphite defensively, stacking armour and magic resist, works better at tanking than pure hp build.
Anyways, I tried this build as dps, and found it extremely potent. Once you get Infinities Edge, man the crits come rolling in.
Early game though, I'm a lot less potent than some other characters. Once I get gear though, 1v1 I'm able to down almost anyone.

Malphite ftw!!!
I'm glad my guide helped Early game is really about farming until you hit 6, at which point you are GG in ganks, just not quite as much in 1v1 until the inf edge.

money money loot

11-21-2009

I'm a noob.. and I just tried this build only to go 8/4/8.
While this is probably lame for you guys, it speaks volumes considering my ability.
A very fun build. I went with the W maxed out before Ground slam but got ground slam kinda early anyway (might not do this in the future.)
A very fun Malphite, and while Malphite used to be my favorite champion due to his tanking abilities, I will probably play this build as much if not more than the tank.

AFKray

11-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchReaper View Post
So this is a mini-guide for making a near-unstoppable DPS Malphite.

Malphite is one of the more underplayed champions in the game (unfortunately) so I wanted to bring to light how much I dominate with him, it seems to still surprise people occasionally. He really is a godly hero.

Feel free to leave comments/questions/criticism. I have played Malphite a lot and have experimented with many skill/rune/item builds, and this is by far the best.
After reading your first sentence and you even mentioning the word "underplayed" makes me believe that I can't even read this seriously as you obviously haven't come close to playing against what would be deemed "good" players. Malph is up there as one of the most played champs in the game, up there with Teemo and CM. Post-nerf he still is quite the tank and all his skills certainly support it. I would honestly love to play this Malph of yours and crush it to the point you reconsider your thinking. The "dps" version of Malph is only really good when you are maxed with items, just like any hero really. Malph is still (debateable ) the best initiator in the game and not utilizing a tank build is simply hurting your team in the long run. I've seen attempts at dps Malphs and they all get crushed early on and continue to do so later.

Xinil

The Council

11-21-2009

Just so everyone knows, this guide is not something you should follow, ever. Malphite is NOT a physical damage hero. Do not ever get infinity edge, or anything that adds atk power for Malphite.

Short and to the point: armor, HP, magic resist.

ARLEX

Recruiter

12-08-2009

hey man this guide really improved my game im doing so much better now. one thing i wanted to say is whenever i play i find myself running low on mana. so i went to a practice game and looked for items that could help me and i found dorans ring its a great starting item boosts your health by 130, it raises your mana regen by 5 per second, and increases your ability power by 10. then i looked through attack speed and saw a sword called stinger. also great it +20% Attack Speed +5 Mana Regeneration per 5 UNIQUE Passive: Reduces ability cooldowns by 10%. but it has an upgrade called nashors tooth and its stats are +30% Attack Speed +55 Ability Power +10 Mana Regeneration per 5 UNIQUE Passive: Reduces ability cooldowns by 20%, and this helped me destroy minions turrets and even champions so fast
to find these items in the shop go to,

doran's ring (click magic then mana regen and its one of the first few)
stinger/nashor's tooth (click attack then attack speed and te first one is near the beginning)

and then i like to get the berserkers greaves they do +25% Attack Speed UNIQUE Passive: Enhanced Movement
also phage/frozen mallet helps well thx for the guide hope this helps

ArchReaper

12-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinil View Post
Just so everyone knows, this guide is not something you should follow, ever. Malphite is NOT a physical damage hero. Do not ever get infinity edge, or anything that adds atk power for Malphite.

Short and to the point: armor, HP, magic resist.
Just so everyone knows, I've tried both, and I dominate pretty well with damage Malphite. I'm not sure who you've been playing against but please leave your "this entire guide is pointless" comments out of it without any backup. The only thing that makes Malphite even reasonable as a potential tank is his passive. It works, and he's not bad as a tank, but I've yet to go negative kdr with damage Malphite. (playing normal/practice vs pubs/premade/anyone)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFKush View Post
After reading your first sentence and you even mentioning the word "underplayed" makes me believe that I can't even read this seriously as you obviously haven't come close to playing against what would be deemed "good" players. Malph is up there as one of the most played champs in the game, up there with Teemo and CM. Post-nerf he still is quite the tank and all his skills certainly support it. I would honestly love to play this Malph of yours and crush it to the point you reconsider your thinking. The "dps" version of Malph is only really good when you are maxed with items, just like any hero really. Malph is still (debateable ) the best initiator in the game and not utilizing a tank build is simply hurting your team in the long run. I've seen attempts at dps Malphs and they all get crushed early on and continue to do so later.
Before you comment please note the date of this post, as I made this thread during the closed beta, where he WAS an underplayed hero. Just because you've never played a decent DPS Malphite does not mean it doesn't work.