League of Legends and DotA 2

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aircross

04-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezgul View Post
Most LoL players see League as innovating upon the original idea that was DotA. They kept the good, got rid of the bad. DotA 2, on the otherhand, kept everything. People like to throw fits about stuff they have gripes with.

That's my take on the situation, at least.
Care to list out what these "bad" things are? I could justify why they are important in Dota and not just "stupid mechanics that make the game needlessly harder".

Lance Eliot

04-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falleth View Post
It was.
You know what... I'll let you live in that delusional world of yours.

MrAnomaly

04-25-2012

The main difference I see between the two games is the concept of META gaming, or rather, how strict and important it is.

Personally, I despise meta-gaming. It is simple (as in brainless, not ease-of-use), leaves no room for being unique/ experimenting, and causes the community to troll and whine when someone tries to be unique.

What I mean by unique is, quite simply, every hero has a set item build they seem to be "required" to have, and a set position and play-style, and if you try to do anything different (here is where the "unique" part comes in), you are automatically a "noob" (or any other variant) and are trolled to death before you even have an opportunity to prove its effectiveness.

LoL = 98% Meta. Thus usually it goes like this: Google your hero to find the best item build possible, and always do that build until a patch changes his stats to make the game balanced again (because with the rate at which Riot releases new heroes, the game is rarely ever balanced in terms of hero capabilities; though, in their favor it is hard to expect that out of a fairly small company trying something so ambitious, but that means they should probably slow down a bit and be more realistic, so it's still kind of their fault), and always go the same lane or jungle, and always do the same exact this and same exact that, every game, and so on.

While DOTA 2 (I am a beta tester, and have a key already) does have a slight Meta game, it is definitely nowhere near as strict as LoL, very situational and it makes the game all around much more adaptable for those who want the freedom to discover their own builds that will rape depending on the situation. So while, yes, there are tanky STR heroes and squishy INT heroes, most of the heroes can take on somewhat universal roles. There isn't really a situation where a more skilled player can't beat someone who is using a hero with an "edge" over theirs.

LoL on the other hand, certain heroes simply kill other certain heroes, period. With that, and the Meta-style, this "FORCES" unprecedented teamwork in a game that uses a 1v1 (or more accurately, individual-based) scoring system to determine its ranking (I always did find this funny). While some people may see teamwork as a plus - I agree!

But here's the thing, you still MUST have teamwork in DOTA. But Eul, the frozen amphibian (IceFrog), and currently Valve, managed to make it so that while death has a consequence (loss of gold), this affects other players too so you may fall behind, but you will force the other team to fall behind as well if you work together and single someone out (making it easily possible to catch up from falling behind as well). Due to this, even with individually skilled players on each side, it is very possible to win a 4v5 or even 3v5 match if you work together coherently (as well as being possible for an individual to turn the tides of a game, based on skill rather than hero stats/capabilities), which causes the game to not REQUIRE teamwork so much as INSPIRE it. While you can say the same thing for LoL (or any other MP game), the difference comes to those who experience it, so it is hard to put into words. But the main thing is that in LoL, probability wise, if you have a lamer not doing his "job" (there's that META concept again), unless he leaves the game and makes it a 4v5 (so that he doesn't feed), he will end up food and he will cripple your team, and there is a VERY high chance you will lose, with really the only possible way of winning being one of your good players is using a snowballing carry (you know, the carries that seem to be able to kill anything, easily).

But on top of the huge difference in META fundamentals, DOTA has a much improved (not improved over LoL, just to clarify, I mean improved over what it was a few months ago) interface from the early Beta days and improved skill keys, etc. as well as some AWESOME things such as the ability to join any game in progress as a spectator (simply press "WATCH" at the top, and join any game you choose - there is a timer that shows how long the game has been going on), as well as the ability to download the recording of your game after it ends and watch it as a Replay.

My 2 pennies.

While I enjoyed LoL for a time, the super strict META gaming (super-strict doesn't mean too hard in this case, it means too boring, for me anyway, and forced) and the type of community this created turned me off of the game a while back, and since then I haven't had any fun, really. It almost stopped being a "game" and became a "job" itself. So I moved on.

If you are like me and enjoy freedom, can get used to a plethora of different items and build possibilities quickly enough (can be intimidating at first if you are new to DOTA) and enjoy a good community of old players who want to help more and complain WAY less, I would go with DOTA 2.

If you are someone who appreciates roles a lot, and are a meta-gamer in general (raids in MMOs, etc.) who would rather discover the 1 build that works best and stick with that, with a simpler interface and shop setup (I am not saying "simpler" as an insult, some people prefer certain things more simple) then LoL is more your type of game.

Don't look at the two games as competing with each other and you have to pick one or the other (it's absolutely ridiculous that the Marketting Industry has forced this way of thinking into people's minds). Instead, see the two games as separate, but similar alternatives to one another. You can easily enjoy both for different reasons. In some cases, like mine, one becomes a preference.

Be easy.

SaT Havoc

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-25-2012

Mostly because most of them never played dota or dota2 so they immediately think it's ****. I had a similar perception about HoN, but i played it and I love it, it's the reason i'm where i'm at in Dota2 :P

poe tay toes

04-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaT Havoc View Post
Mostly because most of them never played dota or dota2 so they immediately think it's ****. I had a similar perception about HoN, but i played it and I love it, it's the reason i'm where i'm at in Dota2 :P
but that doesn't explain people like me, who played dota for a long time, were good at it, and think it needed more than a graphic rehash to make it worth going back to.

SaT Havoc

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-25-2012

not everyone is the same, there are certain aspects of the games that agree with some people and some things that don't agree with everyone else.

It's like the Starburst arguement, some people hate the purple ones but others think purple is the best.

Point being is Dota/dota2 something about them just doesn't feel right but League just clicks more for you whether it's the graphics or whatever. But people take it to the next level, if they don't enjoy something, it's automatically a bad game in their mind which is so far from the truth.

Me I enjoy all the moba games.

Next

04-25-2012

their just mad its too hard for them thats all.

c4lm

04-25-2012

For me it's simple.

League feels like a much more juvenile game.

It's a stretch to call it an 'innovation' of DotA.

Essentially what LoL did was remove the mechanics of DotA that gave it complexity, such as strict mana management, terrain elevation(fog of war mechanics) and the notorious denying.

It's a much more forgiving game than DotA with far less diverse/complex champions. It's also more knowledge based than LoL. Knowing that exact mana cost on VS's magic missile is not an uncommon thing. Do you know the exact mana cost of leonas stun?

That being said, it's nice to play a game that doesn't have such a huge skill ceiling, and know that if you practice a lot you can make it to high-er level play.

My main peeve between the games, which ultimately makes me lean more towards dota, are the graphics.

Yes League is colorful, but I just can't help but find the graphics and textures to be primitive. Compare trees in League to trees in dota, huge difference. Even warcraft 3 trees look more realistic. Outside of trees, things like champion textures and ability animations all look far more realistic in DotA. There is a much larger emphasis on aesthetics in dota, and for someone who likes polish as much as I do, that's important.

Kazémandias

04-26-2012

Let me tell you something Akiiru, LoL is the worst ever game out of both HoN and DotA. Reasons why are:

- Bad community with a crappy report system aka the Tribunal (merely 80% of it is filled with trolls, QQs, flamers, and teenage tryhards).
- Not even competitive at all (this game is for teh noobs). Both HoN and DotA are much harder due to the fact that summoner spells are not present and harder champ base stats. In fact, different playing styles will need to be used.
- Riot is making this game look like a children's game and a joke (eg Summoner Showcase **** -they don't even know what dubstep really sounds like-)
- Lots of butthurt players arguing about what roles they want to play when they're last pick.
- TOO MANY BUFFZORZ & NERFZORZ!!!! When will it ever stop?
- Where's our Magma Chamber and 3D Mode?
- Servers are unstable.
- Graphics are the crappiest out of both. Hell there isn't even an integrated voice chat system. How is that fun?

I find DotA 2 and HoN so much better, not because it's harder, but there's a different skill level involved as well as a higher level of competency. League is nowhere near better than MOBA standards, in my opinion.

Falleth

04-26-2012

Quote:
LoL is the worst ever game out of both HoN and DotA. Reasons why are
-you are there

Quote:
and 3D Mode
and you are SUPER retarded.

Quote:
How is that fun?
How is VOIP fun when 12 yo ****ers yell at everyone all the time?