[Guide] Morgana - a Comprehensive Guide to Gameplay and Strategy

12345678 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Witch Bernkastel

08-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eviant View Post
Edit: Just wanted to mention, I like the build for summoner spells. A quick Question though. If no one picks Tele, should I go with Tele as a summoner spell or Clairovoyance? I keep Clarity as it allows me to hold off on Nearly all Mana regen items, save for those already in my build. (Plus it's nice to use Clarity on someone trying to gank you, and watching their rages in chat after you slaughter them XD) Reason for asking is, I always did have a hard time figuring out the second summoner spell, and I like both of your suggestions lol
I know I put a lot of stress on always always always grabbing Teleport, but I personally will have to suggest Clairvoyance over it, as Clairvoyance is much more versatile and much more readily available. This is my own personal bias, of course, but I find that even the significant advantage of mobility that Teleport provides just can't live up to the supportive capabilities of Clairvoyance in the hands with someone that has good intuition and always has an eye on the minimap for MIAs and where they'll likely be.

On a side note, and especially if your build grabs a Mana Manipulator early, I must recommend against Clarity. With the aid of Masteries and Runes, Morgana doesn't tend to have any trouble with mana unless you're getting very trigger-happy with the Tormented Soils. Conservative, but well-aimed placement of Soils on enemy creep/champion formations at a rate of one, maybe two per wave is almost always sufficient to both keep your health up and keep you from being overwhelmed, and with my particular rune/mastery build, you can have the mana spent on your Soil easily regenerated and then some by the time the next wave comes.

Of course, if your lane opponent/s are invading your personal space a bit too much and you find yourself having to cast an unusually high number of Binds to get them off your back, that could be a different story, but in that case, it's still usually better to simply reposition yourself further away and continue to snipe creep waves with Soil. Like I said, you can cast Soil from outside range of virtually any possible harassment, so there's no reason to be even remotely close to your enemies during the early laning/farming phase.

Never Knows Best

08-08-2010

another possibility for tank morgana. Yes its a little out dated but it still works

http://www.leagueoflegends-wiki.com/...ron-angel-guid

Witch Bernkastel

08-09-2010

For a long time, I followed SmecssRaege's Iron Angel guide - it was actually the first build for Morgana I used, and the one that really sold me on Tank vs. AP Morgana. I believe it is a firm build suggestion, and is worth looking into as a good alternative if you're not sold on my build - I'm certainly not about to say my way is better, and SmecssRaege's build is in fact the one that I based my tank build off of, or at least used as a reference and starting point.

zebano

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-09-2010

I played a marathon of a game as morg yesterday and after starting AP built towards tank because of the way the other team was stacking HP/MR.
0. Doran's ring (sold latter)
1. Sorc Shoes
2. RoA
3. DfG
4. Banshee's (they had 4 people with CC).
5.Abyssal
6. Frozen Heart
I had 5K gold at end games and we had one protracted fight where I ulted twice (in their base so they kept healing).

It worked well but not graet I would rather have another AP items if I did it again rather than FH.

Merana

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-09-2010

What do you think of Mejai's on Morgana? You only need 6-7 stacks to make it efficient, and that's not hard at all to maintain as Morgana considering your inherent survivability and ability to get assists on pretty much everything. It also gives you a nice AP boost early for a low cost while you build more toward survivability. And if you have a good duo queue combo going on with amumu or somesuch your ult does a crushing amount of damage if they eat both ticks, so a decently stacked mejai's mid game can win team fights for you if you get both ticks off.

I should mention that I run Ghost/Teleport as summoner spells. But I ward a lot so not having clairvoyance isn't too big of a loss. Plus with movement 2 boots and a MS quint or two you can often ghost across half the map as fast as you could teleport. Giving you the utility of teleport x2 with the ability to also use it to escape.

Any reason why you use flat mana regen yellows though? They are only more efficient than regen/level runes for level 1-3, where you will not even have enough skills/fast enough cooldowns to really burn through all your mana anyways.

Witch Bernkastel

08-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merana View Post
What do you think of Mejai's on Morgana? You only need 6-7 stacks to make it efficient, and that's not hard at all to maintain as Morgana considering your inherent survivability and ability to get assists on pretty much everything. It also gives you a nice AP boost early for a low cost while you build more toward survivability. And if you have a good duo queue combo going on with amumu or somesuch your ult does a crushing amount of damage if they eat both ticks, so a decently stacked mejai's mid game can win team fights for you if you get both ticks off.

I should mention that I run Ghost/Teleport as summoner spells. But I ward a lot so not having clairvoyance isn't too big of a loss. Plus with movement 2 boots and a MS quint or two you can often ghost across half the map as fast as you could teleport. Giving you the utility of teleport x2 with the ability to also use it to escape.

Any reason why you use flat mana regen yellows though? They are only more efficient than regen/level runes for level 1-3, where you will not even have enough skills/fast enough cooldowns to really burn through all your mana anyways.
Regarding Mejai's, I tend to avoid it (and all other similar 'snowballing' items) unless I'm getting a strong sense that I am significantly better than the other team. The main reason for this is that while yes, Mejai's is unusually easy for Morgana to build thanks to her relative 'safety' in most situations, it also affects a decent enemy team's gameplay. Grab a Mejai's, and most decent teams will quickly notice and begin to work together to make your life a living hell. Also, every gold spent building Mejai's is gold not spent on the items you actually need to play effectively - it just sets you behind, for a risky return.

That being said, if you're feeling a little adventurous, it may be worthwhile to pick up a Mejai's if you are going with the Support-Tank build of Morgana. AP Morgana with a Mejai's is just screaming to get focused down and can be killed in very short order, whereas grabbing a Mejai's as a Support Tank may be beneficial for the same reason - you're performing your duty of keeping the heat off your team carries by being a desirable target, throwing out some actual damage despite being built for tank, and, most importantly, you'll be much more likely to actually survive getting focused down than if you were AP.

Overall, I'd say that Mejai's is fun to play with for random pubstomps where you can safely say that you're obviously more skilled than your opponents, but I never like to assume that, and Mejai's attracts way too much unwanted attention for me. I feel that gold dangerously spent on something that may become useless if the enemy sees it and also detracts from/delays your core build is generally not a good idea. Remember, if they're putting conscious effort into focusing you down, you're probably dying more than usual, and that means your spending more time unable to properly support your team than you should be.

Regarding the Flat vs. Scaling Mana Regen seals, I honestly haven't looked into some of the finer numbers. If it is indeed true that the scaling Mana Regen seals produce a greater effect than the flat ones as early as level 3, then I will most definitely change my seal recommendations to reflect that. Morgana doesn't start to get mana-intensive until level 5 anyways, when your Tormented Soil starts to kill caster creeps in one shot, but also begins to make significant dents in your mana pool.

In fact, the same thing goes for the CDR glyphs. if the scaling glyphs become more effective than the flat ones as early as level 3-5, I'd say there's almost no question as to which one to choose, no matter what. The less gold you have to spend on CDR, the better.

PurePyramid

08-10-2010

A very nice guide!

yellowfrog

08-10-2010

mp/5 runes are much better scaling, I think it surpasses at level 5.
CDR is better flat, it surpasses at 13.

I like using Mejai, and yeah once you get stacks up there they will want you dead. On a good team, Morgana will be racking up assists like crazy. If Morgana is carrying, she's going to be doing all the killing. After core build of Tears, Sorc shoes, Mejai, DFG, I start to build survival items like GA or ROA.

Serenia23

08-11-2010

I've been playing Kayle *ALOT* recently, and believe it or not, I've found your guide to be helpful for Kayle as well. Morgana and Kayle do have a similar play style then again I guess thats no real surprise after all, they are sisters. Anyway that being said, I actually have noticed a significant difference in my Mana Regen with Mana Regen/level seals, around level 4, they're +0.4 mana regen/5 which is just .01 mp less than the flat ones, so at level 5 they're better so you can only imagine what level 18'd be like. Kayle has very little mana, so I do tend to notice the regen a bit more.

That being said, I love the feeling I get when I use my Intervention and save my team mates ass and hear them go "OMG Kayle I love you!" XD ^^- sooo fun. Only draw back is my crappy computer though, sometimes the frame rate lags hard and it makes it difficult to target the right person >.<

Witch Bernkastel

08-12-2010

After doing a few games with scaling Mana/5 seals, I've decided to go with those instead of the flat ones, and have reflected that in the guide. Minor update, but an update nonetheless.

On another note, I'll have another update in the near future to add the cooldowns of Morgana's skills at all levels to the skill section.

12345678 ... 10