Locked Camera Discussion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fox P McCloud

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

04-16-2012

I still don't understand allowing the map to be flipped--I've played with the camera unlocked from day 1, and still find playing bot lane as an AD carry on purple far more irritating than bot lane as the blue team.

Why can't it be flipped? It's still possible to maintain the jungle layout, etc.

How is it going to create communication problems? People use terms like "tri-bush", "top", "mid"..if it's mirrored, then all of this is the same---bot is still bot, mid is still mid, and top is still top....dragon is still dragon, etc....what's the issue? =/

See attached; everything is the same (as far as lane orientation goes)...how could there possibly be miscommunication?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kai Talakki

Member

04-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
I don't think you understand, when you play with locked camera the camera angle makes it so that you see more above you on the screen than below. So even as blue you are going to face the same viewing angle problems as purple if you approach as fight from top to bottom. For example, if you're taking baron or the purple jungle and a fight breaks out at your blue, you will be approaching the fight from purple side and still face visibility problems. This is another reason why I don't believe flipping the camera is a good solution. It just hides the problem most of the time.
I have never found a problem when approaching team fights from the top on blue, the problem I have when playing on purple team happens specifically when I play mid lane. In the early game, with a locked camera, I cannot see the enemy champion lining up for a skillshot or trying to sneak into a position to launch an attack. I tried playing with an unlocked camera to fix this, but all this caused to happen was flinging the camera wildly off course when trying to line up a skillshot or quickly get away. I play Ahri a lot, so Spirit Rushing in and then trying to line up a charm or orb of deception ends up with me throwing the camera halfway down the lane and then dying because I can't see what's happening to my champion. I do not have the finger dexterity to quickly hit Y in time when this happens, and as I have short fingers, to be able to hit Y I have to completely remove my fingers from the QWER position or try to awkwardly pull my thumb up which causes my fingers to slip from their position anyway. I find similar problems when trying to run away, especially if I use Spirit Rush and then try to throw Charm behind me to slow them down. The unlocked camera resulted in a lot of unnecessary death, but having the camera locked meant I couldn't see my opponent lining up to attack, which would cause me to die anyway. When playing on purple in mid I feel like I'm in an impossible situation where no matter what I do I end up dying, which creates a miserable experience. I find no problem when being in other lanes and having a locked camera, but the placement of the UI makes the early game in mid lane a very unfun experience.

I also have to agree that I don't think the camera should be flipped for purple. That would be far too disorienting, and no fix for locked camera users should affect those that use an unlocked camera. I really do however feel that the camera's position should be shifted down slightly for purple. Giving purple AND blue the same locked camera viewing range means that there's no unfairness in how much blue or purple can see in front or behind them with the locked camera.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sedgitize

Junior Member

04-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarckness View Post
This is a question that relates to some of the issues listed here.

Why cant we just zoom out the camera more?

Wouldn't that make a lot these issues go away?
Or would that make it more unfair for people with bigger monitors?
This is my biggest question. It seems like the simplest and best fix for the majority of these issues.

Boourns posted above that we should ask Morello, though I know not how to contact him or where he dwells on the forums.

I don't see how it would benefit people with better monitors significantly more. People with ****ty monitors would still get the sight. It wouldn't have to be a vast increase... just enough so we can zoom out to a range where we can see our full ability range (Not necessary for Lux/GP/Pantheon Ults obviously)

Even in unlocked, it sucks that I can see so little of the map during some crucial times... like when we're in a teamfight and expecting a gank...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kikhan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

04-16-2012

As a person who plays on a lap top I play on uneven surfaces alot. This tends to make free camera a little dangerous for me and my team at times. I of course unlock it numerous times during the game especially when playing someone with global ults.

I would really love either a hot key for unlocking and locking the camera over just holding down the space bar or like the accidental release a couple patches ago of being able to just left click the map and go to that spot on my screen. Either of these would be huge imo and would make the locked screen players a little more viable.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fox P McCloud

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

04-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Talakki View Post
I also have to agree that I don't think the camera should be flipped for purple. That would be far too disorienting,
How so? If it was an option, you wouldn't have to deal with it if you didn't like it. Likewise, the lane orientation is the same, which is the most important thing "going mid/top/bot"....for everything else, people use terms that are universally recognizable (tri-bush, dragon, baron...our blue, their blue, etc).


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kai Talakki

Member

04-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox P McCloud View Post
How so? If it was an option, you wouldn't have to deal with it if you didn't like it. Likewise, the lane orientation is the same, which is the most important thing "going mid/top/bot"....for everything else, people use terms that are universally recognizable (tri-bush, dragon, baron...our blue, their blue, etc).
Okay, for me personally it would be disorienting, because what I'm seeing is not actually what the map's orientation is. And "if you don't like it don't use it" doesn't really work as a solution here, because someone who doesn't like the idea of a flipped camera but likes using locked camera will still have the same problem. It's a weak fix in my opinion when shifting the camera's position for locked camera would be much better solution, and wouldn't give either side a viewing range advantage.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hugo Mann

Senior Member

04-16-2012

Yeah, Boourns, I definitely have to lock the camera at the start of every single match. I'm not sure what you're doing differently.

I play locked probably about 90% of the game, unlocking for long range skills or to observe events elsewhere on the map. The problem I have with playing unlocked is I feel like I'm not aware of what is going on immediately around me. I think for me it's because I've played a lot of FPS games and sports games I'm so used to being the focus of the camera that it feels bad to need to manage a camera on top of everything else. I know a lot of other players don't have this hangup but it bothers me a lot.

I understand the situation doesn't have a perfect solution but there are other things compounding the issue. One thing that comes to mind is why does there have to be terrain behind the HUD? Can the viewable area not be set up so that the actual view is being squeezed in between top and bottom parts of the HUD? (Think black bars when viewing a widescreen movie on a 4:3 TV.) Wouldn't this present an opportunity to standardize viewable area across all resolutions?

I hope you figure out a solution so players like myself can be a bit more comfortable dealing with the camera.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MrWish

Senior Member

04-16-2012

The purple side is definitely a problem and i disagree that its only for a small portion of LoL because i am a top elo of 2.1k and i use locked only because its just what im used to and i find it very unfair on purple side , obviously all sides of argument have to be considered but there is a significant portion that uses locked and there has to be a fix in some manner.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Glurmo

Junior Member

04-16-2012

As an alternative to flipping the map... what about rotating the map 90 clockwise for the purple team. The purple team will head from the bottom right to the top left. Top lane is still top, dragon is still bottom. We can already flip the minimap from left to right. This will give the purple and blue sides a very similar field of vision, but still have the purple siding heading in a different direction.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Arcolyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

04-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
That's what I see when I do it on my machine. If you can reproduce this not happening I would very much like to know! That's a bug and would affect our stat collection.

Specifically we look for LockCamera=1 in your game.cfg in the config/ directory of your install. I had QA check that this gets set correctly when we were pulling the stats for locked camera, but if you can find cases where this is broken please give us a set of steps to reproduce it.

If for some reason you always switch off locked camera by pressing 'y' before exiting, we would not know you were using locked camera during the game. However that also suggests that you are successfully using an unlocked camera...
I can say with extreme confidance that I and the 2 other players of this household have ALWAYS needed to lock the camera at the begining of every game, since ever. its been installed no less than 12 times for various issues, PBE, (6 different rigs) and this has ALWAYS been the case. Also, when we go to the local LAN place, same there after intial game of getting everything just so, we have to lock it, every single game. (obviously more anecdotal, but still we have been on 18+ computers there, never had it work as you imply)

Also, if there was some kind of beam of light or special outline that was only around your champion, that would make using unlocked easier. I usually use ulocked in laning but locked almost every other time