Locked Camera Discussion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

aaFen

04-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
I don't think I can disclose exact stats numbers, but I can tell you it is nowhere near 50/50 when we look at players who have the option for locked camera set on their computer. It's far, far less. A fraction of the size of our colorblind population in fact. Unfortunately, this makes it hard to lobby for changes which would change the experience for the vast majority of other players.

Also, as an aside, this is why we generally can't use forum polls as data for decision making (other than to find out interesting ideas from our players). Only a small part of our players actively participate in the forum and they select themselves which adds bias. Further, the ones that participate in a poll are even more self-selected because they must be interested in the topic in some way to even get into the post. Finally, they are probably biased to agree with the post for the same reason if they vote unless it is a very contentious issue. People who don't care likely won't vote or even read the post. So, while the poll that you refer to about camera changes indicates that people want the idea, it is likely that it only represents a small group of people... people who play with locked camera and want changes to the camera system.
There's an option to have it lock automatically every match? I always just press Y when the match starts. Also, for whatever it's worth, I don't entirely play with locked. I hate the feeling of holding down space bar, so I keep it locked until I need to unlock it (for a skillshot or to check somewhere on the map). It's very quick and easy to tap Y, click, and then tap Y again. I've seen that Dyrus does something very similar.

Best Atheist NA

04-14-2012

Quote:
I don't think I can disclose exact stats numbers, but I can tell you it is nowhere near 50/50 when we look at players who have the option for locked camera set on their computer. It's far, far less.
Wait, what? I don't see any option to have locked camera on by default. When I start a game, I have to hit 'Y' to enable it. So I'm slightly confused about your data when you're looking at people who have camera locked set by default.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalafai View Post
I use locked camera... maybe I don't show up in your stats at that because I haven't found the option to change that on my side, I just toggle it at the start of the game.
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. If they're collecting camera lock data by looking at who has it set to lock by default, I'd like to know how to do that myself, because I know I'm not showing up in the data as a camera lock user either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaFen View Post
There's an option to have it lock automatically every match? I always just press Y when the match starts.
Lol I know, right?

alaskaneagle

04-15-2012

I read most. This stuck out right away though and I'd like to know Why...

""I don't think changes to camera angle or fov are likely to pass muster either, we limit zoom out and control the view angle so players with the money to buy larger monitors/faster video cards/higher resolution don't have an advantage.""

How would this benefit a more expensive screen more than a low cost screen (and cards and res). I don't get how it'll help one set of people more than another could you please expand on this?

Also I don't see how making both teams have the perception of moving up would hurt the game at all. It can't be all that difficult to do since all other games like this I"ve played do it already.

And the easiest idea I've seen to fix it is making a hot key that you can set at the begining of every game to align the screen a certain distance from your champ. Basically instead of centering on your champ have it center where you pick (I'd pick above my champ to the left when playing bot, above to the right on top so I can either see the enemies hovering just below the camera who are hitting me or the turret who's range is farther than I can see)

I'd also be a bit disturbed by the statistic of how many people play with screens unlocked vs. locked. Beginners tend to play locked. If the majority of your new players are just smurf accounts it means your company might not be attracting enough new people. I point this out since I've seen this trend kill games before.

IS1dcd9a4f2ff9a3

04-15-2012

Quote:
I wish i saw an easy answer to this, but it seems like what people really want is some kind of view that follows their champion and also keeps the part of the action they're interested on screen as well. That's pretty hard to get right since we can't read your intentions.
Yes, we can!
Oh, it was already posted in 7...

Nevertheless, DO IT! At least try it internally. It is super awesome!
And, no, it does not require the game to be line targeting-based and such. Exact targeting will not become much harder.
Actually, if the camera is centered midway between your champion and your cursor, then to move cursor to a specific point/unit on a screen, you should move the mouse JUST as you would with free camera, only 2x less distance.

Honestly, I haven't played Dead Space, but a similar system is implemented in Bloodline Champions (It's F2P, you can get it at http://www.bloodlinechampions.com/ Hope, links to other games are not prohibited on this forum).
There're indeed not much unit-targeted spells, but plenty of AoEs which you want to place perfectly, and it turns out to be not hard at all!

Oh it was mentioned too.. A long post you have there..
Quote:
this would be interesting to experiment with, could be really disorienting if done wrong and what would happen if you try to move outside the range of view? I guess maybe it just stops you...
The farthest you can look - is when your champion is at one corner of your screen, your cursor is at another, and the camera is centered inbetween them. And you cannot look further this way, because you cannot move your cursor out of the screen. So basically, it allows 4x greater field of view than fixed camera!
What happens when you try to free-look via map? I think it will behave the same way as it is now with fixed camera.

So, please, at least try implementing and using it in the office for some 30-40 minutes (it takes some time to get used to)! It should be awesome!

As a sidenote - I play with free camera, but if you implement this ('smart camera') I will be using it exclusively, I promise!

alaskaneagle

04-16-2012

I really like the idea of having a hotkey you can set to orient the screen similair to hitting space bar except in a spot you designate in relation to your champ.

boourns

UI Designer

04-16-2012
3 of 82 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosBloodterfly View Post
On #11, is faking an eyefinity setup/messing with screen resolutions bannable (no zoom hacks, just config edits)? You can set resolution in the config.ini file. If you have a 1920x 1080 monitor, you gain a significant amount of view by setting the resolution to something like 1920x 640.
No, we currently wouldn't ban you for that. Zoomhacks are bannable though of course.

boourns

UI Designer

04-16-2012
4 of 82 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcup View Post
Wait, what? I don't see any option to have locked camera on by default. When I start a game, I have to hit 'Y' to enable it. So I'm slightly confused about your data when you're looking at people who have camera locked set by default.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. If they're collecting camera lock data by looking at who has it set to lock by default, I'd like to know how to do that myself, because I know I'm not showing up in the data as a camera lock user either.

Lol I know, right?
If you have locked camera on when you exit the game it will still be on when you join your next one. I just tested again to make sure.

Varitul

04-16-2012

Quote:
If you have locked camera on when you exit the game it will still be on when you join your next one. I just tested again to make sure.
That doesn't seem right to me, but meh. I played locked consistently, yet I do have to lock pretty often at the start of a new game. I dont see why I would unlock at the end though. but if you say so, I'd take your work on it.

boourns

UI Designer

04-16-2012
5 of 82 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varitul View Post
That doesn't seem right to me, but meh. I played locked consistently, yet I do have to lock pretty often at the start of a new game. I dont see why I would unlock at the end though. but if you say so, I'd take your work on it.
That's what I see when I do it on my machine. If you can reproduce this not happening I would very much like to know! That's a bug and would affect our stat collection.

Specifically we look for LockCamera=1 in your game.cfg in the config/ directory of your install. I had QA check that this gets set correctly when we were pulling the stats for locked camera, but if you can find cases where this is broken please give us a set of steps to reproduce it.

If for some reason you always switch off locked camera by pressing 'y' before exiting, we would not know you were using locked camera during the game. However that also suggests that you are successfully using an unlocked camera...

Catches Axes

04-16-2012

Just throwing this out there, but the ONLY reason I would (and have) considered using locked camera is because when the VFX start flying in a team fight, I often lose track of my champ. Locked camera would solve that for me.

I don't use it because there are too many other associated problems with it, but I'll say this: if you gave me a big **** glowing arrow or beam of light pointing straight at MY champ all the time, I'd never even consider it ever again.

And I mean a really, really, super obvious thing, here. Not something subtle like a different color on my health bar.