Change Camera Lock (Y) to Center Camera On Champion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Killers297

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniello View Post
or you could add some other mode such as:

Mobile locked camera mode:

When on your camera moves as your champion moves (like locked camera), but you can move your camera by moving your mouse at the border of your screen (like unlocked camera) and your camera will still move as your champs move, just your champ wont be at the center of screen, but the camera can follow him even if it is at a corner.

This is only one compromise, you can read this too:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...0#post12761830
i want this

ZiPS

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-11-2012

Hey boourns, with how Varus's Q functions when smart casting (hold to charge, release to fire, if I'm wrong disregard me), would it be possible to set once button to control camera functions so that simply pressing the button would (un)lock the camera relative to your champion's position, while holding it down would center the camera over your champ (and lock it?).

Sanjio

04-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Communication is just one reason why I don't consider it a good solution. I list some other ones in the same reply that you quoted.

Having seen the stats on locked camera usage it's a very small number of people. I would not consider impeding communication or making our *entire* community change how they refer to things in the game a good fix for this issue.

I'll only be posting in this thread to keep information about this topic centralized in one place. I read the other threads, but I haven't seen any new information to comment on in them that I haven't addressed in this thread.

If someone were to make a new thread compiling everything I've posted here, I would be very grateful! <hint> <hint>
Except my point had nothing to do with locked camera views & neither does the camera angle petition thread. Its about mirroring purple team to have the same view & angle as blue team. So tell me what does "locked camera usage stats" have to do with it?

Riot has been aware of the fact that its more difficult to play on purple team am I correct? So much so that purple team minions are slightly stronger than blue? as well as having higher ELO players play on purple? Yea it serves its purpose & involved much less time to "balance" but I fail to see why a generic fix like that was better than providing true balance by flipping the camera for purple team. If not a full mirror then even adjusting the map from left to right like treeline & crystal is a better solution than current.

Sedgitize

04-12-2012

Quote:
Let me be very clear and state that we are not looking at removing locked camera as an option.

What I said was that we should not use it as a *default*. As I said in my follow up post: I would prefer to make non-camera locked play easier to learn for all players.

There are many gameplay reasons why you don't want to lock the camera to your player. This is less of an issue on some champions, but even still you ideally want to be able to focus on the action in a team fight no matter what your positioning.

As UI designers we want to help players become masters of the game. I believe that being able to comfortably use a free camera is part of that. I'm open to hearing arguments why that is not the case *if* free camera was very easy to use.
As of now I believe that the absolute best way to overcome the issues with playing with unlocked camera is simply to get an expensive gaming mouse that would let you scroll around the map. As such, it's somewhat similar to a FPS player with Modified Controller.

Unlocking the camera also gives you vision of where your abilities can be, but it makes it more difficult to control your champion, as you need to scroll around your screen to the target, leaving you without a clue of whats going on 2 inches behind your champion, which means its easy to get ganked.

Locked camera is simply easier, and therefore better, and an advantage if you have the vision to see what's going on. Blue clearly has an advantage because they can lock camera and still pull off abilities with massive ranges. Purple however, suffers for this disadvantage, and though I've seen that the developers have tried quite hard to find other ways to counteract this, it simply isn't enough.

All you have to do is either uncap the maximum camera zoom, or allow the idea for the different camera angles, and the game will be so much more balanced! I really don't understand the reasoning in avoiding these two options.

The issue here is not that people are bad because they aren't as good at using the unlocked camera. The issue is that unlocked camera is more difficult to use and only one side can use a locked camera and perform well, with many of the champions. This is unbalanced, as one team gets the opportunity to use the easier (and therefore advantageous) camera option and perform unhindered.

Quote:
I don't think you understand my point about team communication, if you mirror the map directions for up/down/left/right are no longer consistent for people in the same game. Also it causes the jungle and baron/dragon to mirror image itself. So your vocal/typed communication is based on two different views of the map.

Once again, this does not really solve the problem of champions who have skillshots past the view of your screen and you'll still have the same FOV problems if you come at a team fight from the top.

It's technically risky because we would have to add in a bunch of tech all over the place. Not the say it can't be done, but it's a pretty tough sell internally for the benefits since it's not really a full solution to the problem. Unfortunately, we're probably not releasing the source art for the maps for modding!

I'd like to investigate some more elegant camera control options that bridge locked camera and free, but I don't think that map mirroring is as complete solution as I would like.

Thanks for your feedback, even if we can't always accommodate all of your requests, we are interested and listening!
Communication need not be hindered. If you simply flipped the camera angle for the purple side, and kept it the same as Blue Side's camera appears the entire match, then it would be far more balanced. This would not hinder communication with teammates because everyone on each team would still have the same view, and you typically don't communicate with the other team strategically.

Seethman

04-12-2012

I apologize if this has been said already--what about an option that scrolls your window until your champ is at the edge? Instead of your image wildly moving too far, basically it's stays relative to where your champ is at, without your champ leaving the screen. You can scroll the window with the champ as a pivot point.
It's kind of a "baby full map scroll" but I could see that as very useful, especially in those bloody top down fights.

Edit: Alternatively, give greater control to the HUD, so it could be placed off to the side--or maybe even so it changes based on where you move your cursor (flips top to bottom depending). Maybe that's an option i simply haven't found (I always feel pressured into GO GO GO when I start a play. Bot game tonight will solve that!)

Best Atheist NA

04-13-2012

Quote:
Here's the thing, people who use free camera are the vast majority of our players, not the elite. I've been having some people collect more detailed stats on locked camera usage and we'll evaluate again from there.
I would reallllly love to see some of the stats on camera-locked players because I strongly disagree that free-camera users are the vast majority. If anything, its closer to 50-50.

For reference, here's a thread with a poll: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1781085

While it is still a small sample size, its good reason to believe that this problem is bigger than you thought.

Sedgitize

04-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcup View Post
I would reallllly love to see some of the stats on camera-locked players because I strongly disagree that free-camera users are the vast majority. If anything, its closer to 50-50.

For reference, here's a thread with a poll: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1781085

While it is still a small sample size, its good reason to believe that this problem is bigger than you thought.
I would like to add on to this.

That poll is a poll of players on this website. We can generally hypothesize that players who go through the trouble of the forums for games are probably putting more time into the game than many others (I would imagine the statistics show that far more people play the game than actively use these forums). If these are people that put more time into the game, then they are also likely to be players who are generally better than the players who don't put as much effort into it.

Now I obviously don't have the stats here but is this not a fair hypothesis? We can produce the theory that only about half of the players at this 'level' of the game are confident that purple is not at a major disadvantage. At lower average levels of skill, it is more likely that more people use locked camera all of the time because it is the default setting. As such we can hypothesize again that although the percentage may be roughly 50/50 for people on this website, it is likely that the issue is far more prevalent for players who put less time in.

Yes, it's all theoretical, but does it not make sense?

TL;DR: There are likely far more people that would vote for option one in the poll than option two, after we leave the setting of this website, as most users here are putting more time into the game than others.

JHouse0386

05-09-2012

Wanted to add my 2cents

you should be able to move your camera with AWSD i know thats a conflict with skill QWER...but at least make it to were you could place your skills for 1234 and be able to use AWSD for moving the camera...Which allows you to still use your mouse to click but not all this extra mouse movement just a thought

x SEM x

05-10-2012

Please FIX with one of the suggestions. It's unbareable to play like this. It's scary that I now only play Twisted Treeline because those flaws you can at least play around since the core of the fighting doesn't happen in those areas.

Zangam

05-15-2012

Maybe to break the cycle, make the tutorial force locked cam for ten minutes, then un-locked cam for another ten, then, give them the freedom of choosing which camera to use, and when. After the tutorial, you can have an option box pop-up and ask which camera they want as default going into games.
Also, can't you just mirror the top teams fixed cam with the bottom teams fixed cam?