Change Camera Lock (Y) to Center Camera On Champion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

zarbiz

04-10-2012

Has there been thought given to the idea of locking your camera relative to your champion, rather than centered on him? Say you start a match unlocked, move the camera down so you can see 2/3 in front and 1/3 behind, then you lock the camera and it keeps that position on your champ for the match? You'd still be able to lock it centered on you with holding spacebar, so the players who want it locked on center could still have that.

alaskaneagle

04-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarbiz View Post
Has there been thought given to the idea of locking your camera relative to your champion, rather than centered on him? Say you start a match unlocked, move the camera down so you can see 2/3 in front and 1/3 behind, then you lock the camera and it keeps that position on your champ for the match? You'd still be able to lock it centered on you with holding spacebar, so the players who want it locked on center could still have that.

I've mentioned this before though it doesn't mean riot has had a thought.. about it.

it seems like a great fix though, and almost so obvious that they should have put it into place a long time ago...

good post though

Sanjio

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
I don't think you understand my point about team communication, if you mirror the map directions for up/down/left/right are no longer consistent for people in the same game. Also it causes the jungle and baron/dragon to mirror image itself. So your vocal/typed communication is based on two different views of the map.

Once again, this does not really solve the problem of champions who have skillshots past the view of your screen and you'll still have the same FOV problems if you come at a team fight from the top.

It's technically risky because we would have to add in a bunch of tech all over the place. Not the say it can't be done, but it's a pretty tough sell internally for the benefits since it's not really a full solution to the problem. Unfortunately, we're probably not releasing the source art for the maps for modding!

I'd like to investigate some more elegant camera control options that bridge locked camera and free, but I don't think that map mirroring is as complete solution as I would like.

Thanks for your feedback, even if we can't always accomodate all of your requests, we are interested and listening!
People can & would adapt. Mirrored camera view for purple team would actually solve alot of problems & make many many people very happy. The way it is currently in LoL & every other moba is so prehistoric man. The 3/4 angle of the terrain makes sense playing from blue team but not from purple..its very uncomfortable & unnatural.

Also you make it sound like people would be so confused if purple team had the same viewpoint as blue. Communication? seriously? thats just a cop out. Its pretty simple really...players would still refer to mid lane as mid lane but now instead of top/bot lane they'd likely be called baron side/lane & dragon side/lane. Of course I know this thread isn't really about mirrored camera views but i noticed it mentioned here so I figured I'd give my two cents.

Edit: Now if Riot is truly "interested & listening" how about some feedback for the camera change petition http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1239123

boourns

UI Designer

04-10-2012
20 of 21 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarbiz View Post
Yes, you can look back into my earlier red posts in this thread!

tldr: this will completely bone you if you come at a team fight from bottom to top if you have your camera positioned for top to bottom movement and force you to manage your camera anyways.

boourns

UI Designer

04-10-2012
21 of 21 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjio View Post
People can & would adapt. Mirrored camera view for purple team would actually solve alot of problems & make many many people very happy. The way it is currently in LoL & every other moba is so prehistoric man. The 3/4 angle of the terrain makes sense playing from blue team but not from purple..its very uncomfortable & unnatural.

Also you make it sound like people would be so confused if purple team had the same viewpoint as blue. Communication? seriously? thats just a cop out. Its pretty simple really...players would still refer to mid lane as mid lane but now instead of top/bot lane they'd likely be called baron side/lane & dragon side/lane. Of course I know this thread isn't really about mirrored camera views but i noticed it mentioned here so I figured I'd give my two cents.

Edit: Now if Riot is truly "interested & listening" how about some feedback for the camera change petition http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1239123
Communication is just one reason why I don't consider it a good solution. I list some other ones in the same reply that you quoted.

Having seen the stats on locked camera usage it's a very small number of people. I would not consider impeding communication or making our *entire* community change how they refer to things in the game a good fix for this issue.

I'll only be posting in this thread to keep information about this topic centralized in one place. I read the other threads, but I haven't seen any new information to comment on in them that I haven't addressed in this thread.

If someone were to make a new thread compiling everything I've posted here, I would be very grateful!

Ricochet Saw

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-10-2012

1. Change the default option to be unlocked camera, with the option to lock it.

2. Press F1 to jump the in game camera centered on your champion. (you can rebind this i think)

ShadeeFan

04-10-2012

Quote:
Communication is just one reason why I don't consider it a good solution. I list some other ones in the same reply that you quoted.

Having seen the stats on locked camera usage it's a very small number of people. I would not consider impeding communication or making our *entire* community change how they refer to things in the game a good fix for this issue.

I'll only be posting in this thread to keep information about this topic centralized in one place. I read the other threads, but I haven't seen any new information to comment on in them that I haven't addressed in this thread.

If someone were to make a new thread compiling everything I've posted here, I would be very grateful! <hint> <hint>
Or you could just make purple's view mirrored for everybody, and not just have it a setting. Nobody would complain about being bottom left all the time.

There's also the solution of turning the map to be left to right like twisted treeline, then all the lanes can remain the same (as in top, mid, and bottom). It would require some effort, but not as much as mirroring the map for just one side.

SirLanik

04-10-2012

I'm super used to RTS games (all the warcraft/starcraft/age of empires/command and conquers etc) as I own and play/have played them all over the years.

And yet when it came to League of Legends, I found myself naturally enjoying the camera lock, for pretty much the same reason I enjoy it in things like first person shooters- it makes it WAY easier to aim things- for every skill shot, you know EXACTLY where the line is relative to your champion at all times, instead of with the mouse scrolling your screen, any time any thing gets on your edge of view, as you scroll (intentionally or unintentionally) your aim gets messed up with the scroll.

I can't count how many Kog maw ults I've missed when I've tried to unlock, or many times I've gotten ganked when trying to unlock to hit with it.

About the only time I unlock now is when I'm purple side, as I pretty much have to in order to have a shot at winning. I'd settle even for just an option for put my bars and map on the top half of my screen, though I know that wouldn't resolve everything. (and I know that would put me at a disadvantage if engaging to that area, though no more so than I deal with on EVERY engage with normal settings.)

Unrelated, but it would be less annoying if I hadn't been purple side of the map 45 out of my last 50 games.

Niegen

04-11-2012

I've seen you discussed Bloodline Champion camera system, and I'd like to give my point of view (pun intended) about it: I've tried Bloodline Champion for a bit around 18 months ago, and I must say the "semi-locked" way of managing the camera was fantastic. I've been hoping to see that as a feature in LoL ever since.

My issue with the "free camera" mode is that sometimes, with all the projectiles & effects, it is difficult to locate your character AND mouse cursor at the same time. You look for one, you lose the other. I like the pretty colors as much as the next guy, but sometimes, they just add to the confusion.

What I like with the "semi locked" view is that you should instinctively be able to deduce the position of the champion from the position of mouse cursor, and the other way around. It takes some time to adapt to. But since the "center" of the camera view should be right in the middle of the "Champion<->Cursor" segment, you can't lose track of your champion, and he can never be "out" of the screen.

To me, this is *EXACTLY* what I expect from a "locked" camera, be able to never lose track of my champion.

alaskaneagle

04-11-2012

Quote:

If someone were to make a new thread compiling everything I've posted here, I would be very grateful! <hint> <hint>

considering almost all new players start with their cameras locked I'd think the fact that it's such a small percentage using locked camera would be more of an alarming fact instead of an excuse to not change.

Besides if everyone had the same perspective of moving up the communication could remain the same. Unless you are talking about talking with the enemy team and really you shouldn't be telling them what lane you are in anyway.

As far as having them change the lane names I doubt the uproar about calling the lanes B, C , and D would be bigger than the praise from players happy the game is finally fair.

Besides B (barron) C (center) and D (dragon) lanes is a pretty catchy way to list them anyway. If we get a trend going of calling them B,C, & D can we get the perception change so everyone is going up?