(Guide) Emotions: The Driving Force behind Player Performance+

12345612 ... 29
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Korhallen

04-07-2012

I know that as soon as someone starts to show that they're a member of the Trophy Generation (screaming obscenities for not performing up to their "I game 24/7" standards, name-calling, etc) I shut down any desire I have to win and just do what is fun (farm waves of minions).

No one knows how, or cares to, educate their teammates anymore. If you do anything detrimental to THEIR enjoyment, they will throw you under the bus on the spot. It's disgusting what online gaming has become.

Nhan Fiction

04-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajo101 View Post
Agreed for all parts except 11. It is a game, no need to troll your enemies. Don't necassarily need to comfort them either, but in a friendly game I think that is going a bit far. Though once it happens, there is nothing wrong with feeling good about the enemy team tearing themselves apart. Now, if it was tournament/ranked play or something serious, then I suppose it would be okay. Just as a matter of civility, winning is very important, but not that important.
Well, I never necessarily said that you should troll your enemies, though the options are certainly there.

Fact is, many people in the LoL community do not have thick skins. Any sort of insult or diss can be be just enough to make a given person upset and throw them off their game. I find it to be a natural tactic that goes beyond game mechanics. The psychological component is always relevant and should always be taken into account, or at least this is what I believe.

DMPuffy

04-07-2012

I play better when I'm pissed off and have something to prove. Please troll me, it will give me a reason to care about winning.

Nhan Fiction

04-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyForNothin View Post
I play better when I'm pissed off and have something to prove. Please troll me, it will give me a reason to care about winning.
There are exceptions to every rule. Some people probably would like to think that they play better when angry, but I would say the majority of people are better players while relaxed/feeling a positive emotion.

Nonetheless, I can see why some players do "Hulk" out and become stronger players when angry or upset. XD

rajo101

04-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhan Fiction View Post
Well, I never necessarily said that you should troll your enemies, though the options are certainly there.

Fact is, many people in the LoL community do not have thick skins. Any sort of insult or diss can be be just enough to make a given person upset and throw them off their game. I find it to be a natural tactic that goes beyond game mechanics. The psychological component is always relevant and should always be taken into account, or at least this is what I believe.
Well, okay, maybe "troll" wasn't a good word choice. I personally just feel better knowing both sides had a good game and no enemy gave another enemy a hard time. I prefer not to encourage my enemies to jump at each other, though I agree that it is easy and to the team's advantage. Just a personal preferance, I don't play games that seriously. Though I can definately see times when one would take a game that seriously, then yes I would do it.

EDIT: Though frustrate yes. Just don't get enemies to get mad at each other. Also, I believe in my first comment I said section 11, I think I just realized it was 10. I don't think it caused any confusion, but JIC.

Nhan Fiction

04-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajo101 View Post
Well, okay, maybe "troll" wasn't a good word choice. I personally just feel better knowing both sides had a good game and no enemy gave another enemy a hard time. I prefer not to encourage my enemies to jump at each other, though I agree that it is easy and to the team's advantage. Just a personal preferance, I don't play games that seriously. Though I can definately see times when one would take a game that seriously, then yes I would do it.

EDIT: Though frustrate yes. Just don't get enemies to get mad at each other. Also, I believe in my first comment I said section 11, I think I just realized it was 10. I don't think it caused any confusion, but JIC.
Eh, LoL can be a frustrating game. With 10 people in a match at once, it is expected that at least one person will become flustered/upset at some point. I think part of the trick is hoping your team does not have the person who is getting too caught up in their emotions.

Nhan Fiction

04-07-2012

Cats.

CLG FAN CLUB

04-08-2012

Good read.
LONG read, but good read.

For more views, you should entitle this:

An in-depth guide on climbing out of ELO hell

:p

Rounder22

04-08-2012

I've played poker for 15+ years. Some of the things you discussed in your guide are touched on in a book called The Psychology of Poker by Alan Schoonmaker. It's a great read and applies to various games or endeavors. Discusses motivations, needs, etc. Online poker is now emotionless for me. I know my win rate and as long as I make good reads and play my hand correctly I will make a particular amount of money per hour.

These skills translate directly to LoL. Mistakes are made but you move on. Make up for it when/where you can in game and then review games later to see where you need to improve.

This topic interests me, nice read.

rajo101

04-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhan Fiction View Post
Eh, LoL can be a frustrating game. With 10 people in a match at once, it is expected that at least one person will become flustered/upset at some point. I think part of the trick is hoping your team does not have the person who is getting too caught up in their emotions.
I think I see what you mean. A game coming together without a single whiner is like snow in Texas*. It is an incredibly rare thing, but when it happens it's beautiful. The general feeling is the enemy team feels their team was good, your team was just awesome. This is really cool, especially when you have an ex-enemy for a teammate next game. I don't comfort them, and if problems occur on the other side of the line, I don't stop it. If they don't, I'm that much happier though.

*Note: I am not a Texan =P.

12345612 ... 29