Counter to Malzahar - solo mid

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

36t

03-30-2012

What is the best way to counter Malzahar solo mid?

His Malefic Visions just seems really cheap, it can wipe out a whole minion wave and while restoring mana to Malz. Playing Veigar or Ryze mid vs. Malz is no fun.

I guess Annie would be better, but are there tactics to beat him?

Spiral Shark

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-30-2012

Just play Kassadin or LeBlanc, verified counters to Malz, a generic AP mid nuker.

Also Ryze, in my experience, isn't too bad when facing him, just hug tower, grind your Tear, and wait for him to give an opening to wombo all over his squishy face.

Amoc

03-30-2012

Annie would be bad. Other than her Tibbers bomb she has nothing to use against Malz. If she didn't kill him within the stun she would die. Ryze is the same thing. Veigar is a bit better because of his range and how much he can hurt a caster, but still not ideal imo.

To counter Malz you need to be able to do a combination of things. First, you need to be able to harrass well, especially at early levels, because you can really limit his farm and sustain if he can't auto-attack to roll his MV over.

Next, you either need to be able to push well yourself so you don't get vastly out-CS'd, or you need to be able to kill him quickly. Malz's ult is awesome vs aggressive mid-laners, so unless you can burst him down before he gets it off you're likely dead.

I play Malz a lot and some good examples of solid counters would be:

Cass - She's a great pusher, has pretty good harrass, a CC ult (like Malz) and insane damage.

BroDrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

03-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoc View Post
Cass - She's a great pusher, has pretty good harrass, a CC ult (like Malz) and insane damage.
Also if you use Cass's ult when Malz uses his, yours will both go off at the same time, stunning malz and you will be free of stun and damage. Wait for him to start casting his, cast yours and double poison spam twin fang rape him.

Warrrrax

03-30-2012

Malt has pretty short range, so any of the longer range champs can cause him a lot of grief by harassing him and avoiding his harass entirely.

There are plenty to choose from: Morgana, Karth, Cass, Ziggs, Brand, Ahri, and tons more.

Boomerang69

03-30-2012

Akali can kill anyone 1v1in lane... then gank sides.

Amoc

03-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrrrax View Post
Malt has pretty short range, so any of the longer range champs can cause him a lot of grief by harassing him and avoiding his harass entirely.

There are plenty to choose from: Morgana, Karth, Cass, Ziggs, Brand, Ahri, and tons more.
Morgana isn't really much of a counter. She has no harrass really against Malz and they'll just sit in lane farming until mid game against each other.

As for longer range champs, it's really going to depend. Someone like Xerath just doesn't seem to worry me much. His Q is too easy to avoid, as is Ziggs', and because Malz's farming is pretty passive he can just dance around back and forth avoiding everything while letting E do its work.

Brand is a good counter to Malz though, because his pillar is harder to avoid. Ahri is another good one. Hardest overall that I've faced, however, is Leblanc, because she just completely shuts him down.

Sookee

03-31-2012

As someone who plays Malzahar and very well...Not much really counters him. He is the safest pick because he can AFK farm at the tower with his E. Someone mentioned Cass? No. I've never had a problem with Cass.

Kassadin is always banned.

Leblanc can be tricky but if you play your cards right you can own her once you hit level 6. You just have to avoid being chipped down. Because Malz can AFK farm at tower you can usually E farm at a safe distance away from Leblanc.

If you're getting consistent blues Akali will never be a problem.

I'm not sure why people keep mentioning Ziggs, Karthus, Brand or Ahri, all of those champions have to perform their abilities over a certain amount of time. With Malzahar it's an instant burst. W+R+E+Q+Ignite combo which devastates the other person at level 6.

Cassiopeia can be OK but it really comes down to who can hit level 6 faster. I've been hit straight on by Cassiopeia's ult before and if she can't burst me down before the stun ends then I just combo her and kill her.

Chankodi

03-31-2012

The counter to Malzahar in mid is a good jungler. For Malz to make the most of his "e" he has to push hard. This sets him up for easy ganks from jungle. One level 3 gank from Shaco is enough to put anyone on their toes.

As far as straight up counters go.

I find Malzahar a fairly minor threat when I play Lux. Why?

1. All of her spells out-range his.
2. Her harass is hard to avoid and can be cast from a safe distance.
3. Her lazor is bigger than his lazor.

Qeuscis

03-31-2012

Malzahar has no AP counter when played well. This is because AP's rely on their ults at lvl 6 to really combo. Malzahar has a combo interupt at lvl 6, making him very powerful against other AP casters. Kassadin is probably the best bet for AP though.

AD casters like Talon and Pantheon can destroy him very easily around lvl 3-6.

Jungle ganks do suck for malzahar. However, he can silence junglers who rely on gap closers, and tower diving him is suicide. He's no mordekaiser when it comes to ganks, to be sure.

QSS only stops him from killing people repeatedly in lane. Just because he doesn't have an ult doesn't mean he can't zone and harass like a boss.

Honestly, just play Pantheon or Talon if you really want to shut him down.