Champions with terrible passives

12345 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

That Other Guy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-28-2012

There are a number of champions in the league whose passives are almost worthless. It is my hope that if we list them all in one thread and explain why they're so bad maybe Riot will go through and overhaul or replace them.

Ashe:
Focus: (Innate): While not autoattacking, Ashe's critical strike chance increases by 3 / 6 / 9 / 12 / 15 / 18 % every 3 seconds. This bonus critical strike chance is removed after Ashe's next autoattack.
So basically she gets a higher crit chance on the first autoattack she does in a fight. Unless she's lucky and actually does crit it does nothing and if it does crit it still isn't much of a damage increase in any sustained fight. Plus building crit items renders it useless altogether.

Leblanc:
Mirror Image:
(Innate): When LeBlanc is brought below 40% health, she instantly becomes stealthed for half a second. When the stealth fades, she creates a Mirror Image of herself that can move, deals no attack damage, has 53 + (17 x level) less health, and lasts for up to 8 seconds. This can only occur once per minute, regardless of cooldown reduction.
Half a second isn't enough time to get anywhere and no competent player will be fooled by the clone and even if they were they'll just kill it then immediately afterwards they'll kill the real Leblanc.

Renekton:
Reign of Anger: (Innate): When Renekton is below 50% health he generates 50% more fury from all sources.
So basically you only get any benefit from it when you're probably gonna either die or kill your target before it makes a difference anyway or you're running around with low health, which is bad gameplay. It should either scale with his missing health % or be replaced with another passive entirely.

Taric:
Gemcraft: (Innate): Taric's autoattacks replenish his mana for 7.5% of the damage dealt.
As a melee support he doesn't get to autoattack much anyway overall and he doesn't deal much damage when he does so the amount of mana gained is negligible. Plus this passive screws with balancing of his mana costs.

If anyone has any constructive feedback, whether you agree or disagree with the points in my post, I welcome your input.

edit: Removed Xerath. His passive is pretty odd, but he doesn't really belong with the rest of these champions.

edit2: Removed Nunu due to the buff to his passive.

edit3: Removed Evelynn due to her rework (she has a new passive).

Folly Inc

03-28-2012

I pretty much agree.

Kagami

03-28-2012

Nunu is better than you give it credit for during laning since it allows for free sustain, and Xerath despite being odd is still useful certainly better than anyone else this list.

I agree on rest though all pretty bad ones.

EnigmaticBurrito

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-28-2012

Xerath's passive is actually a godsend against assassins with gap closers.

Havelox

03-28-2012

I disagree with Taric.

I would say you want to be auto attacking, as each auto attack decreases the CD of his Heal, let alone the passive.
3 second decrease on champions, and 1 sec on minions.

With the nerfs to all heals having longer CDs this is huge.

That Other Guy

03-28-2012

TBH Taric's passive is part of a larger issue with the champion in general, but I included it anyway due to the very low effectiveness. I agree I phrased it poorly though so I have revised my original post.

Xerath removed. Nunu I may remove or reword based on further input. Also I'll look into his passive further tomorrow.

Endrin

03-28-2012

i don't mind LB's passive or Xerath's passive but the rest I can agree with.

DirkTarTar

03-28-2012

evelynn's "passive" >EDIT<--- disregard
twisted fates' "passive"

add those to the list

Radiiance

03-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkTarTar View Post
evelynn's "passive"
twisted fates' "passive"

add those to the list
Eve's is already on there

Nea De Penserhir

03-28-2012

If Evelynn could actually threaten any common champion without being in someone else's lane, by herself, at early levels, then her passive would probably be one of the best in the game when running a 21/9 offensive/defense build.

It's a useless passive because Evelynn herself requires aid to assassinate someone. Which completely contradicts the notion that assassins are 1v1 monsters, some even cutting through tanks with little effort.

Sometimes I don't think people realize just how much damage 1 group of minions can do; much less 2 or 3 stacked up. Evelynn could theoretically take nearly 0 damage from minions when they respond to Champion harass; The issue is that Evelynn would just die to the champion anyways.

If she could 1v1 competently, she'd be a complete monster; Being able to ignore minions in the early levels to snowball your way to lane dominance is no laughing matter. If you give that passive to a different champion, odds are it wouldn't be considered worthless at all.

12345 ... 7